• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

I don't think all young voters are the same. But to use your post as a starting point, you could probably put young voters into:
"I will not vote for Biden"
"I will hold my nose and vote for Biden"
"I will vote for Biden but I won't publicly support him"
"I will publicly support Biden but won't campaign for him"
"I'm ridin' for Biden!" (the smallest group by far)

All those groups could shift considerably toward Biden if Biden shifts enough on this issue. But he's starting to run out of time with less than 6 months until voting starts.

I agree that's his gamble. And that medieval state abortion laws and referendums becomes the key issue in the Fall.

But Biden needs to make an affirmative pro-Palestinian move and distance himself from Bibi to gain significant support.
I’m not young, and at this point I’m sitting out of a presidential election where my “best choice” is someone actively funding genocide.

I’m not young, and at this point I’m sitting out of a presidential election where my “best choice” is someone actively funding genocide.

Bruh you live in an important state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re a 40-something year old American. You’ve voted for funding genocide before. This country is a war machine.

You’re a 40-something year old American. You’ve voted for funding genocide before. This country is a war machine.
looks like the logical conclusion of liberal democratic politics (esp. in a two party system)

I mean you look up genocide in Wikipedia and the world has averaged 1 genocide per year for 50 years running. Our records not too bad on this if we’ve just got one.

of those 50, how many would you plausibly say the US funded in a similar manner to this one?

of those 50, how many would you plausibly say the US funded in a similar manner to this one?

What are we funding? I seem to recall Kory posting a listing of what made up the aid and it seemed to be all defensive stuff

What are we funding? I seem to recall Kory posting a listing of what made up the aid and it seemed to be all defensive stuff

how many of the genocide-committing groups on the list do you think we were giving military aid to?

medieval state abortion laws

Was abortion illegal in the middle ages?"

Tricky question: short answer is no, it was condemned by legal and religious authorities. (I'm obviously reducing a very long and complex history here.)

but there are lots of surviving accounts in medical treatises of doctors recommending contraceptive treatments and recommending abortions in a variety of cases. The focus of these treatises was entirely on the health of the woman and these didn't take into account the spiritual problem of the unborn.

The practice itself was morally condemned, but medieval Christians took seriously the medical importance of women's health and the danger of bearing a child and I don't know of any contemporary texts that criticize the practice in these contexts.

The best I can come up with is our complicity in the Indonesian genocide. I know mass political killings technicality fall outside of the definition of genocide, but we were pretty deep in that one.

And I guess you could connect a line from the US being responsible for the creation of ISIS and their acts of genocide against the Yazidis and Turkmen, but this is getting kind of far from what you're getting at.

The point still stands that we haven't seen anything quite like this where we are financially and materially supplying an active genocide not just openly, but proudly.

We have sent Israel a shit ton of 200lb bombs that they have used to indiscriminately bomb the shit out of civilian infrastructure (and civilians) in Gaza in the name of pursuing Hamas militants. In the best of circumstances (e.g. if there were actually as many Hamas militants in bombed locations as Israel claims) those actions would still be violations of international law and are morally abhorrent no matter what Hamas did on October 7th.

Seems to me that withholding your vote or voting third party will have no effect on this situation. Dems and Pubs are simply completely entrenched in supporting Israel. There is no good outcome for Palestinians regardless of who is in the Whitehouse. The students have it right. The only way to affect this is via money and investments, or divestment. That’s at least one reason why the response to student protests have been so draconian, the powers that be want to keep making blood money. So maybe start calling your 401k fund managers and college account fund managers and make some trades.

Me when I don’t vote Biden and Trump funds Israel even harder while also pissing on our democracy and the rights of marginalized groups:

"funds Israel even harder"

how we're already giving her all we've got captain!

Back