• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

"I’ve never seen such a disconnect between where voters and constituents are and where Congress is" Well, this is what happens when your party's leadership is a gerontocracy that is mentally from another age where both political parties automatically supported Israeli policy and any criticism of Israel was seen as political suicide. The notion that times (and their constituencies in some cases) have changed doesn't appear to have occurred to them.
Just follow the money.

CNN was let into the Hamas "armory" by the IDF that was under the bombed hospital. There were 5 guns, some women's clothing, and a rope. The tunnel they said led to a Hamas room that provided solar paneling for their headquarters was actual just an electrical wiring room that was no longer usable due to flooded rainwater. Hamas said it was used as a safe room for women and children, IDF claimed it was a Hamas headquarter/armory.

Babies are among the thousands inside Al Shifa as Israeli troops close in

The PR posturing around the babies in the hospital has gotten really gross.

On Sunday, the Israeli military said that it had “delivered 300 liters of fuel to the Shifa Hospital’s doorstep, yet the fuel remains untouched after Hamas threatened hospital staff.” But Dr. Nasser Bolbol, the head of Al-Shifa’s neonatal unit, said that the fuel was “half a kilometer” away from the hospital in a combat zone, and the Israeli military had not guaranteed the safety of those who would be sent to retrieve it.

We were interviewing a Palestinian farmer. Then the drone and soldiers appeared

It's harvest season, and while his plants are groaning with fruit, he says he hasn't been able to harvest a single olive. "We faced a little bit of problems before in the harvest season, but in this season it's terrible," he says.

He explains that soldiers with the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and West Bank settlers have blocked him from his land since the war started on Oct. 7, when Hamas fighters attacked Israel.

While the world has focused on Israel's response in Gaza, violence in the West Bank is also spiking. Attacks on Palestinians by the Israeli military and settlers are up, according to the UNOCHA, which estimates more than 170 Palestinians have been killed and more than 2,600 injured in the West Bank since the war began.

The IDF says it is conducting raids on militants. Abuhejleh says that when he tries to get to his olive trees, the war is the reason Israeli soldiers point to for stopping him. He is convinced they are using the war as an excuse to seize Palestinian land.

Our team pulls on helmets and flak jackets marked "PRESS" in big white letters before we begin to walk with Abuhejleh to the spot that he says looks onto his fields. We hear a buzzing sound, and when we look up, we spot a drone hovering about 60 feet above us. A camera flashes green and red – it's clear someone's watching. We're just not sure if it's Israeli military personnel or settlers.

when I fill up my car, I think about how many incubators worth of gas I'm getting

Good thing the Houthis can spend time and money shooting at Israel while their population is starving to death.

I can't help but recall the outrage from Americans during the war in Iraq and Afghanistan at soldier deaths, civilian casualties, destruction, etc..

I'd hope that those same people would look back in hindsight after what they are seeing in Gaza and realize they only know one thing, American prosperity and fortune.

I'd also hope that those same people would look at the situation in Ukraine, Israel and use that insight to better understand the things they don't. The fact that the US military has served as such a public voice of reason to the Israelis means that they took our 2000s outcry into consideration right?

Hamas is an intractable part of Palestine. Israel, like the US in Iraq/Afghanistan, played a role in creating the conflict situation we see today. As far as I'm concerned, the only way for Palestinian or Russian citizens to be free from oppression is to destroy the oppressors. Have we forgotten what it took to beat Japan and Germany? Or maybe we are just OK with subjugation as long as it doesn't rise to the level where we hear about it in the West?

War and conflict are abstractions and annoyances to Western liberals. It is why propaganda is so successful at targeting us. This is why we have people arguing about news that is likely second-hand half-truth agitprop.

In my mind it is this easy. Swap Palestine for the US, MAGA for Hamas, and Palestinians for Americans and see how the quickly the tune changes about murdering innocent MAGA civilians.

JERUSALEM — The presence of Israeli forces inside Gaza’s largest hospital stretched into its second day Thursday, amid the wait for more concrete evidence of extensive Hamas infrastructure at the facility that precipitated the raid.

Israel also said no further evidence of Hamas activities in the hospital was scheduled to be made public for now, following the release Wednesday of photographs and video showing small caches of rifles and laptops that the Israel Defense Forces identified as Hamas material. The military did not show evidence of tunnels or a command center it has said exists under the hospital.

“I can confirm now that the operation is still ongoing,” an Israel Defense Forces spokesman said Thursday. “All the publishable evidence was released.”

Ah well nevertheless

Back