• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iPhone 5 to be unveiled October 4th

This happened with the 4, too. These things are practically going from the assembly line to the consumer before the glue has completely dried. If I remember correctly, it'll go away over time.

Word to the wise: never buy any tech product as soon as it's launched.

This.

Eh. More like never buy any new tech product as soon as it's launched unless you're willing to deal with some growing pains.

The first 2 days I had my 4s it drained a lot faster than my 4.

Ever since then though it's been the same, 2 solid days of use before charging. Not sure what was going on there, but I did turn off a few things I didn't use, like Siri answering whenever you put the phone to your ear and the phone isn't in use. Maybe it's more of a Sprint or AT&T thing...

Shocking how much better this phone is with Verizon.

I have been a Sprint customer for years and loved them. They are perfect for my use and their data plans rule.

However, it seems like the past few weeks I have had horrible problems with dropping calls and failing to get a data signal. I am hoping it's just a temporary glitch and not a sign of network overload here in Raleigh.

iOS 5.0.1 has been seeded to developers including a fix for the battery life.

Has anybody else had any data usage problems? My data use has been significantly more with the new software?

Considering getting Mrs. BSD an iPad. Should I get the original or the iPad2 or wait for the 3 to come out?

She really just wants to use it in the kitchen for recipes and stuff and general internet browsing for shopping, etc.

Considering getting Mrs. BSD an iPad. Should I get the original or the iPad2 or wait for the 3 to come out?

She really just wants to use it in the kitchen for recipes and stuff and general internet browsing for shopping, etc.

We have an iPad (original) and love it, but to be honest, if we could do it all again I think we would get an android tablet.

Still happens too often when your browsing that something won't work online because you're using an iPad.

Might as well wait for the 3, supposed to come out in the spring, I've heard.

my 3gs just started to have slow ass WiFi all of a sudden. Any ideas why?

I've actually been having data problems on my 4S recently. It's a new thing and it didn't do it when I first got the phone. If I'm using my data connection (over either 3G or WiFi) for more than a few minutes, I just get the pinwheel and my connection constantly times out. Streaming seems to be fine though. I can fix it by turning airplane mode on and then off again and it's fine for another few minutes. I have also noticed much higher battery usage while this is going on.

I hope they fix this issue with the 5.0.1 update because I'm otherwise really happy with the phone and the new OS.

We have an iPad (original) and love it, but to be honest, if we could do it all again I think we would get an android tablet.

Still happens too often when your browsing that something won't work online because you're using an iPad.

Might as well wait for the 3, supposed to come out in the spring, I've heard.

Thanks. And the lack of flash capability is a concern, but she can handle the iOs on her phone, so I don't want her to have to learn a new operating system. Now, if I could find one of those $99 Dell tablets I'd be all over it.

Has anybody else had any data usage problems? My data use has been significantly more with the new software?

Would seem to make sense now that Apple is finally syncing to the cloud. That said, I'm not sure what you have configured, so it's tough to say where the new data usage is coming from.

Often times you'll have the same problem on an Android tablet. They have Flash, which will let you access more, but there are a lot of issues with regard to media rights going on with tablets right now. Basically, the intellectual property holders are arguing that it's a new area and are demanding more money for their content to be accessed on a tablet, resulting in tablets in general being blocked off from a lot. I read a lot about people having this issue with the TouchPads. Fortunately, they allow you to adjust your settings to tell the server you're using a desktop browser and that fixes everything.

Fortunately, they allow you to adjust your settings to tell the server you're using a desktop browser and that fixes everything.

That's a feature on every mobile browser I've used, so that should be a non-issue on any device. Flash is really the issue IMO.

Often times you'll have the same problem on an Android tablet. They have Flash, which will let you access more, but there are a lot of issues with regard to media rights going on with tablets right now. Basically, the intellectual property holders are arguing that it's a new area and are demanding more money for their content to be accessed on a tablet, resulting in tablets in general being blocked off from a lot. I read a lot about people having this issue with the TouchPads. Fortunately, they allow you to adjust your settings to tell the server you're using a desktop browser and that fixes everything.

Interesting. I had not run into that on my android phone, but that's good to know.

What usually happens with us on the iPad is not so much that you can't access something at all. It's more that you can access it, but get a different/broken version, so you're not even aware something is wrong. For example we were on a site a few weeks back that was asking you to make a selection from a list of choices, but only some of the choices were visible to us and only some of those could be chosen. We didn't even notice that anything was amiss until I happened to go to the site on my phone and got a completely different list of choices. We then saw in the comments section that people were talking about how accessing the page with an iPad would limit your choices. However, you couldn't read the comments on the page when you went there with the iPad, so... there you have my frustration.

Would seem to make sense now that Apple is finally syncing to the cloud. That said, I'm not sure what you have configured, so it's tough to say where the new data usage is coming from.

Most of the cloud syncing occurs over wifi, so it shouldn't be that. I also read just yesterday that Siri doesn't make much of a dent either (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/02/siris-impact-on-data-usage-examined/).

YoungBuck, I don't know if you've made any changes to your email lately, but I can say that the biggest effect I've seen on my data usage is when I added my work Exchange account to come directly on my phone.

Backups to the cloud use WiFi only. They just released a study that showed Siri barely uses any data. It shouldn't change much.

As for the wife, I'd buy her the iPad 2 after the 3 comes out, it should be discounted and will probably be perfect for her.

I would not buy a female who is already used to iOS an Android device unless she is pretty tech savvy or hates iOS for some reason.

Flash is dying. Just doesn't seem like that big an issue anymore.

I've found it to be exceedingly rare that a website doesn't work with iOS. Like, count on one hand rare. Go for the 2 with the better processor. My original iPad can be a tad slow at times. I've found Android tablets to be less user friendly, so if she is used to iOS, it'd be best to stay in that ecosystem.

I've found it to be exceedingly rare that a website doesn't work with iOS. Like, count on one hand rare. Go for the 2 with the better processor. My original iPad can be a tad slow at times. I've found Android tablets to be less user friendly, so if she is used to iOS, it'd be best to stay in that ecosystem.

Word. I'm kinda tempted to wait for the 3 (and then buy the 2 at a reduced rate).

Back