• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iPhone 5 to be unveiled October 4th

Droid = garbage. The iOS "it just works" factor is huge. It's probably why most of the Droid owners I know are either switching or planning on switching, and the data out there reflects that a lot of other people are as well.

Droid has some cool features, but what's the point when you have to disable all of them to get your battery to last more than 3 hours? My 2+ year old iPhone 3GS battery still goes all day with the most recent OS version. And never mind that the Droid ecosystem might as well be the wild wild west when it comes to malware.

What do the reports think?

Some suggest it will only be a minor update to the iPhone 4. Others are suggesting a major upgrade, and some are saying that an iPhone 5 and a minorly upgraded, less expensive iPhone 4S will both be released.

Anyone think that the iPhone 4's price will decrease dramatically after 5's release? I'm thinking of making the jump to a smart phone but I'll need the front-facing camera so my wife can facetime chat with her sister. Verizon told me the current setup (iPhone 4 is $200, iPhone 3 is $100) would likely shift down (iPhone 5 is $200, iPhone 4 is $100) after the release.

I have been waiting so long for this. My 3G is on its absolute last legs and it sucked they pushed back from their usual June launch. But I decided to stick it out because I didn't want to get the 4 so close to the 5 coming out. But since it's so late in October and my bday is early November, I might just wait a little longer and use bday money for this.

Anyone think that the iPhone 4's price will decrease dramatically after 5's release? I'm thinking of making the jump to a smart phone but I'll need the front-facing camera so my wife can facetime chat with her sister. Verizon told me the current setup (iPhone 4 is $200, iPhone 3 is $100) would likely shift down (iPhone 5 is $200, iPhone 4 is $100) after the release.

Some reports are saying the 5 will be $300. My guess is if they also release an updated 4S that one will be $200. Supposedly they are going to keep selling the 3GS as well for substantially less, but that phone doesn't have a front facing camera.

Some reports are saying the 5 will be $300. My guess is if they also release an updated 4S that one will be $200. Supposedly they are going to keep selling the 3GS as well for substantially less, but that phone doesn't have a front facing camera.

If the 4S comes in at $200, would the remaining 4's go down to $100?

Droid = garbage. The iOS "it just works" factor is huge. It's probably why most of the Droid owners I know are either switching or planning on switching, and the data out there reflects that a lot of other people are as well.

Droid has some cool features, but what's the point when you have to disable all of them to get your battery to last more than 3 hours? My 2+ year old iPhone 3GS battery still goes all day with the most recent OS version. And never mind that the Droid ecosystem might as well be the wild wild west when it comes to malware.

As in Motorola droid or as in Android in general? I can't speak specifically about the Motorola Droid series, but I prefer Android to the iPhone personally.

wrestler_excited_gif.gif

will be getting my first smartphone in time for Christmas (not sure if I will go with cheaper 4 or the new 5 though)

:laugh:

My droid goes all day as well on 4G LTE, sorry buddy. Once again, iOS fanboys love living in the past with their bashing of competition.

Your anecdotal evidence of everyone you know switching to Apple is suspect at best.

I can make it the whole day on my Evo and still have 35-40% left when I go to bed, even while doing whatever I want all day...just sayin. And a lot of the new dual-core phones have even better battery life than my Evo.

switched from the iphone to a droid charge a few weeks ago... it was a good move.

:laugh:

My droid goes all day as well on 4G LTE, sorry buddy. Once again, iOS fanboys love living in the past with their bashing of competition.

Your anecdotal evidence of everyone you know switching to Apple is suspect at best.

My girlfriend has a Samsung Fascinate and it's been nothing but a headache. The latest problem is that she just can't send or receive text messages - the phone says it goes through but it doesn't. Then there's the atrocious battery life that mysteriously started with the 2.2 update (which came out over a year after it was released). A buddy of mine who works part time at Best Buy was able to fix it - by basically turning off every feature that makes it a smart phone in the first place. She's planning on switching.

I read up on Android phones on engadget, which I would say is a pretty unbiased source - that's where I know about so many of the issues. They have also documented the significantly higher retention rate for Apple over Android.

Hey man, if your Droid makes you happy more power to you. I'll keep using my iPhone.

My girlfriend has a Samsung Fascinate and it's been nothing but a headache. The latest problem is that she just can't send or receive text messages - the phone says it goes through but it doesn't. Then there's the atrocious battery life that mysteriously started with the 2.2 update (which came out over a year after it was released). A buddy of mine who works part time at Best Buy was able to fix it - by basically turning off every feature that makes it a smart phone in the first place. She's planning on switching.

I read up on Android phones on engadget, which I would say is a pretty unbiased source - that's where I know about so many of the issues. They have also documented the significantly higher retention rate for Apple over Android.

Hey man, if your Droid makes you happy more power to you. I'll keep using my iPhone.

Samsung Fascinate. There is your problem. Just because there are more options in the Android market, doesn't mean you have the leeway to be a dumbass when purchasing a phone.

Google definitely loosened the reigns too much after launching the android platform and phones like the Fascinate are a result of that. Do some research before buying a phone and you can avoid these problems that you generalize across the entire android platform.

I read up on Android phones on engadget, which I would say is a pretty unbiased source - that's where I know about so many of the issues. They have also documented the significantly higher retention rate for Apple over Android.Hey man, if your Droid makes you happy more power to you. I'll keep using my iPhone.

I really hope you're not referring to that survey that came out back in August. While there may be retention issues worth talking about, that survey that said 94 percent apple retention rate versus 42 or whatever, for Android was total crap.

It was a survey, with apparently no control, of 216 people in "man on the street" type questions. That survey is about as useful as asking ten people on this board what they plan to do and then publishing "survey" results that say "ZOMFG! iPhone 5 gets BIG and HAIRY THIS FALL!!!!!! Thus says the Oracle..."

Back