• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It is flat out a lack of talent

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
I don't know how good (bad) Buzz is with the X's and O's. For all I know he might be a damned genius. What I do know is the kids he has recruited to play here are not ACC caliber players. They might be fine young men...they might be full of character but they have no business playing in the best conference in America. If our goal going forward is to field a team of solid citizens independent of basketball talent we need to drop down to DII.

I don't know how good (bad) Buzz is with the X's and O's. For all I know he might be a damned genius. What I do know is the kids he has recruited to play here are not ACC caliber players. They might be fine young men...they might be full of character but they have no business playing in the best conference in America. If our goal going forward is to field a team of solid citizens independent of basketball talent we need to drop down to DII.

With a mediocre coach this team would be a middle of the road ACC team. With a great coach, this team would be pushing at the bottom of the Top 4. The talent is there, it's just being used horribly and is not being motivated.

We don't have enough outside shooting to move up that far. A new coach and some shooters is what we need.

Last edited:
We lack talent and coaching. Top 4? Maybe with Houdini as our coach.

We have a nice supporting cast (albeit light on shooting and size) but no star to support.

With a mediocre coach this team would be a middle of the road ACC team. With a great coach, this team would be pushing at the bottom of the Top 4. The talent is there, it's just being used horribly and is not being motivated.

I strongly disagree. We have two players that I would consider ACC caliber players. A few that might get some minutes on another team if they were weak at his position but only 2 that are at average.

We have a nice supporting cast (albeit light on shooting and size) but no star to support.

I would agree with this, but I also think that Travis could've become something close to a star if he had had decent coaching during his career, and Codi would be on his way to being a star.

How many of our starters would start for top 25 teams? Agree with the OP.

I agree that the lack of talent gets lost somewhat in all the Buzzout talk. The times we have been successful have been when we've had supreme talent (e.g. Rogers-> Sweet 16; Duncan/Childress-> 2 ACC titles, Elite 8; Howard-> ACC Reg Season 1st place; Paul-> #1 ranking) or have had a collection of near-supreme talent (Teague/JJ/Aminu-> #1 ranking). We have no one that even approaches that level of talent. Devin and CMM are probably 2 tiers below the Teague et al level, and the rest of the guys are just bench guys on a good team.

I agree that the lack of talent gets lost somewhat in all the Buzzout talk. The times we have been successful have been when we've had supreme talent (e.g. Rogers-> Sweet 16; Duncan/Childress-> 2 ACC titles, Elite 8; Howard-> ACC Reg Season 1st place; Paul-> #1 ranking) or have had a collection of near-supreme talent (Teague/JJ/Aminu-> #1 ranking). We have no one that even approaches that level of talent. Devin and CMM are probably 2 tiers below the Teague et al level, and the rest of the guys are just bench guys on a good team.

I don't think that is opposed to the BuzzOut philosophy. For me, it is another reason he must go. He is the one solely responsible for the talent level.

We know he sucks at X's and O's. Despite our lack of talent, we've still lost a lot to teams with less.

We are no where near our historical talent level yet this is the best it's been in the Bz era. We've probably had only 5 guys on the team dunk all year. We lack size, strength, shooting, quickness, athleticism. Our current roster doesn't have the makeup of a contender although there are some pieces.

Same thing could be said in Chapel Hill these days.

We can't shoot. We can't rebound. We can't make free throws consistently. We can't play defense. We turn the ball over too much. Did I miss anything?

I would agree with this, but I also think that Travis could've become something close to a star if he had had decent coaching during his career, and Codi would be on his way to being a star.
Devin is a sophomore...as is CMM. They still have a lot of time to become great players for Wake. They've come a long way already IMO.

Last edited:
Could have? Travis is a sophomore...as is CMM. They still have a lot of time to become great players for Wake. They've come a long way already IMO.

Yeah..you might want to double check that dude.

What? Travis is a sr.
This explains your opinions. You are clueless

Could have? Travis is a sophomore...as is CMM. They still have a lot of time to become great players for Wake. They've come a long way already IMO.

Are you confusing Travis for Devin?

I think Codi would've come even farther and would be much closer to being a star if he had a really good head coach.

LOL. What?

Unfortunately, Travis IS still a sophomore in many ways because of the complete lack of coaching he's received his entire career.

Back