• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

I think the decades of funding them puts them in position to do what they are doing right now for what has been so far less than a year.

I think the decades of funding them puts them in position to do what they are doing right now for what has been so far less than a year.
I mean your post implied that if the US stopped supporting Israel then Israel would continue on the same path that they are currently on. I think that's a hell of an assumption and I would argue that it's incorrect.

I guess I didn't appreciate how much Israel needs US support until this. I had always heard about their military being the best trained in the world and innovative, effective, etc. But apparently they don't know how to manufacture their own weapons. Like, I of course knew we sold them arms and whatnot but seems like every day they're asking for more.

You wanna wipe a people off the face of the planet for <checks notes> land, you are gonna need moar weapons.

Feels like the goalpost would definitely move if the US wasn’t provide any material support, the next line would be why isn’t the US strongly disavowing, the next line would be why isn’t the US applying sanctions, and then the next line would be why isn’t the US physically stopping them.
oh wow, sounds great actually

Feels like the goalpost would definitely move if the US wasn’t provide any material support, the next line would be why isn’t the US strongly disavowing, the next line would be why isn’t the US applying sanctions, and then the next line would be why isn’t the US physically stopping them.
Would absolutely love to have the opportunity to see if you're right.

count me in

And honestly, I think I would be satisfied with:

Stop providing material support
Disavowing
Stop vetoing UN resolutions

I think I would be fine with the first two being conditional on a cease fire. Obviously you tell only Israel but if they refuse to negotiate in good faith then they lose more leverage by losing the support they currently have.

I’m going more a nihilist route of the world is a fucked up place so why try. Moral outrage for one thing but not another, algorithms feeding it, global issues like climate change that will kill us all not just a select population.

It’s great that people have passion about something but it either does nothing or shaves so little off an event was it worth it. If college protests when same age Americans were dying in Vietnam took 10 years to accomplish then good luck with todays protests.

well, Dickinson College's student protest worked at getting the commencement speaker (and honorary degree recipient, for some reason) Michael Smerconish CANCELED

so, yeah, Levant Problem: solved

well, Dickinson College's student protest worked at getting the commencement speaker (and honorary degree recipient, for some reason) Michael Smerconish CANCELED

so, yeah, Levant Problem: solved

He should sue for his honorary degree.

Emory’s commencement next week moved off campus to an arena in the north burbs to keep protestors out. Means no worries about bad traffic that day. Another win!

I don’t think it’s a talking point why care about one thing but not another should be asked. What makes one event necessary to protest and get fired up about but not another? If you have a truly good explanation I think it helps bring people to your cause and understand and if you just hand wave and dismiss it then it all seems very performative.

Moral outrage for one thing but not another, algorithms feeding it,
So you just simply haven’t been convinced by the hundred times it’s been explained on this thread why the current conflict in Gaza is particularly relevant to Americans. Ok. Can you explain why “algorithms” would be responsible for the protest movement?‘

Emory’s commencement next week moved off campus to an arena in the north burbs to keep protestors out. Means no worries about bad traffic that day. Another win!

Parking lot is usually empty at your building anyway.

1715091835336.png

Back