• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

he mentions Benji three times in three minutes

p cool for the guy who has not done much to help this situation from what I can tell

Maybe I'm parsing things too much but I think Biden could have voiced his solidarity with the Israeli people without seeming like he was in lockstep with Netanyahu.

Very complicated, and it's been a long time since my Wake history classes, but I think there are a number of factors.

1. Religion and a sense of shared Judeo-Christian roots are going to tilt the sympathies of a largely Christian nation towards a Jewish state over an Islamic one. Christendom was at war with various Islamic regimes for centuries, and more recent attacks like 9/11 have stirred up fear and mistrust. It doesn't help when there are videos of Palestinians dancing in the streets after 9/11.

2. Historical Anti-Semitism and white guilt. Running somewhat contra to #1, there were centuries of anti-Semitism and persecution of Jews when Europe was much more Christian and religious-minded. It's extant even before the spread of the Christian Church, but obviously hits peaks like the Inquisition and Holocaust.

3. Trying-to-make-it-work-ism. The Ottoman Empire had been running on fumes for a long time before it was toppled in WWI. Like it or not, defeat and victory in war led to territorial changes up to and including that point in time, and the West hatched a plan for creating a Jewish state on former Ottoman territory. Much like Clawson with Griffis, the West has been reluctant to admit that their plan was a mistake and has continued propping it up.

4. The 1948 War. In 1948, Israel finally declared independence after functioning as a British protectorate for thirty years. Exactly one day later, the Arab League invaded. Rightly or wrongly, I believe this set the tone right from the start that Israel was the victim struggling for its right to exist and the surrounding Arab nations were the aggressors seeking to destroy it. I also think this, along with #2, has helped fuel Israel paranoia and make them so trigger-happy. This is not intended as a justification, but I do think it's helpful to try to understand why people act the way they do.

5. Ass-kicking. People like winners, and Israel has been tremendously successful in the Israeli-Arab conflicts over the last 75 years.

6. Democracy. Despite recent troubling developments, Israel is a Western-style democracy that shares many Western social values, including women's rights and LGBTQ rights. Palestine does... uh... not.

7. Shared alliances. Israel is aligned with traditional US allies in Europe, Canada, Japan, and South Korea. Palestine is closer to traditional antagonists, particularly Iran.

8. Economic ties. As best I can tell, US imports from Israel last year were $50 billion, vs. only $11 billion with Palestine. It appears other countries have similar ties and some free-trade agreements, which provide an economic incentive to side with Israel.

I'm no expert, so I'm sure there's a lot more to it, and different people and nations have different reasons. I doubt whether secular Europe and Japan are terribly motivated by religion or anti-semitic guilt, for instance. Just my $0.02.
Great post.

Jesus Christ, can we not talk about “exterminating” people on the boards? Is that too much to ask? Fuck.
You're reasoning is why rats exist at the numbers they do and why innocent people die instead of the rats. Grow up, it's a non-sports thread on a public forum. Nobody makes you read.

You're reasoning is why rats exist at the numbers they do and why innocent people die instead of the rats. Grow up, it's a non-sports thread on a public forum. Nobody makes you read.
Go see a therapist, multiple even.

what are you even talking about

“the rats have to be exterminated” is where genocide starts

Disgusting post. Congrats, diverdeac.
If you are terminating the true "rats" or "terrorists" then you are saving the innocent people that have been drug into the streets and kidnapped, raped, and murdered. And that applies to both opposing forces in a conflict, not just the ones we deem "terrorists"

Now i’m curious how many fucking fascists we have lurking on here

But Israel isn’t killing just terrorists nor is Hamas. They’re firing missiles into populated areas. 50% of the Gaza population are under 20. This is just collective punishment firing off into Gaza for Israel for a group of folks who can’t leave the area

In case anyone was wondering what other propaganda has already been disproven

It does seem pretty crazy for Biden to support Netanyahu so earnestly while constantly attacking Trump for being a fascist.

Obviously there are complex circumstances at play, but on the surface it's tough to mesh together those two things.

Thinking about it further, Biden could have communicated a similar message and sonned Netanyahu on the security failure. He could have called out Netanyahu for falling to protect the Israeli people and endangering Israelis and Palestinians as a result. He could have approached it as a boss trying to rectify an underling’s mistakes and made Bibi look small in the international area. Yet he still could have pledged resources to root out Hamas and bring some stability to the region while minimizing further causalities.

Thinking about it further, Biden could have communicated a similar message and sonned Netanyahu on the security failure. He could have called out Netanyahu for falling to protect the Israeli people and endangering Israelis and Palestinians as a result. He could have approached it as a boss trying to rectify an underling’s mistakes and made Bibi look small in the international area. Yet he still could have pledged resources to root out Hamas and bring some stability to the region while minimizing further causalities.
Well this would have given domestic folks room to blame him for not being 100% pro Israel which we simply cannot have !

Could have!

Hard to see where the Dem base is and how to thread the needle

What few Dem leaders have been courageous to voice any kind of support for Palestine are facing threats and derision.

The rest of the squad, Bernie, may as well have had their press statements written by the Israeli press office

hasn't israel always been a problematic issue with bernie?

Mainly think it just has to do with him being Jewish and 80+ that he’s an ardent defender of the state and whatnot

Back