• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is America the greatest country on Earth?

?

• Yes

Votes: 111 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 24.5%

• Total voters
The fact that you can ask this question on a message board behind a computer screen with heating and electricity shows that you are doing better than most of the world, so the initial answer is definitely yes. Not saying that America is the only country but still.

Almost all of Tejas' posts are coming from Zambia. Vad is posting and rob Siberia.

The fact that you can ask this question on a message board behind a computer screen with heating and electricity shows that you are doing better than most of the world, so the initial answer is definitely yes. Not saying that America is the only country but still.

They have those things in Greenville?

The only country that what? Is the greatest?

I mean, we taught other countries this stuff at some point along the line. I went to France once. They had lights, microwave ovens, all sorts of crazy shit.

Remarkably, they weren't shitting into their hands and wandering the streets aimlessly when I went to Belgium either. It was pretty surprising.

It's funny how some of you can take a comment about being humble and happy with what you have and turn it into something that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

You have access to so much more than the rest of the world. Seriously go visit a third-world country, I'm not talking about a country in Europe. That doesn't count.

I mean, we taught other countries this stuff at some point along the line. I went to France once. They had lights, microwave ovens, all sorts of crazy shit.

Remarkably, they weren't shitting into their hands and wandering the streets aimlessly when I went to Belgium either. It was pretty surprising.

Yeah, but I went to England once. The beer was warm and they were driving on the wrong side of the road. it's amazing people weren't getting killed.

It's funny how some of you can take a comment about being humble and happy with what you have and turn it into something that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

You have access to so much more than the rest of the world. Seriously go visit a third-world country, I'm not talking about a country in Europe. That doesn't count.

So you're saying that because we can post on the internet, America is DEFINITELY the greatest country in the world. Just forget about all those other countries in Europe that can do exactly the same thing and also have access to so much more than third world countries do. They don't count. Somehow.

So you're saying that because we can post on the internet, America is DEFINITELY the greatest country in the world. Just forget about all those other countries in Europe that can do exactly the same thing and also have access to so much more than third world countries do. They don't count. Somehow.

I have not read this entire thread, but would be interested to hear how we are not the best country in the world. Seriously.

I have not read this entire thread, but would be interested to hear how we are not the best country in the world. Seriously.

We are ranked only 23rd in the most recent inequality-adjusted UN Human Development Index, which measures health, education, and income. I don't think that's the end of the story, but the "Nos" have a strong case.

We are ranked only 23rd in the most recent inequality-adjusted UN Human Development Index, which measures health, education, and income. I don't think that's the end of the story, but the "Nos" have a strong case.

I would not cite anything from the UN as a credible source. I still do not hear anything being a strong case for No. Not trying to be obstinate, just not seeing a compelling case for NO.

Let's start here:

When the shit hits the fan globally, who does the world look to? It sure as hell is not Sweden.

Again, not what I'm talking about.

Nowhere in my posts did I say America was the best country.

Last edited:

What initial answer were you talking about?

I was just saying that we are better off than most. Even if you are poor in this country you can receive food stamps. Obviously there are some countries today that have exceeded the U.S.'s level of success economically and socially. We are far from having the best health care system but I would never pick a third-world country over America.

I would not cite anything from the UN as a credible source. I still do not hear anything being a strong case for No. Not trying to be obstinate, just not seeing a compelling case for NO.

Let's start here:

When the shit hits the fan globally, who does the world look to? It sure as hell is not Sweden.

LOL. You "hear" no cases, are told about one, dismiss it out of hand without considering what might be wrong about it, and then repeat that you haven't heard a strong case for no. You haven't heard or seen one because you're not listening or looking for one.

When the shit hits the fan, the world looks to the G8 or G20. We lost our unilateral responsibility for everything sometime between 2003 and 2008.

That's simply not true. That's a reflection of politics, not power. I'm not saying that being the most powerful is equivalent to the greatest, but we're clearly the most powerful nation on earth, and it's not close. We're similarly the most influential nation on earth. (China is gaining, but it's still not all that close.)

LOL. You "hear" no cases, are told about one, dismiss it out of hand without considering what might be wrong about it, and then repeat that you haven't heard a strong case for no. You haven't heard or seen one because you're not listening or looking for one.

When the shit hits the fan, the world looks to the G8 or G20. We lost our unilateral responsibility for everything sometime between 2003 and 2008.

denverpacker has traveled the globe. tuffalo posts charts.

i am going to side with one of them here. just have not figured out which one yet.

Yeah, but I went to England once. The beer was warm and they were driving on the wrong side of the road. it's amazing people weren't getting killed.

That sounds terrifying.

Resolved: England is not the greatest country on earth.

To reiterate, the following is not the question under discussion:

"What is better: America? Or third world countries?"

Back