• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James "it is about time" Johnson!!!

The call on which he fouled out was ACC officiating bullshit on an all-time HOF-level.

Who's to say they wouldn't get injured in their final 2 years and not to mention the disaster that has become our program? Would Dino have been canned? Would these two have had to endure a season of bzz? A lot of what ifs. They both got paid and both are now starting for an NBA team. Hard to argue that they didn't make the right decision.
Blah blah blah.....the guy was either ready or not and he was CLEARLY not ready. Dino should have probably pointed that out to people and then his draft stock not been so mind numbingly high compared to his draft worthiness. He's pretty much been a first round bust.

It was always bizarre to me that every good player at Wake over that period of time was mentioned as "NBA ready" but good players on other teams were often left off lists. Think about that. Teague, Aminu, Johnson, hell even Ari Stewart was on some NBA mock draft boards after his freshman year. None were really that ready. Someone had a thread on here a week or so ago IIRC betting that Aminu would be out of the NBA within 5 years and they're probably right.

I wonder if this was part of the problem Wellman had with Dino.

Blah blah blah.....the guy was either ready or not and he was CLEARLY not ready. Dino should have probably pointed that out to people and then his draft stock not been so mind numbingly high compared to his draft worthiness. He's pretty much been a first round bust.

It was always bizarre to me that every good player at Wake over that period of time was mentioned as "NBA ready" but good players on other teams were often left off lists. Think about that. Teague, Aminu, Johnson, hell even Ari Stewart was on some NBA mock draft boards after his freshman year. None were really that ready. Someone had a thread on here a week or so ago IIRC betting that Aminu would be out of the NBA within 5 years and they're probably right.

Yeah um turns out that guy is an idiot and 99% of the posters on that thread disagreed with him.

If Aminu is out of the league in 5 years and it's not due to an injury it's because 2012 ended the world.

I'm sure its not many but even a non-career ending injury could significantly hurt a draft stock.

Maybe for borderline second round players, but doubtful for sure first rounders. Kenyon Martin and Kyrie Irving each had significant injuries and still ended up going 1st overall. Maybe a better comparison to JJ would have been Derek Anderson who had that nasty injury and still went relatively high in the first round if i remember correctly.

Why would you wanna stay in college where you have limited practice time and class responsibilities with coaches who don't always know what it takes to make it in the NBA when you could be on your own practicing whenever you wanted, eating breathing and living basketball on an NBA squad plus getting paid?

If you're going in the first round and don't have much chance to move up (Teague and Johnson's case) why in the world would you go pro? I thought everyone agreed anyway that Johnson should go because of his age, draft pick ceiling, and coming off a really good year.

If you cannot see that he made the right decision, then I do not know what to tell you. I could see you making this statement had he been out of the league or getting a ton of DNP-CD but that hasn't been the case. Maybe his rookie year in Chicago when he was stuck behind a solid John Salmons and a borderline all-star in Deng. Also any mock draft that had Ari Stewart as an NBA possibility is complete and utter crap.

The Aminu thread was completely ridiculous.

Why would you wanna stay in college where you have limited practice time and class responsibilities with coaches who don't always know what it takes to make it in the NBA when you could be on your own practicing whenever you wanted, eating breathing and living basketball on an NBA squad plus getting paid?

If you're going in the first round and don't have much chance to move up (Teague and Johnson's case) why in the world would you go pro? I thought everyone agreed anyway that Johnson should go because of his age, draft pick ceiling, and coming off a really good year.

BECAUSE HE CLEARLY WASN'T NBA READY AND I AM A SELFISH FAN WHO WANTS TO SEE EVERY GOOD PLAYER WHO COMES THROUGH MY SCHOOL TO PLAY ALL 4 YEARS.

Wait, so you are saying Dino should have told draft analysis and scouts from NBA teams that James Johnson wasn't ready and don't draft him in the first round? Do you want WF to ever get a recruit again? That may be the dumbest thing i've ever seen posted on this board. And that's saying a lot.

it's nice that this forum provides people like pourdeac a place to express opinions.

Good to see James finally breaking out, unlike some other people I absolutely loved him when he was here. When he figured out that he could dominate in the paint he was unstoppable for large portions of his sophomore year.

I loved James. He was a total goof in school and off the court, but when he played up to his potential (i.e. the Indiana game and a couple others), he was so much fun to watch. He has it in him to be great if in the right circumstances.

Can't blame them for taking the money. Blame the NBA for being willing to pay guys who aren't ready to play.

James was our best player by far in the last 10 games of his sophomore season. He definitely has the talent and athleticism to play in the NBA. His game is filthy.
The problem is he's an NBA tweener. Glad he's getting a shot now and I have faith he can do it. he's not even been looking to shoot much this year and when he finally does he makes 10 of 17 and goes for 23.
Hopeful he sticks as starter.

Yea. He's a textbook tweener. 6'8 forward who played PF in college and is trying to transition to SF in the League. He struggles in exactly the facets you might expect too; turnovers, defense, and inconsistency with his jumper.

or getting a ton of DNP-CD but that hasn't been the case.
Are you sure? Last year he was DNP-CD in ~50% of the games...which is why he was traded, and at the time of the trade that was 72% of the games. I'd call that a ton, wouldn't you?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4621/gamelog;_ylt=AtPASRb1BMDR3GlSQM4e0y.kvLYF?year=2010

He finished last season starting 25 games for Toronto which was promising. I thought he had finally turned the corner. But he started this season on the bench so he was demoted.....pushed out by that superstar Rasual Butler. He's started the last 2 games and only cracked double digits twice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4621/gamelog;_ylt=AoZamSEWBFoEsWYgOpsZ8pmkvLYF

People can call me an idiot all day long but it is what it is. His talent is WAY above the level he plays at in the NBA. He wasn't ready, and neither was Teague. If they get crappy second contracts then it will have hurt their $$ potential as well.

Yea. He's a textbook tweener. 6'8 forward who played PF in college and is trying to transition to SF in the League. He struggles in exactly the facets you might expect too; turnovers, defense, and inconsistency with his jumper.

JJ is a great defensive player. He was in college, but now he's even better since he's slimmed down.

His D is what has been getting him PT.

Dino was supposed to torpedo his own player?

That's one of the stupidest things I have ever read on here.

Back