• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is there anyone that is not BuzzOut?

I'll bet you could smell the sulfer when K said that. What he was really thinking was, "that's one thorn in my cloven hoof I won't have to deal with for a decade."

RJ, you mentioned previously that you think that 18 wins is your baseline for whether or not you think BZ should be retained.

Is that still your number?

The reason I ask, is that I felt the same way at the beginning of the season. Having seen what we have seen so far, I pretty much think Bz should be fired now to get ahead of the curve on the coach search.

I said it at the beginning of last year. I haven't changed.

Barring a tragedy or something totally unforeseen, there is no excuse for a coach not to win eighteen games at Wake Forest by his third year. It's unacceptable.

It is a bright line.

A guy who writes Another Night Another Debacle is not BuzzIn. He's trying to maintain his objectivity but it's getting tough for the guy.

But why should the wealthiest boosters be supportive of Buzz when the rest of the fanbase sees what a dumpster fire he's turned our program into? What would make them draw a different conclusion than the rest of us? It just doesn't make sense, it's so blatantly obvious that he's the wrong choice.

Ron Wellman has fed them his Kool-Aid and then conned them with Buzz BULLSHIT! It's amazing that people who are apparently that successful, could also be so gullible.

Probably because they're the ones forking over the cash to fix the mistakes.

A better description would be that they are the ones enabling Wellman's arrogance and incompetence.

I love the city of New Orleans. If some one set fire to the place an burned it to the ground I would hate them.

Good analogy...

... At this point, without having actually met the man, I have zero respect for him. His constant excuses and blaming everyone else tells me he does not have the character, and culture, that wellman and bzz claim they are trying to base the program on. The regular stories like standing up the Nebraska coach are just further examples. Bzzout and it could not happen to a nicer guy. Wellmans refusal to correct the problem because of how stubborn he is tells me he shares a lot in common with bzz.

Surprise, surprise... The new culture is founded upon the administrations dishonesty anyway. That's not a solid foundation upon which to build anything worthwhile...

... We also have to remember that he obtained major contributions for the scoreboard and the Sutton wellness center. Not his job. That's the job of the development office. He gets things done. He has connections with NCAA selection committee. Which means NOTHING for Wake. He is well known nationally. This should help him get his next job. My guess is that his retirement is "managed" over the next two or three years. By my math he is conveniently 64 years old. ...

"I know he's hard-nosed. He preaches defense, which I think with any team, is going to be the biggest key to success, getting them to play defense. He's had success with the different schools he's been with. I hope he can bring that to Wake and get us back on the right track."
- Tim Duncan (Class of 1997), San Antonio Spurs

"Coach [Redacted] was my first coach in the NBA. We learned a lot with each other. That first year, we made it to the playoffs after only winning 17 games the year before. He did a good job here and I enjoyed playing for him.
- Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets

"Jeff is very highly regarded in the NBA and could have had a long career in this league if that is what he wanted. It is a great hire for Wake Forest. He will bring energy and enthusiasm to the team along with a ton of experience. Wake Forest has hired a good man for the long run. Deacon fans will be pleased with Jeff's ability and energy. He has a Wake Forest-type personality. It takes a special talent to be a Demon Deacon, and Jeff has that talent."
- Pat Williams (Class of 1962), Senior Vice President, Orlando Magic

"Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. His teams in the NBA and college have achieved beyond their talent levels. Recruits to Wake Forest will play for a coach who was successful in the NBA for a long time and will teach them what they need to know to make it to the NBA."
- Stan Van Gundy, Head Coach, Orlando Magic

"Wake Forest has definitely hit a grand slam with Jeff [Redacted]. I've known Jeff since we worked on the same staff at Davidson College back in the late 1970s, and I've always respected how hard he has worked at every step in his coaching career. People around the ACC will find out very quickly that Jeff is an outstanding basketball coach."
- Rick Barnes, Head Coach, University of Texas
"Jeff [Redacted] combines an incredible work ethic with a razor-sharp basketball mind and will certainly be a credit to Wake Forest both on and off the court. In our 30 years of coaching, he ranks at the top in his ability to relate to players and develop programs."
- Gregg Popovich, Head Coach, San Antonio Spurs

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"What a wealth of experience Wake Forest is getting with this hire. Jeff has been a head coach in the NBA, a college assistant and a college head coach -- at very different types of schools. Jeff has been an outstanding coach and person in all of them. Wake Forest is getting a terrific coach in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Mike Krzyzewski, Head Coach, Duke University

"I have complete confidence in the leadership at Wake Forest University. I know decisions made are done so to support the best interest of the students, athletic department and University."
- Josh Howard (Class of 2003), Washington Wizards

"I'm very happy for him. I had an opportunity to work under Coach [Redacted] in Miami. He was very passionate and very hard working and did a lot for me while I was at Miami. Then he moved on and coached a little bit in the pro ranks and then went to college and I think he's going to do a terrific job. He's very knowledgeable about basketball, very hard working and just an extraordinary human being. I couldn't be happier for him."
- Dan Majerle, Phoenix Suns Assistant Coach

"Jeff is a great coach who I thought did a good job in the NBA when he had the opportunity. He has visited us at training camp in the past and I have enjoyed spending time with him. He is a nice guy, and I wish him the best of luck in his new position at Wake Forest."
- Jerry Sloan, Head Coach, Utah Jazz

"I think Coach [Redacted] is a very talented coach. I had a chance to work with him my first year in Denver. With his insight and knowledge of the game, I can definitely say he's going to be a head coach for a very long time."
- Marcus Camby, Portland Trail Blazers

"Jeff [Redacted] is a coach's coach. He is in the select company of people who have been successful at the college and at the NBA level. And, after stints at Colorado, Air Force and Northwestern, he'll understand and embrace the unique athletic and academic culture of Wake Forest University."
- Fran Fraschilla, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"Jeff [Redacted] will be a great addition to the Wake Forest program. He brings a ton of knowledge and experience having coached in the NBA. His coaching style and understanding of the game will help Wake Forest achieve success not only in the ACC, but on the national level as well."
- Flip Saunders, Head Coach, Washington Wizards

"With Jeff [Redacted] there's a level of preparation and organization that he brings to the table. He brings a brandable style of play at both ends, especially on offense where he looks for versatile players with high basketball IQs."
- Dave Telep, Scout.com

"I played for a lot of guys in my career. Jeff was terrific. He has a terrific basketball mind, and he comes from the tutelage of Pat Riley. He knows hard work and discipline."
- Jon Barry, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"I am really happy and proud of Jeff. This is so well deserved. Jeff is not only a terrific coach, but a great person as well."
- T.R. Dunn, Houston Rockets Assistant Coach

"I think the world of Coach [Redacted]. He's an impeccable X's and O's coach. He has built the program at Colorado to the point where it is really going to take off next year. Also, his characters and values are second to none."
- Bill Hanzlik, Former Denver Nuggets Player (1982-90) & Head Coach (1997-98)

Alex, I'll take "People in the World of Basketball Who Have Lost ALL Credibility" for $1000.

Ron Wellman did not lock down the Sutton donation. I can say that with 100% certainty.

Reactions: DG3
They should have asked our former player Casey Crawford. He was willing to come back for an extra year if Steve McClain got the Colorado job but not if Bz is coach.

I agree with RJ (that felt wierd). I don't see this team improving on last year's 4 ACC wins and 13 overall. That should make it easy to get rid of Buzz.

Anyone have a link which says how many years Bz's contract is for? The only link I could find, the reporter says Wellman wouldn't say. I know he signed a five year contract with Colorado. Just wondering if we're gonna have to buy out another coach at the end of this season.

It's most likely 5, and we are most likely going to have to buy him out. Luckily we're supposedly done paying Dino, and [Redacted] doesn't make much anyway ($950k, second lowest in the ACC IIRC).

Anyone have a link which says how many years Bz's contract is for? The only link I could find, the reporter says Wellman wouldn't say. I know he signed a five year contract with Colorado. Just wondering if we're gonna have to buy out another coach at the end of this season.

It was in a conversation with Collins that Collins asked Wellman and the response was something like, "it is typical that new coaches get 5 year contracts."

Wellman wants people to give him a pass because of all the freshmen.

images

perhaps we are wondering why you'd keep a coach if he sucked for two years before that too

Back