• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iPhone 5 to be unveiled October 4th

Came out of the Chinatown metro this morning and there were like 100 people in line at the AT&T store. I had totally forgotten it was iPhone day.

I'll never understand why people stand in line for something you can just order and/or wait a couple of days and purchase without the line.

Yeah. FedEx is going to bring me my iPhone. Enjoy waiting in line, nerds.

The wife ordered a new iPhone online for delivery. To activate it though and transfer all her info from her old blackberry, however, I'm assuming she has to go to the AT&T store. Does that mean that she has to stand in line with all the people buying new iPhones at the store? I've never ordered a phone online before, so I'm just not sure about the process.

The new notifications and notification screen are really nice. It's a combination of how WebOS and Android do it. There's a banner at the top which shows you the content of the alert like in WebOS, then there's a pull down notification screen like in Android to access the alerts later. This screen also has weather and stock widgets for your current location.

I really like iOS 5. It actually seems quicker on my 3GS than 4 was. The cloud features and wifi sync also work really well. Overall I'm impressed.

So I gave in and ordered the 4S. Ultimately I'm too invested in Apple's ecosystem (I want an iPad too) to switch to Android even if I am disappointed with the new features. I definitely wanted a bigger screen, a move away from the glass back, and at the very least HSPA+. But it simply wasn't worth it as I probably would have gone back at the next opportunity. Plus, I don't think I would have been able to continue having my work email on an Android phone as I don't think their security is strong enough for my work's IT policy. The nice thing is that AT&T moved up the upgrade dates for those who got the iPhone 4 last year to November so they'll only have to wait a month if they want to get the 4S at the fully discounted price. I'm hoping they will do the same again in a year.

If you have a 3GS or a 4, there's no pressing need to get the 4S with the way it runs iOS 5 though.

If you don't have an iPad yet how are you too invested in the the apple ecosystem already? You have iPhone, i asume a Mac of some sort. What keeps you from switching to different phone OS? Just curious. I have a macbook and android phone and don't have any limitations. Maybe if i had an iphone my life would be even better who knows. Do you only use apple software on your mac (iCal, iWork, iWhateverelse)?

Came out of the Chinatown metro this morning and there were like 100 people in line at the AT&T store. I had totally forgotten it was iPhone day.

I'll never understand why people stand in line for something you can just order and/or wait a couple of days and purchase without the line.

Because they don't have jobs and need something to do/be excited about.

Gaming on the 4S is impressive. I had bought Final Fantasy Tactics on my 3GS and regretted it as it was unplayable. Same game on the 4S and it crushes it. No lag at all. It's a playstation 1 game for a frame of reference...

New phone is here.

I can't figure out how to schedule an appointment with Siri. It schedules the meeting but when it confirms and I say yes, then it doesn't do anything and says it can't do that.

New phone is here.

I can't figure out how to schedule an appointment with Siri. It schedules the meeting but when it confirms and I say yes, then it doesn't do anything and says it can't do that.

I can't let you do that Hal....

Trying to update the software on my 4 to the new ios5. It'll start going through the process & about an hour in, it'll say connection to the network has run out. Its done it all 3 times I've tried. Any thoughts on what to do?

Back