• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is this accurate?

Lite, thanks again for proving a point i've been making since the day we hired [Redacted]. If we don't have your disgust for him, to yo uand others that eqauls "supporting" him.

Like most here, I'm not sure about him.

We have a shot at The Dance next year and if we sign a couple of good players 2013, we should make noise in The Dance the following year.

Like all who understand the way coaching works, if we fire [Redacted] at the end of this year, we would be in the weakest position to hire a Wake basketball coach in over forty years.

Agents and coaches would see us firing two coaches in three years. They would see us hiring a coach to clean house and not giving him any chance to play his guys.

Why would any decent coach want to put himself into that position? There are lots of good coaching jobs that wouldn't come with a sword hanging over your head from Day One.

We have a shot at The Dance next year and if we sign a couple of good players 2013, we should make noise in The Dance the following year.

There are way too many unanswered questions to be making assumptions like that. I haven't yet figured out why the bzzinners (you're as much a bzz waitandsee as you are moderate on the political forums) are so confident in what we should do next year and in the year after.

rj, that is just a technique that Bush backers used on people that thought he was terrible so spare me the you hate BZ bs. He is a well paid coach that should be accountable for results and if RW was acting as his boss instead of his GM, he would be in real trouble. The excuses being made for him don't hold any merit. He is a journey man hired gun who should either win or leave town. This culture nonsense is getting old.

I didn't say anything about culture.

The reality is if we fire [Redacted] at the end of this year the better new options will not touch Wake with a ten foot pole and they would be justified in that attitude.

rj, no hot shot coach is going to work for Wellman because he is a control freak, so what difference does it make. I much rather have real good guy like Jeff Battle than a pretend one.

Unfortunately Jeff will not be our head coach. It's a shame his wife was ill when Skip died. I don't believe we'd be in this situation had he been been able to take the job.

If we haven't improved properly next year, we will be able to attract a really good replacement.

Firing 2 coaches in 4 years... madness
Firing 2 coaches in 5 years... A-okay!

Well, J Battle is the main reason I'm hanging in there. If you listen to the 2012 recruits they give him top billing over Bz.

Well, J Battle is the main reason I'm hanging in there. If you listen to the 2012 recruits they give him top billing over Bz.
battle shmattle. bzz has proven himself a good recruiter. in fact he recruted alex burks at co and the entire 2012 class for wake. he did not recruit the 2011 class. he was not here long enough...

He almost left for Providence last year. His son graduates from HS this year. I would not be surprised to see him leave after this year.

The only way I see Jeff getting the job is if after this season [Redacted] goes to the NBA.

bzz has proven himself a good recruiter. in fact he recruted alex burks at co and the entire 2012 class for wake. he did not recruit the 2011 class.

No he hasn't, and yes he did, and the 2011 class is not necessarily a negative, it just shows that Bzz doesn't have any recruiting pull.

Last edited:
Well I hope he goes to the NBA then because Iwould be 100% behind Coach Battle.

No he hasn't, and yes he did, and the 2011 class is not necessarily a negative, it just shows that Bzz doesn't have any recruiting pull.

my apologies for not making my sarcasm a little more clear. the jury is still very much out on bzz's ability to recruit effectively at wake. it does appear he got several of his targets for next year so that is a positive.

Yeah, my sarcasm detector didn't pick that one up. I hate to rain on the [Redacted] recruiting parade (not really) but [Redacted] didn't "discover" Alec Burks. Bzz's assistant Steve McClain did, through an old friendship:

"I'm a huge fan of Steve McClain's," said Steve Burks, father of Big 12 freshman of the year Alec Burks. "Alec likes him a great deal, too. . . . He's one of the reasons I let Alec go to CU. McClain had a lot to do with it. McClain is a huge part of this. I hope it works out well."

The senior Burks knew McClain back when the current CU assistant was on the Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College staff."

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_14864066?source=pkg

Burks was going to stay at CU after Bzz left, if McClain had been promoted to HC.

my apologies for not making my sarcasm a little more clear. the jury is still very much out on bzz's ability to recruit effectively at wake. it does appear he got several of his targets for next year so that is a positive.

it's absolutely still up in the air....and my concern isn't that he's unable to recruit guys with talent and potential, but is he able to recruit the types of players that this team needs to return to prominence? It's more than just getting your targets, it's getting the right targets

it's absolutely still up in the air....and my concern isn't that he's unable to recruit guys with talent and potential, but is he able to recruit the types of players that this team needs to return to prominence? It's more than just getting your targets, it's getting the right targets

agreed. i'm just giving him some credit for getting his targets. we will know a little more next year if those recruits were targeted correctly or not.

i dont get how the same 5 people can get so much amusement arguing the same thing over and over again. it's like a weird S&M thing.

Back