• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Wellman Losing Control of the Program?

We'll never get the full story on [Redacted], but I'd sure love to know. The whole thing is just bizarre. Wellman is still well-respected by his peers and that says a lot to me. He knows his legacy is on the line at this point, which is why he was willing to part with Grobe, and why he will certainly be parting with [Redacted] in 16 days. Make the right hire and I'll forgive, but not forget.

Wellman is still well-respected by his peers

Why is everyone so sure of this? Do others on this board regularly talk to AD's at other schools about Wellman? Or are we just assuming that because other AD's aren't releasing statements to the press about how much Wellman sucks, he must be well respected? Wellman and Buzz could be THE running joke of AD's around the ACC and country and it's unlikely we'd ever know it. Perhaps he's admired for his ability to fail miserably, while avoiding any real pressure from his donors and continuing to earn high six figure and seven figure salaries? With that in mind, maybe that's why other coaches "respect" Buzz so much.

Why is everyone so sure of this? Do others on this board regularly talk to AD's at other schools about Wellman? Or are we just assuming that because other AD's aren't releasing statements to the press about how much Wellman sucks, he must be well respected? Wellman and Buzz could be THE running joke of AD's around the ACC and country and it's unlikely we'd ever know it. Perhaps he's admired for his ability to fail miserably, while avoiding any real pressure from his donors and continuing to earn high six figure and seven figure salaries? With that in mind, maybe that's why other coaches "respect" Buzz so much.

Maybe the real question is: why does it matter? How does it help the men's basketball team that Stanford's AD respects Wellman? Did our football team get more wins because Wellman is liked by Pat Hayden? This notion of him being well-respected only helps to fuel the idea that we should trust in him, while our product suffers, because others do.

And I do know of at least one athletic director within the ACC that has been extremely critical of Wellman within the past few years (albeit privately), so there's at least one that doesn't buy Wellman as the great and powerful Oz.

With all that being said, I hope he proves me wrong. If coaches want to work for him and he's well thought of, then we'll end up with a great basketball coach, right?

I can tell you that one AD told me that Wellman is highly regarded by other ADs. Take that FWIW.

I'd argue that he's had way too much control over the program. There's been no oversight and that's the real problem

I can tell you that one AD told me that Wellman is highly regarded by other ADs. Take that FWIW.

He was highly regarded by me and most Wake Forest fans not that long ago. The absurdity of the Buzz hire is only just now becoming totally apparent to those who don't live & breathe Wake Forest. Timing is everything. I'm sure Wellman was highly regarded at one point. I have a hard time believing his reputation hasn't taken a serious hit from this Buzz ordeal. It just seems like a silly argument to make in support of Wellman, especially with little ability to know whether it's currently true or not...nearly as bad as the "Dino was bad, so that justified Buzz" argument. And like wvu said above, does it really matter anyway?

Not calling you out or doubting what you've been told. Just responding to the thread in general.

Hell, if you know your school can beat Wake Forest's ass in any sport, youre gonna give nothing but praise to LOWF and the AD.
Dook and The Goats heap praise on our AD's ability....to run progams into the ground.
So they can win by 33 points on Saturday...after a hangover from a big game two days before??

This is a load of crap.
THe guy has lost his mojo.
It's time to hit the reset button on many levels.
Wake Forest is like a flea fart in a hurricane right now.

Yes it matters. We want him to be well-regarded by his peers (ADs and coaches) so we can make the best hire possible in 16 days.

Yes it matters. We want him to be well-regarded by his peers (ADs and coaches) so we can make the best hire possible in 16 days.

It's low on the list IMO. Salary, contract, facilities, conference, recruiting budget, etc, etc all seem far more important. Noted, it sucks to work for a bad boss, but anyone who looks at Wellman's fake-tanned face knows he won't be here forever...he looked old at the Clawson presser. A good coach is going to be the highest paid employee at the school and will have plenty of sway around the athletic department. Skip made all sorts of crap happen that was outside of the "conservative" nature of Ronald Wellman.

I don't think any of our candidates are going to be in the position of tail wagging the dog like a K or Roy. So I think Ron's reputation as a boss as well as a competent AD is a very important factor in who we hire. I know you guys want to get rid of him but it's not happening, so you might as well get over it. Instead, you need to hope he has the skills to pull of the best hire possible.

I'd also bet if you polled other ACC coaches most would say that [Redacted] is highly regarded and is an excellent coach. That being said, I really don't think we should care what other AD's think about Wellman.

Why is everyone so sure of this? Do others on this board regularly talk to AD's at other schools about Wellman? Or are we just assuming that because other AD's aren't releasing statements to the press about how much Wellman sucks, he must be well respected? Wellman and Buzz could be THE running joke of AD's around the ACC and country and it's unlikely we'd ever know it.
He's chairman of the NCAA selection committee. He's the dean of ACC AD's. He was named AD of the Year by Sports Business Journal in 2008. I'm sure many of his peers are wondering how he screwed up so badly, but it's pretty clear he's been well respected.

He's chairman of the NCAA selection committee. He's the dean of ACC AD's. He was named AD of the Year by Sports Business Journal in 2008. I'm sure many of his peers are wondering how he screwed up so badly, but it's pretty clear he's been well respected.

And this season he gets to hear the only two mentions of Wake Forest in the seeding process- and both in the same breath, about the same team. UNC- worst loss: Wake. Worst win: Wake. I believe it's now 208 weeks since Wake even received a poll vote in basketball.

No one has argued that he hasn't been well respected in the past. The NCAA and ACC stuff was set in motion years ago. That award was 8 years ago. You don't think anything has changed in the last 2-4 years regarding his reputation? I just think it's silly to trot out the unknowable/unprovable "BUT WELLMAN IS STILL WELL RESPECTED!!!" argument as if it somehow proves that the Buzz hire was in any acceptable, explainable, justifiable, etc or that he's obviously going to get it right this time around after he's shown a need to be overbearing and irrational in his decisions in the past. Hell, I lose respect for peers for a lot less failure than Wellman has had lately. There's virtually no way that his reputation hasn't taken a hit.

Back