• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Melissa Harris Perry still on the faculty at Wake Forest?

Really? It's plausible to you that MSNBC has a PhD level news anchor with a white mother who would refer to George Zimmerman as a "white Hispanic" and to black police officers as "white African Americans?" You really think she's that stupid?

No, it's not plausible that something could be said on MSNBC that other people would find out about. Tree falls in a forest, and all that.

White Hispanic is a census term. It shouldn't be controversial. Alex Rodriguez is white Hispanic. David Ortiz is black Hispanic.

Referring to people as objects of their skin color..."shouldn't be controversial"? #PhSanefftotherescue

Last edited:
White Hispanic is a census term. It shouldn't be controversial. Alex Rodriguez is white Hispanic. David Ortiz is black Hispanic.

I'm sure the media throwing around the "White Hispanic" label in reference to Zimmerman were thinking of that when they used it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the media throwing around the "White Hispanic" label were thinking of that when they used it. :rolleyes:

What does that mean? You don't think media were thinking of what something means when they use a term? Stuff like this boggles the mind. This was a HUGE deal in Census 2000. For the first time, Hispanic origin and race questions were asked separately.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-1.pdf

Since the 2000 census, people are classified by both race and Hispanic origin. "White, non-Hispanic," "Black, non-Hispanic," "White Hispanic," etc.

Don't be outraged because you don't keep up with what's going on in the world.

What does that mean? You don't think media were thinking of what something means when they use a term? Stuff like this boggles the mind. This was a HUGE deal in Census 2000. For the first time, Hispanic origin and race questions were asked separately.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-1.pdf

Since the 2000 census, people are classified by both race and Hispanic origin. "White, non-Hispanic," "Black, non-Hispanic," "White Hispanic," etc.

It means the media was way more interested in trying to move away from a hispanic male killing an african american male, and get as close as possible to it being a white on black violent crime to sensationalize it.

You know damn well that's why they were all over the "white hispanic" label with Zimmerman.

Dude, I don't hang out with the Sociology department at the university and I only get counted in the census once every ten years. I wouldn't call my self oblivious because I'm not up on what labels the Census Bureau offers for race.

It means the media was way more interested in trying to move away from a hispanic male killing an african american male, and get as close as possible to it being a white on black violent crime to sensationalize it.

You know damn well that's why they were all over the "white hispanic" label with Zimmerman.

Sure, but you thought they made it up.

A-Rod is Hispanic. Ortiz is Dominican.

Dude, I don't hang out with the Sociology department at the university and I only get counted in the census once every ten years. I wouldn't call my self oblivious because I'm not up on what labels the Census Bureau offers for race.

Everybody should stay current on the latest trends from a pseudo-scientific field.

The differentiation is Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. They include Hispanic because they want the data.

A friend with a mixed-race family in NYC recently complained that they can't just register their kids as "mixed race" for public school. They still need to identify a skin color, which will not correlate to one of the two parents. The kids are both, with large extended families on both the mother's side and the father's side.

A friend with a mixed-race family in NYC recently complained that they can't just register their kids as "mixed race" for public school. They still need to identify a skin color, which will not correlate to one of the two parents. The kids are both, with large extended families on both the mother's side and the father's side.

So Mexican then.

Ph is correct about "white Hispanic" being a census term. LK is equally correct about the media's motivations for using said term.

Sure, but you thought they made it up.

Uh, ALL artificial categories of persons are made up. Anytime you start classifying people---officially and on paper--- in arbitrary groups rather that, say, as people (which is a sufficient description), you're making stuff up. Census categories just provide an amusing outlet for those of us who find this Dance of the Simpletons worthy of ridicule. For example...

Charlize Theron: African-American.
My wife: Pacific Islander (born at Trippler Army Medical Center, Hawaii)
Me: Native American (a proud product of the delivery rooms at Forsyth Hospital, which is located at last check in America)

Maybe we should stop treating people as objects of their perceived circumstance, and start treating them like people. I mean, it couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Charlize Theron falls in the hot as hell group for me.

Charlize Theron falls in the hot as hell group for me.

Who doesn't find her hot as hell? It's a large group we're part of.

She also had the funniest Between 2 Ferns interview by far.

Reactions: ONW
Back