• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Shared Intel with US Congressmen

The GOP is absolutely not going to be with Obama on any negotiation with Iran period unless it's 100 percent what the GOP proposed. If it was 99 percent GOP idea they would still bitch about the one percent obama didn't follow. That's just the reality of it. The GOP will give nothing to Obama which would permit him to go on record as having "won" any type of negotiation, Bill, administrative ruling, etc. Thats just perfectly clear at this point seven years in. To believe otherwise I find to be wholly naive

The House letter was to Obama it was not addressed directly Iran. Surely you know this distinction though and just glossed over it.

Yes but the spirit of the letter was the same and there were lots of Dems signing it. My intent was not to conflate the two letters (the Senate letter to Iran was a debacle and poorly thought out). The house co sponsored letter says roughly the same thing, but in a much more constructive way. However, it does show a lack of communication between the congress and the admin on this issue that apparently concerns dems as well as pubs.

Thanks for claifying that. I disagree with your previous point, however.

So Hulka thinks the Middle East peace progress needs more Congress.

So Hulka thinks the Middle East peace progress needs more Congress.

Why do you have to be such an ass? No one could conclude that from my posts. No more so than they would say, "Ph thinks that Obama says fuck the world, I'm going to make a deal and I don't give a fuck what anybody says"

Sometimes it is better to just let things be. You don't have to save face on every post, do you?

I would think that if a deal was good for the middle east and our nation, the admin would be sharing this data already with members of congress to get them on board. Not necessarily in public, but at least privately. That does not appear to be happening.

What makes you think the administration had this data to share in the first place? They didn't even know that Boehner went behind them on Netanyahu's speech to the Congress. If anything the "informed Congressmen" and Israel weren't sharing that information with the administration.

Also telling is that when Netanyahu tells Israeli voters that he is against the two state solution and Obama freaks out. The Ayatollah says, "Death to America" and the admin brushes it off as "just something he says."

Except one is the PM of Israeli crushing any chance at even discussions in the ME to get re-elected (then backtracking on that promise post-election), and the other is the Ayatollah of Iran making a general statement they've made for decades to remain in power.

Lastly, other allies in the ME seem to not believe that this it going to reduce the possibility of a nuke in the hands of Iran and they are taking precautions. Saudi Arabia and Egypt are now looking into getting one.

I'm shocked that countries in the ME are exploring the possibility of developing nuclear weapons.

Yes but the spirit of the letter was the same and there were lots of Dems signing it. My intent was not to conflate the two letters (the Senate letter to Iran was a debacle and poorly thought out). The house co sponsored letter says roughly the same thing, but in a much more constructive way. However, it does show a lack of communication between the congress and the admin on this issue that apparently concerns dems as well as pubs.

Thanks for claifying that. I disagree with your previous point, however.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to be an ass with either post Im just really tired of people making excuses for what the GOP may be intending to do when we have a pretty clear record of what they've been intent on doing since 2010: obstruct any concept they don't consider their own idea.

"the House letter does not focus on the constitutional necessity of the upper chamber’s ratification of international treaty, as the Senate GOP’s letter did. Instead, the House version dwells on the fact that the Congress has had a significant role in constraining Iran’s path to a bomb in the past"

Sending a letter to the President with the above in mind does not "roughly say the same thing" as a letter written to the Ayatollah of Iran that any agreement reached will be worthless.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to be an ass with either post Im just really tired of people making excuses for what the GOP may be intending to do when we have a pretty clear record of what they've been intent on doing since 2010: obstruct any concept they don't consider their own idea.

Wasn't calling you an ass...that was Ph. I don't disagree that the pubs will look for any advantage politically, but when they think that O is doing the right thing, they back him a la the ISIS request of force. Edited to add that they also think they will get a political advantage here by portraying the dems as weak.

Last edited:
Wasn't calling you an ass...that was Ph. I don't disagree that the pubs will look for any advantage politically, but when they think that O is doing the right thing, they back him a la the ISIS request of force. Edited to add that they also think they will get a political advantage here by portraying the dems as weak.

Yeah I just reread my post and thought it came across as relatively aggressive.

Right thing = more war

Wrong thing = everything else

I think the senate letter would have been more persuasive if it hadn't had factual errors pointed out by Iran. Maybe just me though

I'm pretty sure the White House and the State Department have been briefing Congress or at least Congresscritters with the appropriate committee posts etc. on the Iran negotiations regularly and in some detail. I don't think it is correct at all to act like Congress has been kept in the dark on these negotiations.

I'm pretty sure the White House and the State Department have been briefing Congress or at least Congresscritters with the appropriate committee posts etc. on the Iran negotiations regularly and in some detail. I don't think it is correct at all to act like Congress has been kept in the dark on these negotiations.

That makes perfect sense. However, why would over 100 dem house members sing the house letter if it were so?

Wouldn't their leadership tell them that they were in the loop and to stand down?

That makes perfect sense. However, why would over 100 dem house members sing the house letter if it were so?

Wouldn't their leadership tell them that they were in the loop and to stand down?

Because politics and people in American politics would rather keep their jobs for 2 more years than to do the right thing?

Obviously they are Glee fans.

sulky-McConnell.jpg

Back