• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to sit John

I think something that really sticks out to me is how Wolford consistently throws it to the sideline on out routes with ease. I haven't watched nearly as much tape as Deac94 has, so he can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Wolford may be able to better make the throws for the offense that Coach Clawson wants to run right now.

I think that's the bulk of it. Hinton struggles with the out routes and Brent and Lewis do well with out routes.

I'm not going to go as far as to say Wolford should be encouraged to transfer, but I do think Hinton should be given the ball the last 2 games. We know what we have with John, an accurate passer who isn't going to really shine unless it's behind a good offensive line that not only protects him, but creates passing lanes for him. I think with the spread offense this staff wants to run, Hinton has got the better skill set as a runner and with time can be a good enough thrower, but he needs real game experience. He's had some this year and it certainly hasn't been bad, so I'm not really sure what their is to gain by not giving him these last 2 games. If Hinton hadn't played acceptable in his starts, then that's one thing, but he has and our chances of winning aren't really diminished with him in there. The QB position should be wide open between at least 3 guys going into spring, Wolford, Hinton, and Kearns and even 4 if Newman comes in and is good enough, although that is doubtful. John can be effective at the FBS level, but not behind our O-line as it stands now.

I have no doubt that Hinton would be the far better QB if he had Wolford's reps this year. Completely agree with your post. That would make it a fairer fight in the Spring.

I think something that really sticks out to me is how Wolford consistently throws it to the sideline on out routes with ease. I haven't watched nearly as much tape as Deac94 has, so he can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Wolford may be able to better make the throws for the offense that Coach Clawson wants to run right now.

I don't think I've paid enough attention to the types of throws that Hinton is making to disagree, but I would note that Hinton was 27-for-42 (64%) against FSU in a game that Wake mostly worked the sidelines.

I think they both can play and it is always in your best interests to have 2 QB's if you can keep them. Think about this season if we didn't have 2 from an injury standpoint. The tough part of Saturday is when Hinton was in the game he was never allowed to throw. After the 3rd time he came in it was obvious when he was at QB it was the same play, including on the goal line. I would like to see them play by series like the Louisville game. The whole alternate during a series mess just didn't work.

Hinton has had essentially the same number of pass attempts (172-178) and 28 more rushing attempts (86-58) than Wolford this year, so I think you can say Hinton has
had a good chance to improve against good competition. I think it will be a fair, open competition in the spring.

It was disappointing that the coaching staff came out of the bye week with a boilerplate passing QB/running QB game plan.

It was disappointing that the coaching staff came out of the bye week with a boilerplate passing QB/running QB game plan.

Yeah I agree with that. Overall, I was pretty pleased with how prepared and ready we were to play coming off the bye week, I think that speaks wells of the staff. However, the plan to use Hinton as nothing more than a wildcat back was disappointing. If you're going to play him, let him have the playbook and not just the read-option. He can throw the ball, let him throw it, just makes his running ability more effective. In fact, I was disappointed that when we had both John and Kendall in the game at the same time early, it didn't lead to some kind of trick play. We lined Kendall out wide early and handed the ball off to him on the sweep and I was sitting there thinking we're sitting something up for later in the game for Kendall to have a run/throw option out of that play and it never happened.

They used the bye week to try and heal the bruises on their QB's. They've both been banged up all year.

I think these are good observations. Speed can't be taught. Can some aspects of evading a pass rush can be taught? What about just "sensing" the pass rush?

I am excited to see how Kearns fares in the spring/summer.

Yes, certainly. In a pro-style system, for example, stepping up in the pocket and sensing pressure are two fundamental required of a QB. In a system like ours, with a weak OL, they should be as well.

I think they both can play and it is always in your best interests to have 2 QB's if you can keep them. Think about this season if we didn't have 2 from an injury standpoint. The tough part of Saturday is when Hinton was in the game he was never allowed to throw. After the 3rd time he came in it was obvious when he was at QB it was the same play, including on the goal line. I would like to see them play by series like the Louisville game. The whole alternate during a series mess just didn't work.

I thought the Wolford gets one series, Hinton gets one series like what we did against Lousiville hurt the momentum more than splitting reps within series like what we did against ND. It Atleast keeps the defense off balance if the play calling isn't obvious. If we are putting Hinton in for a play here, and Wolford a play there we shouldn't change the play calling at all.

You don't come out with a new playbook after a bye. The truth is, the personnel we have up front limits our playcalling ability. It's better than last season where we just wanted to run the same three handoffs to avoid Wolford getting hit every series after the first quarter. But we still have a very limited set. There's no run game momentum to open up the passing game or vice versa. It's a series of low-risk playcalls to sideline or off tackle for Wolford and read option and quick hits for Hinton.

Ya lost me Ph....please clarify....thanks.

I think he's saying and I agree, it's disappointing that Hinton was just limited to being a gimmick running QB in the Notre Dame game and when it became evident that is all he was in there for, it became very easy for them to defend.

Yeah we used Hinton the way would would have used Kevin Sousa

Yeah I agree with that. Overall, I was pretty pleased with how prepared and ready we were to play coming off the bye week, I think that speaks wells of the staff. However, the plan to use Hinton as nothing more than a wildcat back was disappointing. If you're going to play him, let him have the playbook and not just the read-option. He can throw the ball, let him throw it, just makes his running ability more effective. In fact, I was disappointed that when we had both John and Kendall in the game at the same time early, it didn't lead to some kind of trick play. We lined Kendall out wide early and handed the ball off to him on the sweep and I was sitting there thinking we're sitting something up for later in the game for Kendall to have a run/throw option out of that play and it never happened.

This kills me. If you bring in the "running QB" - particularly one who can throw the ball - you need to keep the D honest by letting him throw it. Unless you have Alabama's offensive line.

Back