• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Brangus

Reaction score
Considering buying one. Anyone have one three years old or newer with opinions? Reliability claims have always dogged Jeep but I like the vehicle...

Never had one but I don't really like the ride. Also, no third row seating, so not so great if you have kids.

My gf was just in the market for a SUV around that price range and was scared off by the aforementioned reliability claims. Ultimately she settled on a Nissan Rogue and has been very happy with it. I too am interested to hear of people's personal experience with newer models though.

Never had one but I don't really like the ride. Also, no third row seating, so not so great if you have kids.

Just two kids. Wife has a three row vehicle and we use the third row twice a year max. The one GC I drove seemed to have an OK ride, but I have a 4 door Tacoma pickup right now that is very jittery so anything else feels smooth....

My gf was just in the market for a SUV around that price range and was scared off by the aforementioned reliability claims. Ultimately she settled on a Nissan Rogue and has been very happy with it. I too am interested to hear of people's personal experience with newer models though.

I'm sure TSY can weigh in, but aren't Chrysler cars way behind Ford and GM in terms of reliability?

Really like the Overland series, but they're pretty pricey. Apparently they use a lot of the same technology/materials as Range Rover.

Wife has a '13 that we bought used two years ago. Nothing but oil changes so far. My only complaints are the 3.7l lacks power below 3k RPM, and the transmission can be indecisive at low speeds. Would definitely recommend.

Anyone who buys a Jeep right now is nuts. Historic recalls and quality control issues. The GC killed Chekov for crissakes.

I have had two Jeep GC Overlands. I had problems with a head light on the 2011, but otherwise no big issues. The 2011 was not little kid friendly. My kids car seat would not fit anywhere but the middle seat. We are out of car seats for the kids, so its no longer an issue. I am on my second one (2016) and like it even more. The navigation and interface are fine, but no apple car play. It's a smoother ride than the 2011. They fixed the issue they had on the shift knob that killed Chekov with the 2016 models by going to a different gear shift. It's the only car I have bought twice.

Considering buying one. Anyone have one three years old or newer with opinions? Reliability claims have always dogged Jeep but I like the vehicle...

My cousin had two in the last ten years and was always having problems. He ended up buying a Honda or something when he went to buy his third. He had problems with the older models and not the more recent ones.

The late 00's and early 00's were riddled with problems, but a lot of that has been ironed out in recent years. I have a '16 Cherokee now, had a '14 Cherokee before that. The '16 is definitely a smoother ride as they ironed out some of the gearing in that 9 speed transmission of theirs. I've pretty much driven nothing but Jeeps since I was a teenager.

Anyone who buys a Jeep right now is nuts. Historic recalls and quality control issues. The GC killed Chekov for crissakes.

They fixed the problem that killed Chekov; the shifter always returned to a central position so it wasn't visually clear what gear you were in. As I recall he tried to bump the shifter into park but only made it into neutral, he didn't study the indicator lights, the shifter position is always the same on that year of manufacture so no visual cue...he gets out and goes behind his Jeep...Jeep rolls...

He's dead, Jim.

Gonna reply to myself. Jeep is awful. So is Dodge and Ford. Chrysler is a little better GMC and Chevy are 5 and 6 (of 32).

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ility-study-tech-struggles-continue/80843824/

JD Power reliability rankings aren't worth the paper they are written on because they don't separate actual reliability from how the infotainment system is evaluated. Basically, if an
80 year old technologically illiterate person takes part in a survey and can't figure out the touchscreen they say the vehicle isn't reliable. You'll see similar issues with Consumer Reports (which is generally awful where cars are concerned), although I think more recently they have started to separate this out. If you want worthwhile evaluations, look at car magazines (where the GC routinely does very well).

Aren't JD Power rankings pay to play, or am I thinking of something else?

i don't think so, though I think that at this point the awards are more important for self congratulation than winning new customers

Close call between buying a jeep and
SIMBLBurningMoney.gif

Back