• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ISIS attack in Bangladesh

All this American macho bravado bullshit, videos of Charlie Daniels telling those terrorists to watch out 'cause we rassle alligators here, you all fail to comprehend that this enemy wants a war with us.

You have an arbitrary scale of importance (ISIS vs toddlers with guns) with no realistic context or tether to reality. That's the problem. We should focus more attention and resources on problems that we can solve, on deaths that we can prevent. Our current political setup is far more heavily weighted towards stopping ISIS than it is preventing gun deaths, and that is inexcusable.

Not really. It is inexcusable that we aren't putting together a better plan to prevent gun deaths. It really doesn't matter what the ratio of that attention is to Radical Islam. We should be focusing on both. In my opinion Radical Islam is still the greater threat, but we can be good at both things. Making common sense gun reform doesn't preclude us from destroying Radical Islam.

If you are for registering all guns, then I was wrong about you, but not the NRA.

I think you should be required to carry a gun license and record your guns. If one goes missing you should be required to report it immediately. If you don't report your missing firearm and it is used to carry out a crime you should be named as an accessory to the crime and receive punishment. If you report it then you have done your duty and are absolved from any penalty.

You think ISIS getting a hold of a nuclear bomb is impossible. For a while, they were bringing in over a million dollars per day. You assume that the tin pot dictator of N. Korea would be unwilling to sell such a weapon to ISIS? Maybe so. Would they be unwilling to sell one to Iran? Would Russia sell one to Iran? Would Iran, who currently sponsors Hezbollah be above giving that bomb to ISIS?
You still got to get the bomb to the US past our security. Is it doable? Maybe. If not here, then certainly hitting Europe or Israel is a possibility.

Maybe none of that is possible today. That does not make it impossible a few years in the future.

Who would have thought that Al-Queda could bring down the Twin Towers by taking over airplanes.

ISIS is only one concern of the many this country has, but to minimize it and put it on par with guns in the hands of toddlers is foolish.

Do you understand the differences between Sunni and Shia Muslims? If you do, why would you posit that Iran would give a bomb to Isis?

I got some news for you, destroying radical Islam by bombing it will never, ever work. I point you towards 15 years of a war on terror, and it is -at least according to you - our number one problem. A bigger problem than American gun deaths due to easy access to guns and lax regulation.

What is your proposed method of "destroying radical Islam," and what is your evidence of its success?

Its not only not a good argument it is a TERRIBLE argument, which is exactly why I made it. Clearly gun control is a more important venture than preventing falls. In the same way managing a worldwide network of terrorists that are intent on the absolute destruction of your way of life is more important than a toddler that grabs his dad's gun because the idiot dad wasn't responsible. It doesn't mean that the dead toddler isn't important....he/she is extremely valuable to our society, but it pales in comparison to what multiple suicide bombers would mean if they were more successful in our country. I made that argument for the exact purpose of it being a terrible argument to prove that just because you can cite a stat, doesn't mean it is relevant to the discussion. So I agree with you.

I think he gets how you were using the argument, but that it didn't work because we actually do the thing you said....never mind.

All this American macho bravado bullshit, videos of Charlie Daniels telling those terrorists to watch out 'cause we rassle alligators here, you all fail to comprehend that this enemy wants a war with us.

+1

We have played right into their hands. They have no Air Force, no Navy. They do not dominate much territory. They recruit fighters somewhat through radical ideology, but as much through giving work to mercenary fighters and disenfranchised males who want to blow shit up. Outrageous acts of terror piped into every living room in America on a weekly basis, tapping into America's core gut reaction to fight back and "carpet bomb" blah blah.

We should be coming up with a way to disentangle and disengage from the ME. We should be winning hearts and minds through humanitarian aid to the women and children and displaced in the region. We should be neutral actors as much as possible, and we should pressure Israel and the Likuds to ease apartheid on Palestinians and stop settlement expansion.

We should still use intelligence and special forces to raid terror cells and eliminate the most extreme actors the way we have done.

Back