• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is this a bad birthday gift for my wife?

Deacon511

Reaction score
First off let me say I think my wife is beautiful

165319_123217937747717_100001785332688_146688_3355076_s.jpg

She is a size 2 or 0. All she has been talking about is how she wants to start working out. At least once or twice a week she says this. Not to lose weight but to get toned. She has tried several times but then stops always saying she needs someone to hold her accountable. I think she is perfect in every way and she is wayout of my league. She is a wonderful mother and wife literally my best friend. For her birthday I thought about getting her a years worth of personal training sessions (3 a week)

Is this a terrible idea? I especially want to hear for the female posters. As I said she is not fat (5'6" 115-120). Before I make this significant monetary investment I want to make sure this would not be considered a slap in the face. So help me out please

Last edited:
This could backfire, but if your wife isn't super self-conscious or easily offended, I'd go for it.

just kidding; missed seeing what it was.

...rather than a year, why not just 3 mo or so and see how it goes?

Last edited:
That's a huge committment for someone who hasn't worked out much before.

If she has an interest in working out, it is best if she takes the intiative and starts working out or going to a personal trainer on her own. If it at all feels like an obligation or she is being pushed, then I fear she will no longer enjoy the idea of working out, especially if you buy her a year's worth of personal training sessions.

It is definitely a touchy subject but maybe you (depending upon your interests) could get a gym membership or training sessions that involves both of you, rather than just her.

I'd personally love to get a gift like that-- a well-toned body is a gift that keeps on giving! However, I would be careful about how you present it to her... you should definitely bring up the fact that you oh-so-thoughtfully noticed/remembered how she had been saying she wanted to tone up.

If she has an interest in working out, it is best if she takes the intiative and starts working out or going to a personal trainer on her own. If it at all feels like an obligation or she is being pushed, then I fear she will no longer enjoy the idea of working out, especially if you buy her a year's worth of personal training sessions.

It is definitely a touchy subject but maybe you (depending upon your interests) could get a gym membership or training sessions that involves both of you, rather than just her.

this is also a good idea-- with you being the accountability partner instead of some random trainer. it shows that you care about her goals too!

I think it depends on your wife's personality. Some women (even very thin women) have body issues and could be offended. But personally, if I had made a lot of comments about wanting to do a specific activity, then I would be happy to receive it as a gift because it shows you were listening and you were thoughtful about the gift. But I can absolutely see how another woman would be upset.

Do you have any other gift ideas?

yeah; delivery will be key in presenting this, especially if it's been a while since she's been at the gym.

i still think 3mo is a much more appropriate amount of time; you can get nice and toned in that time, and she can determine from there if she wants to continue on or not. 3x a week for a year is a LOT. plus, it wouldn't cost quite so much so maybe you could get her a gift card or a nice lululemon (?) workout attire thing to make it more fun?

She was worked out before and loved it and loved the results

Personally, I'd rather choose my own personal trainer if I were going to have one. And three sessions a week is a lot. I would worry that she might wind up having to cancel too often, especially if she has a job as well. You might want to set her up with 10 sessions with a promise that you'll keep paying for more as long as she likes it. That way if she's not into it or doesn't like the trainer, you're not on the hook for a bunch of unwanted training sessions.

I would say three months to start- if she's using a trainer 3 days a week, she should have no problem toning in that amount of time! And let her pick the trainer; I've had good and bad trainers and it makes a huge difference if you have the right one!

If chikdeac ever gave me a present like that, my feelings would be really hurt. I would try to put on a good front, but I'd be all torn up inside. It would be a tremendous blow to my self esteem and I could see myself not wanting to have sex for a long time after that. But that's just how I feel about it.

Getting a Red X, but if you have to ask, you probably already know the answer......It's a bad birthday gift.

When everyone asks her what she got for her birthday, she will say "my husband got me 156 personal training sessions." Even if she thinks it cool, it will become a worse gift as she tells other people about it.

Any way you can give that to her "just because", and not for her birthday? Sounds pricey, so why not just get 1 month or 3 months in case she doesn't like it.

Wow, taggers and parody posters are all over this thread.

yeah; delivery will be key in presenting this, especially if it's been a while since she's been at the gym.

i still think 3mo is a much more appropriate amount of time; you can get nice and toned in that time, and she can determine from there if she wants to continue on or not. 3x a week for a year is a LOT. plus, it wouldn't cost quite so much so maybe you could get her a gift card or a nice lululemon (?) workout attire thing to make it more fun?

How about a slight twist on lbE's suggestion: get the cute (and nice) workout outfit along with a "coupon" for 3 mos worth of personal trainer sessions - her choice of trainer & for the # of sessions per week that she feels fits best with her schedule? It offers a little more flexibility on the trainer part so she might not feel a push or obligation, and personally I'd give you kudos for listening to your wife!

Back