• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to sit John

A little surprised by all of the negativity aimed at Wolford.

As a true freshman, he was thrown to the wolves and showed high level toughness behind a historically bad offensive line, and almost no quality skill player options. No QB in the world would have any success in that scenario.

This year, he played well in what was essentially an exhibition game (Elon); played reasonably well against Cuse, and then got hurt early against Army. Last week against ND (a top 5 team) was the first time he had been healthy since, and he moved the ball. Not saying that Wolford is an all-time great, but with an average o-line and a few weapons; he can score points (again remember he was playing HS less than two years ago.

FWIW, I like Hinton too, but he also is prone to making the big mistake, and he does not throw the ball as well as Wolford does.

A little surprised by all of the negativity aimed at Wolford.

As a true freshman, he was thrown to the wolves and showed high level toughness behind a historically bad offensive line, and almost no quality skill player options. No QB in the world would have any success in that scenario.

This year, he played well in what was essentially an exhibition game (Elon); played reasonably well against Cuse, and then got hurt early against Army. Last week against ND (a top 5 team) was the first time he had been healthy since, and he moved the ball. Not saying that Wolford is an all-time great, but with an average o-line and a few weapons; he can score points (again remember he was playing HS less than two years ago.

FWIW, I like Hinton too, but he also is prone to making the big mistake, and he does not throw the ball as well as Wolford does.

I like John, he's a tough kid, but compare the picks he's thrown to Hinton's and I think it's hard to argue that John is any less prone to make the big mistake than Hinton is.

Edit: Wolford 4 more picks this season, with only 18 more attempts than Hinton. I agree, Wolford is probably less error prone behind a good O-line, but behind our O-line, Hinton's ability to evade makes it at best a push.

Last edited:
Wolford's only two "big mistakes" were the two unforced errors. Other than those he had a pretty good game. Although our QB situation isn't ideal right now, I'm content letting Clawson and Ruggiero make the calls on who to play.

I like John, he's a tough kid, but compare the picks he's thrown to Hinton's and I think it's hard to argue that John is any less prone to make the big mistake than Hinton is.

Edit: Wolford 4 more picks this season, with only 18 more attempts than Hinton. I agree, Wolford is probably less error prone behind a good O-line, but behind our O-line, Hinton's ability to evade makes it at best a push.

Most of those picks came when Wolford was not very mobile due to his ankle injury. Again, I'm not saying this is clear-cut in Wolford's favor, just that I am not ready to close the book on him after his true frosh season, and only 3 games when he is healthy as a soph. I see potential in Wolford, and think that he can overcome the turnover bug (which goes beyond the QB, picks happen when the QB doesn't have time and the receivers can't get separation).

I think the consensus argument is still that John is a better passer, but I just don't agree with that. I have been firm Wolford-out after the start of the FSU game. Notre Dame proved no different. Hinton gives us a better chance to win, all things considered and we're under-utilizing his ability to throw the ball. He can run and throw. Keep the D on their toes by utilizing both. When John is in the game, the D is going to pin their ears back and come after him because they know he takes forever to get the ball off and can't escape the pocket. Hinton at least provides a wrinkle that makes it difficult to prepare for.

Most of those picks came when Wolford was not very mobile due to his ankle injury. Again, I'm not saying this is clear-cut in Wolford's favor, just that I am not ready to close the book on him after his true frosh season, and only 3 games when he is healthy as a soph. I see potential in Wolford, and think that he can overcome the turnover bug (which goes beyond the QB, picks happen when the QB doesn't have time and the receivers can't get separation).

I'm not ready to close the book on his career here either, but I think it's more beneficial to give Hinton the ball these last 2 meaningless games and setup a competition going into spring between Wolford, Hinton and Kearns. We don't need to see John get the crap beat out of him at Clemson or even against Duke to know what we have in him. At least play both the last 2 games, but let Hinton actually play QB when he's in there and not just be a runner.

Wolford also has 4 more TD passes than Hinton, with both having 2 more picks than TD passes. Wolford is 107/178 (60.1%) and Hinton is 89/172 (51.7%). I think the fact that our coaches know our QB needs to be mobile and yet they still go with Wolford is telling in their evaluation of Hinton.

Back