• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is the growth of practice fields good for MSD?

I had no idea those trails existed. And I was a runner in college - probably ran 3-4 days per week around campus. Now I'm really curious what I missed for four years.

I probably "ran" 3-4 times during my time at Wake from '98-'02, and I knew they were there. How did you miss those? In summary: You missed a lot. I run them whenever I'm back in Winston.

Problem solved:

8waw4m.png

Can someone pls show where the monorail is going?

You mean Racer's post isn't monorail routes to connect the trails?

If anyone can make the monorail happen, it's Dave Clawson. He'll probably wait until after his first ACC Championship to ask for it.

Well in this case it seems as if he's whining about something that's not an issue... or he's just misinformed.

Environmentalist and solid liberal. Meanwhile we needed the indoor practice facility and he can go run somewhere else like Reynolda Village. Some of the same things happened a while back when we built the golf complex and the Miller Center and also Farrell Hall for the business school. Here we grow again. That is what happens to a growing university that IS in an arms race to compete for students and athletes in everything.

Late info (and post Reff, which saddens me). Initially, it is going to look bad. The trail, and even sections of the throws area, will supposedly be sacrificed as the construction staging ground for the facility (it has to be somewhere). The throws area and trail (if there ever will be trail between the facility and throws area again) will not exist in any "traditional" function (by this I mean the loop I've turned laps in a Pontiac Grand Am in - good times). Like it or not, it is going to be different.

Most won't care, but there are some scary good times that have been turned on the outer loops of those trails. One loop, two ... multiple loops (I know folks who have run some truly long runs in there). It is a small part of WF athletic lore, acknowledged. But some Deacon harrier greats have pounded rockdust on those trails. While I know the trails will survive the construction of the facility, they will be different. On to the next era, I guess.

Those trails were a great place to run in the fall and spring...sorry to see them get carved up but they were in a vulnerable location with athletic facilities all around. Expansion was inevitable to stay competitive.

Late info (and post Reff, which saddens me). Initially, it is going to look bad. The trail, and even sections of the throws area, will supposedly be sacrificed as the construction staging ground for the facility (it has to be somewhere). The throws area and trail (if there ever will be trail between the facility and throws area again) will not exist in any "traditional" function (by this I mean the loop I've turned laps in a Pontiac Grand Am in - good times). Like it or not, it is going to be different.

Most won't care, but there are some scary good times that have been turned on the outer loops of those trails. One loop, two ... multiple loops (I know folks who have run some truly long runs in there). It is a small part of WF athletic lore, acknowledged. But some Deacon harrier greats have pounded rockdust on those trails. While I know the trails will survive the construction of the facility, they will be different. On to the next era, I guess.

You say what? We are talking progress here for something important like football!!!!

I'm not against the practice facility, but I wonder what y'all's take is on the future of football. My guess is we'll see a decline in the next few years as parents consider the plight of Junior Seau et. al. and decide their kid's long-shot chance at the big time isn't worth the potential brain damage. Over the next generation, I think we'll see kids switching to other sports. If I'm a long-term investor, I wouldn't bet my money on football, I think it's at its peak right now.

I ran a lot in college and never knew until now those trails existed.

Oops.

he had a personal experience to speak to at least

I am amazed at how many people never knew these trails existed. I can understand preferring the Renolda Gardens trails, but these trails back in the woods were great.

he had a personal experience to speak to at least

He didn't have a personal experience with the trails. Doesn't mean they didn't exist. He was just clueless. The trails were important to minority of people at Wake for whom they were a part of everyday life.

He didn't have a personal experience with the trails. Doesn't mean they didn't exist. He was just clueless. The trails were important to minority of people at Wake for whom they were a part of everyday life.

The trails are a great resource for the students that take advantage of them. They have been a good training ground for the xc/track teams (I understand that the upkeep of the trails now falls to the university rather than the athletic department which is a little baffling). Wake has hosted two ACC XC Championships in the last 20 years on those trails. Hopefully our football team and other sports can take advantage of the indoor center.

I probably "ran" 3-4 times during my time at Wake from '98-'02, and I knew they were there. How did you miss those? In summary: You missed a lot. I run them whenever I'm back in Winston.

We used to not only do our PT runs for ROTC there, but we'd set up our training lanes on Thursdays. Would love setting up L-shaped ambushes on the Cross Country team. We'd come running out of the treeline with camo on yelling. Good times. And yes, those trails were awesome.

I knew about the trails but never once ventured onto them. Just never got around to it. I always assumed it/they were pitifully short - like a half mile or something. Am I wrong? There just isn't that much land back there. If you start walking through the woods behind Palmer dorm in about five mins you're going to be on the Old Town golf course, no?

Back