• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James "it is about time" Johnson!!!

Didn't Dino tell DraftExpress to stop writing about our guys on their site?

Pourdeac,
Players aren't supposed to start in their rookie years. If you are arguing that he wasn't "ready to start" when he left I think we could all agree. Being ready for the NBA to a college player means being draftable. He was practically a lottery pick so I'd say he was ready. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but I doubt you'd find a single collegiate hoops player who would agree with what you are saying.
Yes, we'd expect James to start over Rasual Butler but he was an everyday NBA starter in 2008 and 2009 and knocks down 36% of his 3's for his career.

Wait, so you are saying Dino should have told draft analysis and scouts from NBA teams that James Johnson wasn't ready and don't draft him in the first round? Do you want WF to ever get a recruit again? That may be the dumbest thing i've ever seen posted on this board. And that's saying a lot.
So you think that being honest about a player's true readiness for the NBA is the dumbest thing you've ever seen on this board??? LOL....mint.

Do you think Bz would have thought JJ was ready for the NBA? I don't....and it would be for all of those intangibles...like consistency and maturity. This is the VERY issue that everyone has been harping on regarding Dino isn't it?

So you think that being honest about a player's true readiness for the NBA is the dumbest thing you've ever seen on this board??? LOL....mint.

Do you think Bz would have thought JJ was ready for the NBA? I don't....and it would be for all of those intangibles...like consistency and maturity. This is the VERY issue that everyone has been harping on regarding Dino isn't it?

So you think that Dino's dishonest reports of JJ's "consistency and maturity" are what got JJ drafted in the lottery? WTF are you talking about? James had a great game, and people wanted to celebrate it with a thread. How about you stop being a dick, and let your stupid point go? The guy was 23-24 years old, and his draft stock was never going to be higher, he picked the perfect time to go. No coach with any common sense at all is going to purposefully hurt his players NBA chances.

Last edited:
still a big JJ fan. hope he sticks in the league for a while. no doubt that he left at the right time. honestly, i don't remember anyone on the boards disagreeing when he left.

as to the "first round bust" comment, for players drafted after the lottery, it is really a crapshoot. i would imagine that if you looked up the players drafted between 15-20 and stacked them up, he'd be somewhere near the median.

Certainly want him to do well, but does one game really make a breakout?

James' age made leaving early more important. If he was a 19 year old soph that's one thing but IIRC he was a 22 yr old soph.

and I'll say it again.... he could be as good as Danny Granger.

JJ with 16 & 9 right now. Hope he is cementing that starting spot, and keeping Ed Davis off the court.

By the way, James ended with 18 points, 10 boards, 2 turnovers, and was 7-12 from the field and 4-4 at the line

I realize that Davis and JJ are different positions, but Toronto plays them pretty interchangeably so I'm all for anything that gets a Tarhole off the court, especially if it's a Wake player succeeding.

HOF posterizing of Danny Green. Every time I watch this clip I still get a chuckle out of the fact that no foul was called. And then of course James fouls out immediately at the other end of the court :squint:

Remember when we had two 6'9" NBA ready wings who threw alley-oops to each other? That was kinda nice.

Guys the reason he didn't play in Chicago was a guy named Deng. James in not a PF. Thus he was never in competition with Gibson.

Lol Ed davis.

Sat next to Ed Davis in an underground poker game this past summer. Folded AKs preflop to 2 guys who were going nuts. Both guys had J10 and Ed would have had the nut flush for a $3000+ pot. He was not pleased.

Made Ty Lawson my bitch that night, all I had to do was look him dead in the eye and tell him to fold and he would.

Both were nice guys, however, and wish them well.

I think we are now seeing Coach Casey realize that James can play SF instead of hybrid forward especially when Bargnani is on the court because he spreads the defense. A frontline of JJ, Amir Johnson and Bargnani is quite large and mobile and JJ's ability to post and crash boards is a tough matchup for some SFs as is Bargnani's unconventional game as a center.
If JJ can play well the next couple games he might be able to cement the starting role and I'm sure his confidence is growing as he's being more assertive offensively.
Could be fantasy gold.

Sat next to Ed Davis in an underground poker game this past summer. Folded AKs preflop to 2 guys who were going nuts. Both guys had J10 and Ed would have had the nut flush for a $3000+ pot. He was not pleased.

Made Ty Lawson my bitch that night, all I had to do was look him dead in the eye and tell him to fold and he would.

Both were nice guys, however, and wish them well.

Of course you wish them well, you want their dead money to keep playnig in your games.

Back