• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's happening before my very eyes...

I'm squarely in the fire [Redacted] camp so I'm legitimately curious. I heard of the "yanked scholarships" but when I read about the players (particularly the kid with the NBA dad) it just seemed like most didn't like the "my way or leave" vibe of super-nerd [Redacted].

Remember that younger players all want to make the league - if you hate a coach transferring is a much better option than fighting it. Upperclassmen and committed recruits are where it gets ugly.

So Bzzz couldn't have done this was Dino's supposedly undisciplined lot?

Well he was suspended for the honor code violation before the year started because he got suspended for the entire first semester. It wasn't some mid-season thing. I think it was over the summer.

Right but the scholarship stuff is prior to when his honor code violation occurred, if I remember correctly.

If you don't know the reasons Dino was fired by now, you've been talking to the wrong people or the administration has done a better job of keeping it underwraps than I thought. How could anyone fire a coach that just went to the NCAA tournament and won 20 games unless something catastrophic was going on. And it was, my daughter, and many of the kids who worked in the athletic department know all the stories. What about when the team was up all night and drunk prior to playing UNC on TV at 12 noon. Other players and coaches commented about alcohol on our players breath. When RW says " Jeff has done everything asked of him" most of that included cleaning up the image of the school. Buzz worked his rear in off finding places for some of the kids to go and continue basketball and try and get a degree just not at Wake Forest. Dino also had problems keeping his pants zipped but that's another issue unrelated to Buzz.

So none of this is true. No offense to your daughter, but there are plenty on this board who have been in the athletic department (and at least one who still is) and they have all debunked what you said. Dino went into the year end meeting with Wellman with no indication that he was being terminated. He was blindsided. A coach who was allowing the things you say happened would not be blindsided by getting fired.

So none of this is true. No offense to your daughter, but there are plenty on this board who have been in the athletic department (and at least one who still is) and they have all debunked what you said. Dino went into the year end meeting with Wellman with no indication that he was being terminated. He was blindsided. A coach who was allowing the things you say happened would not be blindsided by getting fired.

There's no doubt Dino did not know he was going to get fired. Who does until it comes especially after you've had a good season. Talk with Jeff Battle. Do you think he knows what has transpired. Talk with Rusty. I've had lunch with Rusty in the past. The coaches really like Jeff and think he's a great basketball man. Maybe short on the personality. He is not Skip Prosser. Also I spoke with Skip Brown last year and he predicted, the then freshmen would be a great team before they finish and he felt the program is going in the right direction. Listen, I know what happened and again, Buzz was told to clean up the mess. It's ok if you don't like him personally, but as RW says, "he has done everything we (RW and NH) have asked of him.

Nobody is absolving Ron Wellman of anything here. If [Redacted] has done what was asked of him, then some pretty stupid questions have been asked.

There's no doubt Dino did not know he was going to get fired. Who does until it comes especially after you've had a good season. Talk with Jeff Battle. Do you think he knows what has transpired. Talk with Rusty. I've had lunch with Rusty in the past. The coaches really like Jeff and think he's a great basketball man. Maybe short on the personality. He is not Skip Prosser. Also I spoke with Skip Brown last year and he predicted, the then freshmen would be a great team before they finish and he felt the program is going in the right direction. Listen, I know what happened and again, Buzz was told to clean up the mess. It's ok if you don't like him personally, but as RW says, "he has done everything we (RW and NH) have asked of him.

If it was common knowledge that the opposing team and officials smelled alcohol on my player's breath during a game? Uh, yeah, I would be surprised if I retained my job that week.

This post might set the board record for most name-dropping in a single post.

I'd like the last sentence to be true though - tells me "mission accomplished" and we can go ahead and move on to a coach who can actually get to the postseason and win.

The assistants better say polite things about him because they are out of work if he is let go. We have set our sights so low, I can hardly believe it.

I guess all of those assistants were completely absolved of any responsibility of team control. Dino was just letting them run amok and getting drunk the night before a game when they were all apparently in a team hotel under curfew and there was nothing the assistants could do about it.

Yeah, right.

Last edited:
The character assassination continued on by the old white guys is great.

I feel bad for the reasonable old white guys.

I don't think we're going to make the NCAA Tourney, but I'll say I'm reasonably pleased with how the season is setting us up for the future. The players should be gaining confidence and are getting some good wins under their belt. After the season, Bz will take a WNBA job and the new coach will be set up pretty nice for the next 2 years, assuming Ronald resists the urge to hire another retard.

I don't think we're going to make the NCAA Tourney, but I'll say I'm reasonably pleased with how the season is setting us up for the future. The players should be gaining confidence and are getting some good wins under their belt. After the season, Bz will take a WNBA job and the new coach will be set up pretty nice for the next 2 years, assuming Ronald resists the urge to hire another retard.

Sans the last sentence this is pretty spot on (well really just the WNBA reference).

All my optimism is based on my assumption that Bz is not coming back. I just don't see that happening.

If you don't know the reasons Dino was fired by now, you've been talking to the wrong people or the administration has done a better job of keeping it underwraps than I thought. How could anyone fire a coach that just went to the NCAA tournament and won 20 games unless something catastrophic was going on. And it was, my daughter, and many of the kids who worked in the athletic department know all the stories. What about when the team was up all night and drunk prior to playing UNC on TV at 12 noon. Other players and coaches commented about alcohol on our players breath. When RW says " Jeff has done everything asked of him" most of that included cleaning up the image of the school. Buzz worked his rear in off finding places for some of the kids to go and continue basketball and try and get a degree just not at Wake Forest. Dino also had problems keeping his pants zipped but that's another issue unrelated to Buzz.

I heard your daughter helped Melvin steal those iPads.

Repeating unsubstantiated rumors is fun, isn't it?

I partially agree, but where is our outside shooting going to come from next year?

I heard she shacked up with Ty while Melvin recorded it on the stolen iPads.

That was the real scandal.

Look what Fran has done at Iowa during the same period and we are praying for an NIT bid.

This team is slowing gaining confidence and learning how to play in close games. Plus we have a few players who want the ball down the stretch in close games and want to go to the line in a close game. That is cool.

Wellman hasn't asked enough. That's why he needs to go.

Back