• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is WFU vs. FSU a Rivalry Game?

I'm pretty sure 20 years is the longest FSU football has been in a conference. That's long time for a former independent to regularly play a team.

if they move us to the acc north, who will be our rival?

This. Remember, we recruit a lot of guys from the state of Florida. They naturally look forward to beating FSU, since many of them may have been snubbed by the Seminoles. I agree that the three Big Four teams would be our top three rivals, but after that I think I would put FSU next in line. Obviously, though, FSU is not going to consider us pretty much anywhere on the radar as a rival.

This is going probably going to get me some shit (and maybe rightfully so), but the players don't decide who Wake's rivals are.

I think the game has had a little more meaning added to it since expansion and it has become a divisional game. It is an important game to win if you want to make the championship but not really any more important than any other divisional game.

Chris and Stoneville are regular posters here.

and have been since 1998 (other board).

I bet if you polled every Seminole before the ACC championship this year when you guys play GT, 90 percent will say they are rooting for WF. If you were our rival, that wouldn't be the case.

Is the wolf a rival to the lamb?

FSU isn't on our level. We have more post-2004 expansion ACC championships, BCS berths, coach of the year awards, inspirational movies, and NFL busts than they do. FSU wishes it had our post- 2004 expansion history.

Is the wolf a rival to the lamb?

FSU isn't on our level. We have more post-2004 expansion ACC championships, BCS berths, coach of the year awards, inspirational movies, and NFL busts than they do. FSU wishes it had our post- 2004 expansion history.

Since I root for the FSU athletics program and not just FSU football program, I wouldn't trade places with any other team. College rivals are in all sports, not just one.

I didn't mean to insinuate that this should be the case. I just pointed out that there has to be a little extra incentive for WF players from the state of Florida....of which we have many....when we play FSU (or Miami, for that matter...but we just play FSU every year because they are in our division.)

Agreed.

Nobody considers Wake a rivalry game.

This.

As much as I love Wake athletics, we're the little kid on the block that no one thinks about enough to despise, and certainly no other fan base spends their year between seasons dreaming of finally beating the hated Deacons.

Yes, we are LOWF, which we should take as a point of pride and stop the delusions that we are some big-time football operation.

If the ACC were being created today, we would not even be allowed in the meeting.

Wake Vandy needs a trophy. Magnolia Cup?

This.

As much as I love Wake athletics, we're the little kid on the block that no one thinks about enough to despise, and certainly no other fan base spends their year between seasons dreaming of finally beating the hated Deacons.

Yes, we are LOWF, which we should take as a point of pride and stop the delusions that we are some big-time football operation.

If the ACC were being created today, we would not even be allowed in the meeting.

I wish we could go back to the old board and view the threads after the Orange Bowl season. A number of posters were predicting a rash of 4-star recruits, and even discussion of whether or not Wake could compete for a national championship. Not to be LOWF, but we "are who we are". For example, I'm puzzled but not amazed that we've lost recruits this year to UNC who don;t even know who their coach will be or if they will be eligible to compete for a bowl for the next few years.

Back