• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iPhone 5 to be unveiled October 4th

To speak to the Droid battery life, I'm sitting at 60% right now after unplugging around 730am. I've checked mail a few times, looked some stuff up on wikipedia, played a couple games and had music going for about 2 hours.

I'm on the Bionic as well, so it's dealing with 4g.

Well that's not true.

CNET gave it 4/5 stars and called it excellent. http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-fascinate-black-verizon/4505-6452_7-34129372.html

I love it when computer nerds lambaste every day users as if they are idiots.

The best Droids are awesome. The iPhone is awesome. Depending on your preferences and what you use it for, both have strong and weak points. No one phone is perfect for everyone.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot.

Thank you. The iPhone vs Droid argument is so petty and tired. Both are great platforms. Once Windows gets the Devs to really invest in it, WP7 will be a great platform. They all appeal to different people, and there are more reasons to get them than just "you're a fanboy" bullshit.

I, personally, use the iPhone 4. I like it because I use a lot of Apple products (Macbook Pro, iPad, iTunes, etc.) and the integration between them all is just outstanding, and I expect iCloud to make it even better. Plus, you can do most of things you supposedly can't do through jailbreaking, so that's almost a moot point entirely.

My wife has a Droid. She's liked it and it's been a great phone for her. I'd say 90% of the apps I have, she has also, which makes things very convenient. The voice integration, notification system, and google services (especially navigation) are superb. That said, I do think she wants to make the jump to the iPhone after the 5 is unveiled.

To me, the biggest difference between the two lies in support and fragmentation. With Apple, being that everything is controlled on a very tight scale, you know exactly what to expect with updates and support. I know if something goes wrong, I can walk into an Apple store and get the help I need. I also know exactly what updates I'm getting and when.

This is the one area I thing Google needs to step up its game, which I think they're trying to do. Understanding the fragmentation issues from phone to phone can be daunting to the average consumer. I believe this is the ultimate goal of the Moto acquisition for Google. I don't think fragmentation is ever truly going to go away with Android, but hopefully Google can set some guidelines for manufacturers to stabilize this part of their business.

Thank you. The iPhone vs Droid argument is so petty and tired. Both are great platforms. Once Windows gets the Devs to really invest in it, WP7 will be a great platform. They all appeal to different people, and there are more reasons to get them than just "you're a fanboy" bullshit.

I agree it is tired. I obviously choose to use android devices and it upsets me to no end when people try to bash the platform because they either don't understand it or they opt to use a bargain basement phone that was rushed by a developer. Obviously, that is an issue with android currently, but you can't paint across the platform with such broad strokes. There are many good phones out there if you take the time to find them.

This will become even more true as Google reels in the developers.

I agree it is tired. I obviously choose to use android devices and it upsets me to no end when people try to bash the platform because they either don't understand it or they opt to use a bargain basement phone that was rushed by a developer. Obviously, that is an issue with android currently, but you can't paint across the platform with such broad strokes. There are many good phones out there if you take the time to find them.

This will become even more true as Google reels in the developers.

The Devil is in the details. For someone like you, or DC, or myself, we know this. For the average consumer? Price comes first, then love or hatred for Apple/Google, then whatever phone is most aesthically pleasing at that moment. There's a reason there are crappy Android phones out there: people will buy them. Consequently, this is why Apple has experimented with the whole $49 iPhone 3GS thing. The budget phone market is enormous. This is why I think the $99 8GB iPhone 4S being introduced with the iPhone 5 is genius.

As far as supply chains go, Apple has been experimenting with different suppliers, so I don't know how much I trust what has been a solid indicator in the past...especially with the case manufacturers already cranking out cases for the iPhone 5.

I think the Android fragmentation is overblown. That very "fragmentation" has allowed Android to grow as quickly as it has. I also don't consider an different UI screen a fragmentation issue, as many people make it out to be. In addition, very few Android users are on older versions of Android at this point.

Fragmentation is really a problem for developers to deal with, not Google, in my opinion. All they really have to settle on is a minimum version to develop for, a minimum screen size to develop for and minimum hardware to develop for.

The whole fragmentation argument is FUD that makes for a good bogeyman story that isn't really true.

I think the Android fragmentation is overblown. That very "fragmentation" has allowed Android to grow as quickly as it has. I also don't consider an different UI screen a fragmentation issue, as many people make it out to be. In addition, very few Android users are on older versions of Android at this point.

Fragmentation is really a problem for developers to deal with, not Google, in my opinion. All they really have to settle on is a minimum version to develop for, a minimum screen size to develop for and minimum hardware to develop for.

The whole fragmentation argument is FUD that makes for a good bogeyman story that isn't really true.

I think exactly the opposite. I think it's the biggest single problem Android faces today. When a consumer buys a phone, Google may release a bevy of awesome updates...and then that phone never gets the updates because of the manufacturer or the carrier. Plus, as you mentioned, if it's a developer problem, it's a Google problem. For example, how frustrating was it for folks when the netflix app came out, only to learn that only a few phones would be able to download it. A phone OS is only as good as the army of developers that are behind it. iOS and Android would be nothing without app developers. Keeping your developers happy is the REAL battlefield in the smartphone OS war.

I think exactly the opposite. I think it's the biggest single problem Android faces today. When a consumer buys a phone, Google may release a bevy of awesome updates...and then that phone never gets the updates because of the manufacturer or the carrier. Plus, as you mentioned, if it's a developer problem, it's a Google problem. For example, how frustrating was it for folks when the netflix app came out, only to learn that only a few phones would be able to download it. A phone OS is only as good as the army of developers that are behind it. iOS and Android would be nothing without app developers. Keeping your developers happy is the REAL battlefield in the smartphone OS war.

I agree, and still feel like the onus for developing across Android platforms is on the developers and that is not Google's problem. It should be the developer of the Netflix app that makes sure it works on most of the versions out there, and that's not that hard to do.

Those developers can easily say we will make an app that will work on Android 1.5 an above, on at least a three inch screen and with a 1 ghz processor.

Google's focus has been grabbing market share, as it should be, and to do that they created an open source model that let's developers add and tweak as necessary. With that said, there is very little adding and tweaking that has prevented apps from working on a particular handset. I don't know of many developers that are running scared from developing for Android. It's not that different than developing software for PCs that run different versions of Windows, and that fragmentation certainly hasn't hurt Microsoft. (Well you could argue it has in some ways, but not as far as getting a huge share of the market.) Now if you want to get into carriers locking out particular features (Verizon) that's a different argument.

Also, I don't know about the methodology behind this survey, as I haven't read through it all, but some of these are pretty funny. I think you and I would both get a kick out of some of these: http://androidandme.com/2011/08/news/android-vs-ios-stereotypes-and-lifestyles/

My brother-in-law works in IT and loves his new Windows phone. I don't think there is a lot out there in the way of apps for it yet but it looks like a solid, easy to use phone and OS.

My brother-in-law works in IT and loves his new Windows phone. I don't think there is a lot out there in the way of apps for it yet but it looks like a solid, easy to use phone and OS.

I recently read somewhere that windows phone will have 20% of the market share by the end of 2012.

The Devil is in the details. For someone like you, or DC, or myself, we know this. For the average consumer? Price comes first, then love or hatred for Apple/Google, then whatever phone is most aesthically pleasing at that moment. There's a reason there are crappy Android phones out there: people will buy them. Consequently, this is why Apple has experimented with the whole $49 iPhone 3GS thing. The budget phone market is enormous. This is why I think the $99 8GB iPhone 4S being introduced with the iPhone 5 is genius.

As far as supply chains go, Apple has been experimenting with different suppliers, so I don't know how much I trust what has been a solid indicator in the past...especially with the case manufacturers already cranking out cases for the iPhone 5.

This is why Blackberry is still chugging along without making a relevant phone in over a year. Most of the world still operates on 2G, or doesnt know the difference, and they are still spitting out crappy Curves to the masses here and in developing countries.

Also, when I was working at a firm most malpractice carriers wouldn't cover firms that used iPhone because of security issues.

That may have changed.

Google runs my life (gmail, calendering, contacts, picasa, gvoice, etc) and the Android platform just flat out integrates into far more smoothly. Natively integrated Google Voice for someone like me who lives overseas and travels a lot? Killer. On the fly wireless syncing of all my key information in e-mail, calenders, contacts, etc? Killer. Auto uploading and syncing of photos? Again, killer. I'm also a "power" user, so a phone that's more customizable and tweakable appeals to me greatly - I always felt handcuffed in Apple's ecosystem.

But - I can totally understand why many people prefer iPhones, they offer a lot of things that people (not myself) want. The fact that there's 2 giant companies putting out very good software so rapidly is a huge boon to all of us.

Basically you have to go all in with either Google or Apple to really make one better than the other. Most of the people who are very pro-apple have a mac, iPad, iPod, etc to go along with their iPhone to really get everything out of it.

As you said above, the same is true with Google with all of the Google software integration.

Personally I am in the Google camp with my Thunderbolt and absolutely love it, but if you are on the apple bandwagon, stick with apple rather than get frustrated because it wont talk nice with all of your iAccessorys.

Having as many real competitors as possible is great because it drives innovation.

That is, until they stop innovating and start litigating in the form of patent disputes, as Apple and Microsoft have begun doing lately. Microsoft actually makes more coin from patent royalties than they do from WP7 sales. It's ironic that Microsoft gets a cut of every Android phone sold.

Basically you have to go all in with either Google or Apple to really make one better than the other. Most of the people who are very pro-apple have a mac, iPad, iPod, etc to go along with their iPhone to really get everything out of it.

As you said above, the same is true with Google with all of the Google software integration.

Personally I am in the Google camp with my Thunderbolt and absolutely love it, but if you are on the apple bandwagon, stick with apple rather than get frustrated because it wont talk nice with all of your iAccessorys.

This is absolutely true, and is why I usually recommend Android to people. The buy in cost is so much less than Apple. Unless you're invested in iTunes, Android is really a much cheaper option overall.

Back