• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iPhone 5 to be unveiled October 4th

Samsung Fascinate. There is your problem. Just because there are more options in the Android market, doesn't mean you have the leeway to be a dumbass when purchasing a phone.

Google definitely loosened the reigns too much after launching the android platform and phones like the Fascinate are a result of that. Do some research before buying a phone and you can avoid these problems that you generalize across the entire android platform.

We did our research. At the time she got it, that phone was very highly rated. And at the time, none of the issues that came out with the 2.2 update - you know, the one that came out a year after 2.2 was released - could have been foreseen.

Anyone think that the iPhone 4's price will decrease dramatically after 5's release? I'm thinking of making the jump to a smart phone but I'll need the front-facing camera so my wife can facetime chat with her sister. Verizon told me the current setup (iPhone 4 is $200, iPhone 3 is $100) would likely shift down (iPhone 5 is $200, iPhone 4 is $100) after the release.

:nopics:

:laugh:

My droid goes all day as well on 4G LTE, sorry buddy. Once again, iOS fanboys love living in the past with their bashing of competition.

Your anecdotal evidence of everyone you know switching to Apple is suspect at best.

I think your case is an outlier. I've heard complains about people turning off 4G and Wifi on their droid to make it last one whole day. The droid is a better phone, but without the battery life, its useless.

I think your case is an outlier. I've heard complains about people turning off 4G and Wifi on their droid to make it last one whole day. The droid is a better phone, but without the battery life, its useless.

Newer generations of Droids have all but fixed battery issues it isn't an outlier.

If you root your droid, it makes it even better.

Newer generations of Droids have all but fixed battery issues it isn't an outlier.

If you root your droid, it makes it even better.

I don't know what 'rooting' is, but that is the cool thing about the iphone - it works right out of the box. you don't have to change anything. also, isnt the highest downloaded app on the marketplace an app that is a utility manager; what does that say about the droid.

I don't know what 'rooting' is, but that is the cool thing about the iphone - it works right out of the box. you don't have to change anything. also, isnt the highest downloaded app on the marketplace an app that is a utility manager; what does that say about the droid.

That's the thing. The newer droids work fine out of the box, but if you want to root it, or have the skills, you can make it even better.

I'm not sure if it is the highest downloaded app, but on some phones it is necessary because of the nature of the platform. You can't do anything on a stock iPhone because it is so locked down. With a Droid, you have much more access and that includes advanced control over running applications that maybe effecting battery life.

Yeah I have a captivate and I hate it. I'll probably get an iphone because I love my itouch.

How hard is it to root the captivate and is there any risk to doing it?

The fascinate has never been highly rated, sorry.

Well that's not true.

CNET gave it 4/5 stars and called it excellent. http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-fascinate-black-verizon/4505-6452_7-34129372.html

I love it when computer nerds lambaste every day users as if they are idiots.

The best Droids are awesome. The iPhone is awesome. Depending on your preferences and what you use it for, both have strong and weak points. No one phone is perfect for everyone.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot.

So in short, Droid is better because you have so much more controls to fix all the flaws that iOS doesn't have in the first place. LOL.

Yeah I have a captivate and I hate it. I'll probably get an iphone because I love my itouch.

How hard is it to root the captivate and is there any risk to doing it?

It depends on how development is for that phone. In general, it isn't that difficult.

If done incorrectly, you can brick your phone, but as long as you follow instructions and never turn your phone off while rooting and updating the OS, you would be fine.

The nicest thing about doing it is that it removes all the bloatware that ATT, Verizon, Sprint add to the phone. Sorry Verizon, I don't want a blockbuster app that I can't remove.

So in short, Droid is better because you have so much more controls to fix all the flaws that iOS doesn't have in the first place. LOL.

Hilarious. My phone works perfectly out of the box, no flaws.

If I have the know-how and the inclination, I can root it to unlock additional features. It's the nature of the system, like upgrading a car. The car works as is, but you can increase performance by adding a new exhaust, suspension, engine, etc...

Just because the iPhone comes locked down tighter than a catholic schoolgirl, doesn't mean that that is the only way to do things.

I DO NOT TRUST A COMPANY THAT HAS 98% REVENUE FROM ADS. ALL THEY ARE TRYING TO DO IS SHOW YOU MORE ADS.

JUICE, amirite?

Well that's not true.

CNET gave it 4/5 stars and called it excellent. http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-fascinate-black-verizon/4505-6452_7-34129372.html

The best Droids are awesome. The iPhone is awesome. Depending on your preferences and what you use it for, both have strong and weak points. No one phone is perfect for everyone.

Yeah, I did the research for her so I remember it. CNET was what I used. We were down to the Fascinate, Droid X, and HTC Incredible. I think the Fascinate and Droid X had 4 stars and the Droid X had 3.5. The Incredible had been out for about 8 months at that point and was rumored to be discontinued soon, but obviously had an otherwise very good reputation. The Droid X was bigger and clunkier, and well, it was made by Motorola. The Fascinate also stacked up favorably in terms of memory and processor speed, and at the time was about the only phone on the marker with the Super AMOLED screen.

Well that's not true.

CNET gave it 4/5 stars? Stop the presses.

Most everyday users are idiots, its reality.

Can someone add a public poll to this thread to see what phone people use?

iphone
droid
blackberry
unsmart phone
will get new iphone

Yeah, I did the research for her so I remember it. CNET was what I used. We were down to the Fascinate, Droid X, and HTC Incredible. I think the Fascinate and Droid X had 4 stars and the Droid X had 3.5. The Incredible had been out for about 8 months at that point and was rumored to be discontinued soon, but obviously had an otherwise very good reputation. The Droid X was bigger and clunkier, and well, it was made by Motorola. The Fascinate also stacked up favorably in terms of memory and processor speed, and at the time was about the only phone on the marker with the Super AMOLED screen.

In general, Samsung is the last brand you want to buy. They do have a nice screen, though.

Motorola
HTC
Samsung

It should be noted, I have nothing against the iPhone. I agree with what DCDeac is saying. The best droids are awesome and the best iPhones are awesome. Different strokes for different folks.

I just hate it when people bash the android platform when they are in most cases, clearly wrong or uninformed.

We did our research. At the time she got it, that phone was very highly rated. And at the time, none of the issues that came out with the 2.2 update - you know, the one that came out a year after 2.2 was released - could have been foreseen.

As Android goes:

HTC >> Motorola >>>>>> Samsung

Back