• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Shared Intel with US Congressmen

ONW

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ith-lawmakers/

"Israel obtained sensitive information about the nuclear talks between Iran and the United States and turned it over to members of Congress, the Wall Street Journal is reporting. The insider details came from “confidential” briefings from U.S. officials as well as from “informants, diplomatic contacts in Europe and eavesdropping,” the paper said."

"It quoted a “senior U.S. official briefed on the matter,” saying that it is “one thing for the U.S. and Israel to spy on each other. It is another thing for Israel to steal U.S. secrets and play them back to U.S. legislators to undermine U.S. diplomacy.”"

Shit just got real. And if true, absolutely treasonous.

Of course it won't, but members of Congress undermining international treaty negotiation based on another country's intel gained by spying should at least register on the radar. They are one of our biggest allies...

It won't because well...politics. Good luck getting the people up at arms about email security to feel the same way about #teamconservative using foreign spy intel against the US.

John Stewart was making fun of the Pubs and Dems last week on this issue on the usual theme that members of Congress are faux outraged when it's done to the administration of their party and engage in the same thing when the administration is in different hands. Gave the example of Nancy Pelosi engaging in her own diplomacy with Assad when Bush was in office. I also remember Pelosi undermining our relations with Turkey by publicly raising the Armenian genocide of WWI times (I believe because she has a lot of Armenians in her district). But yeah, spying on us and sharing that information with the party not in charge probably takes it up a notch. Though I agree with ITC that not much will come of it in this country.

More than anything else, I gotta think this is really bad for Israel. Despite not always getting along well with certain administrations here or there, Israel has always attempted not to get involved in our partisan politics until recently. Now that they're openly siding with Pubs and thumbing their noses at the administration and Europe, I don't know that they can put the genie back in the bottle, and they're further isolating themselves. I'm not sure if Netanyahu & Co fully realize they're going far out on this limb or if they just don't care about the consequences. But either way, it isn't good.

Right. Support for Israel used to be bipartisan. Now Israel is picking sides and making it a partisan issue.

Right. Support for Israel used to be bipartisan. Now Israel is picking sides and making it a partisan issue.

Are they picking sides or being forced to play politics by a President who is clearly anti-Israel?

CLEARLY

what policy decisions thus far have been clearly anti-israel, again?

Are they picking sides or being forced to play politics by a President who is clearly anti-Israel?

Because he's Muslim?

I would think that if a deal was good for the middle east and our nation, the admin would be sharing this data already with members of congress to get them on board. Not necessarily in public, but at least privately. That does not appear to be happening.

Also telling is that when Netanyahu tells Israeli voters that he is against the two state solution and Obama freaks out. The Ayatollah says, "Death to America" and the admin brushes it off as "just something he says."

Lastly, other allies in the ME seem to not believe that this it going to reduce the possibility of a nuke in the hands of Iran and they are taking precautions. Saudi Arabia and Egypt are now looking into getting one.

Lots of moving parts here, but the "Israel and 'Pubs bad/Obama good" meme needs to be shelved.

Why would Obama share negotiations with Republicans who want to tank anything that he does?

332c699b11271b4c320d9c2cc71712c5.jpg

Why in the world would Obama share talks with the GOP and Congress after the GOP circumvented his position as the president to talk as their own party to Iran? That's crazy talk. There are plenty of areas where the Dems subscribe blindly to anti-GOP vitriol no matter the topic, this is not one of them. The GOP has made their bed by repeatedly admitting that they will back Israel no matter what. Blanket statements like that are never good policy nor is it financially intelligent for a party interested in reducing government spending

Why would Obama share negotiations with Republicans who want to tank anything that he does?

I almost didn't reply to this because of its idiocy. He would not have to share it with the pubs, but he could share it with the intelligence committee dems (who probably don't want to tank everything he does). And to you "tank everything he does, who exactly stood with him on his request for use of force against ISIS? linky:http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/politics/republicans-obama-isis/

Much like they are with the prez on the ISIS thing, they would be with him on a GOOD deal with IRAN. They, like Israel, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, France, et al are worried about a deal that lets Iran do what they want.

Just illustrates what I said about the simple minded reactions to this.

Also 367 members of the house signed a letter similar to that signed by the traitorous senators (many Dems signed it)..but I guess that is because they are just racists and anti obama.

Last edited:
Back