• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

iPhone 5 to be unveiled October 4th

As Android goes:

HTC >> Motorola >>>>>> Samsung

This is my preference, but HTC is pretty well known for their battery issues and since that is the key topic nowadays, I think Motorola is the way to go until HTC can get it straightened out.

Screw Apple and its proprietary bullshit.

Apple's tightly controlled ecosystem is about to pay big dividends when iOS5 brings free iCloud to every Apple user.

I'm really interested to see how well it works and how useful people find it. Once people never have to plug a phone in again to sync, never have to copy/send/sync a picture or document, never have to update or sync a contact, and can access their music library from any device without using a service or third party application...

I think Amazon and Google are going to have to join forces and offer the same experience, or Android devices will slip to being the cheap alternative to the iPhone instead of a true rival. the iPad having no rival at all is a huge driver here.

I'm hoping it drives Google to innovate more and chase Apple less. They need another Google Maps level product. I'm extremely disappointed in their Cloud offerings so far.

My contract on TMob is up in November. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like I will be ditching my Berry, going back to the death star and joining millions of minivan housewives everywhere with iPhone 5. I just want the one the most GeeBees.

In general, Samsung is the last brand you want to buy. They do have a nice screen, though.

Motorola
HTC
Samsung

I think if I were to switch it would only be for a Google branded phone like the Nexus S. I don't like how much the various manufacturers and carriers tweak the OS, add their bloatware, and then it takes forever for any updates to filter down if they come at all. And I'm not gonna lie, I haven't forgotten Motorola's quality issues dating back to the RAZR phones which were terrible. A lot of their Droid phones also have chitzy buttons instead of being touch based, though they seem to be getting better about this.

I really like the fit and finish of the HTC phones, but they seem to be the worst with battery life.

Samsung has the best displays, but they are awful at updating their software. Problems we had with the Fascinate are a big turn off.

I think if I were to switch it would only be for a Google branded phone like the Nexus S. I don't like how much the various manufacturers and carriers tweak the OS, add their bloatware, and then it takes forever for any updates to filter down if they come at all. And I'm not gonna lie, I haven't forgotten Motorola's quality issues dating back to the RAZR phones which were terrible. A lot of their Droid phones also have chitzy buttons instead of being touch based, though they seem to be getting better about this.

I really like the fit and finish of the HTC phones, but they seem to be the worst with battery life.

Samsung has the best displays, but they are awful at updating their software. Problems we had with the Fascinate are a big turn off.
Ideally, we'll see Google curtailing that quite a bit in the coming months. I wanted to wait on the Nexus Prime to come out, but was forced into getting a Bionic.

I think you are spot on about HTC. They are amazing at build quality and fit and finish. Samsung has very nice screens but they are lacking in pretty much everything else.

The big unanswered question is whether the 5 will have any type of 4G. I think LTE is out of the question, but I would really hope it at least has HSPA+ . If not that's going to really help the Googles.

I thought the most recent 4 already had HSPA+. I'd be shocked if they didn't move to a dual band single chip that is HSPA+ compatible.

Guessing 4G is still not coming due to battery life issues though, unless Apple comes up with some intelligent 4G switching tech that turns it off unless you're doing data-intensive activities.

Ideally, we'll see Google curtailing that quite a bit in the coming months. I wanted to wait on the Nexus Prime to come out, but was forced into getting a Bionic.

I think you are spot on about HTC. They are amazing at build quality and fit and finish. Samsung has very nice screens but they are lacking in pretty much everything else.

1028_428c.gif

This is my preference, but HTC is pretty well known for their battery issues and since that is the key topic nowadays, I think Motorola is the way to go until HTC can get it straightened out.

Those new Samsung Galaxy II phones are supposed to be pretty awesome though...

I bought my iPhone a few months ago and love it. I'm not super tech savy so it was a good move for me. It does what I need it to and more. I like the features on this. I was looking at droids too at the time but went with the iPhone. I'm not going to run out and buy Apple everything but the phone is really nice.

Has the newest version been left in a bar recently?

Back