• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is there any NSA news that would surprise you at this point?

Re-Watch the series 24...you will get all answers. All disasters (9/11, boston bombing, [Redacted] hiring) are all being carried out behind the scenes, and CTU is our last defense.

I wonder if any of those NSA guys were ever top DPS in their raid groups.

i'm not; you're a part of the stupid boomer+ crowd who doesn't understand technology and probably thinks our spies drive around in aston-martins with machine guns in the headlights.

If anything, it's your (and my) generation that is generally the most reactionary against this bullshit. Playing it off as an "old guy who doesn't get technology" concern doesn't fly. There's article after article, study after study, about the increasing libertarianism and distrust of the government among younger Gen X's and Gen Y.

Last edited:
oh really? because it really sounds like "old people who don't understand how technology works"

BSF isn't saying that you don't have to play the game to monitor the chats (although I suspect they probably don't HAVE to, they could still access the chat logs in all likelihood) I think he's saying that there are so many people playing the games that it's a complete waste. Doesn't seem like he doesn't understand technology, it seems like he just doesn't think we need to put that much manpower into a surveillance of a virtual game.

we're talking about the same organization who monitors all email and cell data? monitoring the games is too difficult?

oh really? because it really sounds like "old people who don't understand how technology works"

This from the guy who said:
i mean you realize you have to participate in order to monitor chats and things, right? what do you think monitoring means?
You really think they were collecting the communications via human intel? Did you even read the article? And again, I ask you why you support the NSA and other agencies doing what is described in the article and why you consider it an effective use of resources.

sorry, i missed your earlier request. i did read the article and I'd be interested in finding one that wasn't written as a slam piece playing up the videogame angle. i am in no way surprised that the NSA and other intel orgs monitor chatrooms via engagement and/or other data collection. Us sitting here picking apart a very specific part of a program with almost no context is dumb. I honestly believe at some point technology will get to a point where a virtual universe will be a practical place to do business, just like the rest of the internet. I'm sure you guys would've bitched about monitoring emails in 1995.

I asked why you support the NSA and other agencies doing what is described in the article and why you consider it an effective use of resources. Nothing in your response answers these questions.

because it's no different than flying thousands of hours of drone flights over empty desert. you monitor things because it's data mining; in an investment. i really don't care if there is a bunch of guys playing warcraft monitoring chatrooms because that's a HELL of a lot cheaper than sending troops to fucking Africa or whatever to babysit and monitor situations/gather intelligence

Im torn on the issue. On the one hand, the idea that the government is gathering all this data on its own citizens and that the terrorism hysteria has reached a fever pitch is disturbing. I think it would be better to just GTFO of the middle east and leave those assholes alone as the best method to prevent terrorist attacks, but we are oil junkies.

On the other hand, I don't care if they have all this data on me because it is meaningless. Who I call and where I surf on the internet isn't interesting to anyone nor is it incriminating.

On principle I am against it, but in practice I have a hard time giving a fuck.

because it's no different than flying thousands of hours of drone flights over empty desert. you monitor things because it's data mining; in an investment. i really don't care if there is a bunch of guys playing warcraft monitoring chatrooms because that's a HELL of a lot cheaper than sending troops to fucking Africa or whatever to babysit and monitor situations/gather intelligence
I asked why you supported the NSA and other agencies doing what is described in the article and why you consider it an effective use of resources. As best I can make out your responses seem to be:

1. That the surveillance of gamers is no different than the government monitoring people in a war zone.

2. You're not that concerned that it might be a waste of money because it's cheaper than sending troops to a war zone.

Is this right?

On the other hand, I don't care if they have all this data on me because it is meaningless. Who I call and where I surf on the internet isn't interesting to anyone nor is it incriminating.

On principle I am against it, but in practice I have a hard time giving a fuck.
I guess you're not one of those paranoid potheads. You never make a call or send an email or text to a dealer?

I guess you're not one of those paranoid potheads. You never make a call or send an email or text to a dealer?

To be worried about this would assume the NSA listens to every call or reads every email. This would take an army of people working 24/7/365. They have a list of what numbers called each other. They don't have the content.

P.S. Bake has an intricate code. :

Let's get together for breakfast = he wants hash
The movie starts at 7:45=he wants a 1/4 ounce
I watched the whole game=he wants an ounce

Back