• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Isaac Haas

I was told this was not initiated by WFU.

I wasn't told anything else, so I don't know any details or reasons. We still want him and are trying to keep him.

In all honesty, I can't imagine ANYONE (who has any chance of playing at any other decent school) signing to play for bzz. He's a terrible coach with a dismal career record. Plus, he's a dork with no charisma whatsoever. I would think that only players who have some inherent love for Wake Forest or who have absolutely no other decent options would come here. Is UAB decent? Maybe in terms of being close to the Haas home, it is.

Except a handful of ex-NBA players have sent their kids his way. Granted, none of the kids had obvious NBA talent, but Alec Burks is playing in the NBA and pretty sure he had one other ex-NBAer's son at Colorado.

It's interesting. He can't be a terrible teacher or those guys would have sent their kids elsewhere, right? Notice I'm not saying he's not a terrible coach, only that he is [may] not a terrible teacher.

Right on time. I imagine you to be a walker kneeling next to a deer along a back road Georgia highway chewing on his guts only to get pinged by your iPhone that jaybone has posted. You stop chewing on the deer, tap out a short bile infused post, hit Post. And then return to your deer.

So weird.

Except a handful of ex-NBA players have sent their kids his way. Granted, none of the kids had obvious NBA talent, but Alec Burks is playing in the NBA and pretty sure he had one other ex-NBAer's son at Colorado.

It's interesting. He can't be a terrible teacher or those guys would have sent their kids elsewhere, right? Notice I'm not saying he's not a terrible coach, only that he is [may] not a terrible teacher.

lol

Notice I'm not saying he's not a terrible coach, only that he is [may] not a terrible teacher.

If he's not a terrible teacher, can you name some of the players he has developed? The back rubs in practice and comments like "I think you're better than Ryan Kelly" just don't scream great teacher to me.

He's terrible

In many aspects of leading an ACC program, hell yes, but he's got a great collection of kids, all but two who have 2 7/8 years of eligibility left. And we'll probably win 17/18 games this year with a chance for more.

I worry what his ceiling is (that 17/18 games), but a lot of college athletics is about confidence and momentum (as well as coaching). If the kids we have don't get hammered by Kansas and go into conference play with 2 losses - and then get off the schnide on the road sometime in January (@Clemson, then @VTech), we could see post season this year. The last three years there have been so many different reasons for us to play tight and we have.

If he's not a terrible teacher, can you name some of the players he has developed? The back rubs in practice and comments like "I think you're better than Ryan Kelly" just don't scream great teacher to me.

No, I don't think I will. If someone else asked me I would but I'm gonna hit the gym early rather than spend time on it for you. Alec Burks obviously comes to mind as he was a 3star recruit turned 1st round NBA pick. I'm sure his Daddy is happy he went to Colorado regardless of who coached him up late.

Given the dumpster fire that our program has been the past 3 years, it's fun to act like [Redacted] doesn't have a single redeeming quality or an ounce of basketball knowledge. It's not really true obviously - he's coached in the NBA, sent kids to the NBA, is well-thought of in coaching circles for his knowledge of the game and scouting ability, etc... Throw in Rusty and Chill along with Wake's history, excellent academics, and a chance to play in the ACC which is now the best conference in the country - yeah, it shouldn't be that tough a sell for anyone near or just outside of the top 100.

He's just a total boob, he's old, out of touch with kids, doesn't recruit well, is horrible with the media and can't connect with fans. He did build something here heading into year 4 - and it's not total garbage. There's a reason most fans really like the makeup of this team. Codi and Devin could be the core of a good team during their junior and senior years - it just took too long to get to mediocre, and there aren't many signs that we'll push through mediocre anytime soon. Plus he and Wellman have treated the fans like we're all complete morons since the hire, and all it's done is to pour gasoline on the fire that many of our most dedicated fans have been building under a [Redacted] effigy. When even Dan Collins admits the outrage is justified in almost every column he writes these days, you know it was a horrible strategy.

That being said, this is still a terrific fit for Haas. He'll get two years playing next to Devin Thomas while he develops, and he'll have a highly rated pass-first point guard to play with for his entire career. He's a smart kid and a Christian, and he'll get a fantastic education at a great school where he'd fit in perfectly.

I hope he looks past the uncertainty of [Redacted], because if the players have stuck with it this long it's not like anyone's bolting if he's replaced in the next year or two. Wake is still a better choice than UAB, even if his entire AAU team is going there. I can't blame the kid for having second thoughts - sometimes it's hard to make the better long-term decision when there's immediate gratification texting you day and night, which is what I assume is happening.

He had James Silas' kid at CU and ran him off the team. Try harder.

so could it be that UAB was doing a lot of neg recruiting, family called up wake and said what can you tell us about bz's future at wake, we really couldn't say he's 100% going to be here the next 4+ years, and they balked/reached out saying they found out bad info on wake?

no school in the country can say their coach is going to be there the next four years 100%

WTF? For those of us late to the party, can someone summarize what's going on?

Back