• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It is flat out a lack of talent

It is a total lack of talent. Which leads back to being able to recruit or see talent. Skip could flat out recruit, and as Odom could find hidden talent. I would bet that buzz knows x and o better than either, but he can not bring the players to win in the ACC. He has to g o.

While I can only take your word for the bolded section, I can most assuredly say that you would lose that bet ... especially in the case of GDO.

I can't believe people are still hanging onto the X's and O's crap Wellman threw out there as his first attempt (i.e. lie) at explaining an awful hire.

I can't believe people are still hanging onto the X's and O's crap Wellman threw out there as his first attempt (i.e. lie) at explaining an awful hire.

Their ability to look at all the evidence and still believe that totally nonsensical story is quite astonishing.

Uh huh. What thee hayell is that?

Seriously, Buzz sucks at recruiting, motivating and in-game adjustments. We've got two ACC-level players who might see significant minutes or start. Coron is a serviceable rotation guy but a transfer. Cav and MJ could be decent role players but they have limitations. Moto is a good athlete but can barely hit the broadside of a barn from 6 feet. Puhhlease.

Agree with all of this, but Bill Moto is an ACC-caliber player with a better coach.

The X's and O's acumen is generally overvalued by a bunch of laymen who like to fashion themselves as basketball aficionados. Most of them think like 90% of professional coaches don't know X's and O's

Give me a coach that wins anyday.

Last edited:
"I think the world of Coach [Redacted]. He's an impeccable X's and O's coach. He has built the program at Colorado to the point where it is really going to take off next year. Also, his characters and values are second to none."
- Bill Hanzlik, Former Denver Nuggets Player (1982-90) & Head Coach (1997-98)

The X's and O's acumen is generally overvalued by a bunch of laymen who like to fashion themselves as basketball aficionados. Most of them think like 90% of professional coaches don't know X's and O's

Give me a coach that wins anyday.

This is a great post. Everybody is an expert....it is always humorous to go to college games with people and have them tell me that both sides are playing 'streetball'. This usually means that if the team doesn't pass the ball 5 times and wear short shorts that they don't know how to play basketball.

Give me a winner. He had his faults, but Dino won games. He collapsed in the post season most often, but so do a lot of young coaches. We replaced a winner with a loser, and we should not be surprised at the results. If we were going to fire a guy that had just made back to back NCAA tournaments, and had just advanced to the second round, then we needed to be sure we hired someone who could advance us farther.

I can't imagine how much Wellman's actions have cost our athletic department in gate revenue and giving. This was 5 years ago.

Last edited:
"I think the world of Coach [Redacted]. He's an impeccable X's and O's coach. He has built the program at Colorado to the point where it is really going to take off next year. Also, his characters and values are second to none."
- Bill Hanzlik, Former Denver Nuggets Player (1982-90) & Head Coach (1997-98)

Seems+Legit.+saw+this+in+the+depths+of+the+internet_96f6cc_4180994.jpg

Back