• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is America the greatest country on Earth?

?

• Yes

Votes: 111 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 24.5%

• Total voters
Australia seems pretty cool, but the wildlife tries to kill you.

I can confirm this...

When I went to Australia, it was sort of a cultural eye-opening. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING seemed to be American. Yes, they had their own unique traditions of course, but the music? American. What did I watch every morning when I woke up? The NBA Finals. The shoe stores there had American colleges all around. (Mainly NCAA Mens Basketball powerhouses such as Duke, UNC, Kentucky). Apparently Aussies are big Heat fans...

America is everywhere, literally. The people we ran into down under loved us. It was kind of crazy. The only thing they didn't like about us is our gun laws and political ignorance. (They're required by law to vote in Aus.)

We don't do everything right by a long shot, but we are one of the most influential countries in the world. We take it for granted, but we all are blessed to have lived here.

by what metric? the U.S. is all over the place depending on the metric.

if this is about the best places to live i'd say switzerland, luxembourg, or one of the scandanavian countries if you can stand the cold.

funny i didn't even read this thread but i now see some other posters already agree with my picks.

Last edited:
football_shutterstock.jpg

Not sure, though it's a question I've been trying to figure out for awhile. If it was permanent, Europe for sure, likely Germany. But as someone looking to open my own business, I've come to realize the US makes it nearly impossible to attempt that, at least with what I'm looking to do.

As far as countries I've spent time in, the US would be somewhere around 4 or 5 on my list. I generally don't like the me first attitude that's becoming common in the US. Also a much smaller percentage of the population seems to be happy with what they have. Far too many people make the job their lifestyle while putting aside the things that make them truly happy.

But to each their own. I've loved certain places where the locals thought I was crazy to even bother visiting.

Selling black market organs?

The US is a great place to live, but we consume things at a rate that is unsustainable, so other countries and people suffer as a result. I can get real depressed when I think about it too much. That said, I love the diversity here.

Yeah, McDonald's comes to mind. Fuck that place.

The US is a great place to live, but we consume things at a rate that is unsustainable, so other countries and people suffer as a result. I can get real depressed when I think about it too much. That said, I love the diversity here.

So our awesomeness makes other countries even shittier, which makes our awesomeness even better in comparison.

Rich white people problems

Negative reputation.

White has nothing to do with it. Racist presupposition. Seventwofour is also not rich from what I know.

You're a miserable poster. I can't imagine how you think this way. Maybe if he was sympathizing with slaveowners who lost their rights, it would be applicable for you to say "rich white people problems." But the rich white people are the ones benefiting from these exploitations.

I know this will read like an overreaction to your throwaway joke/comment, but 724 is spot on, and you are being intentionally obtuse or ignorant.

Negative reputation.

White has nothing to do with it. Racist presupposition. Seventwofour is also not rich from what I know.

You're a miserable poster. I can't imagine how you think this way. Maybe if he was sympathizing with slaveowners who lost their rights, it would be applicable for you to say "rich white people problems." But the rich white people are the ones benefiting from these exploitations.

I know this will read like an overreaction to your throwaway joke/comment, but 724 is spot on, and you are being intentionally obtuse or ignorant.

holy crap this is an overreaction to an obvious joke.

millennials are such pussies

I'll add to my post that the USA is desperately missing a Ministry of Culture. We're the most advanced country in the world not to have one. I know it may be considered beta or emo or pretentious or whatever the fuck, but we don't utilize our brilliant literary/visual arts like most of the developed world. People can certainly expose themselves as much as they want, and access to libraries and art galleries is great, but art funding is the first thing to get cut in bad budgetary times. And a national commitment to the artsmay not seem like a priority at a time like now, but arts are a cultural representation of a national ethos. They reflect life, standard of living, morality, religion, history, philosophy, and basically every facet of humanity. Having a culturally educated population leads to so many other great things. Then maybe we wouldn't have unwashed rednecks like tintin everywhere.

Back