• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest (Updated)

ChaosDeac

Reaction score
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye...-nebraska-job-staying-at-wake-forest?v=1&vc=1

----- Update 10:45 pm -----
Kenny Beck @kennybeckWXII
Just got off the phone w/former Wake Forest head football coach Jim Grobe, about this article cbssports.com/collegefootbal…Story at 11 on @WXII
-
Jim Grobe tells @WXII "I should have jumped to a bigger job" after Wake's dream season in 2006.
-
Grobe says he had major interest from Nebraska, Arkansas, Michigan, and three ACC schools but Wake "felt like home"
-
Jim Grobe adds the no. 1 reason he stayed put was his players. He had two more winning seasons after '06, but went 23-38 over final 5.
-
Grobe says "Wake has been in neutral since winning the Orange Bowl" while other ACC schools have been very aggressive w/facilities & budgets
-
Grove says Dave Clawson is a fantastic coach who can absolutely lead Wake back to its former glory, but says school needs to make investment
-
Wake Forest did just break ground on a new $21M indoor facility, although it is not supposed to be complete until late '15
-
Grobe says his comments in this article cbssports.com/collegefootbal… and to me tonight are not meant to be negative, just honest.
-
Grobe says after winning the Orange Bowl, Wake didn't accomplish what he had hoped.
-
Regarding new press box, Grobe says players/recruits know that's not for them. Believes same locker room, weight room, etc hurt recruiting.

Last edited:
Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest

What a bitter old man

Also Im pretty sure they need you to actually recruit at Nebraska as well. Grobe got shit canned because he stopped trying, which was obvious to anyone who attended home games the last couple seasons.

Last edited:
The more Grobe talks, the more he needs to stop talking.

"I honestly took great pride in Wake Forest. I had some really good friends there. I trusted some people there. I thought Wake was a little different than other schools. I really, at the time, felt we were going to get a bigger commitment in terms of facilities and support for the program that never really materialized. We loved all 13 years we were in Winston-Salem, but I’m not real happy with the way things ended."

I might be reading too much into it, but the use of the past tense here is telling. Almost seems that he's wanting to distance himself from the program now, despite him still being revered among most of the fanbase.

He is slowly ruining his respectable image from the fanbase are with each interview.

Impressed at the candor of Grobe. Good article. I love Grobe, but makes it sounds like he was too nice of a guy to take the program by the scruff of its neck and do anything to change the direction.

Weird to trash an employer that paid you SO MUCH BANK.

Translate that money into per-win and he's got to be waaay up there.

And Jim, as many others have learned, should just take the high road and say nothing. You really come off as an ass when it's all said and done. Did Dino ever say anything like this when he "left?" Caldwell damn sure didn't.

Blow me !

The problem was pathetic and Unimaginative play calling and no balls. Those things don't have anything to do with facilities. Our talent last year was good enough to have won at least four or five more games. Coaching was the problem. Grobe lost his nerve and his fire. Stop blaming everyone else. On the facilities we have the new conditioning center coming.

Last edited:
Got WF to the Orange Bowl. It'll never happen again. Grobe is a LEGEND!

Evidently there was a lot going on we were never aware of. I'm sure much of what Grobe says is true, I'm also extremely surprised he's airing it as publicly as he has. The Skinner part makes no sense, we still ran some of the misdirection stuff with Riley, but we took advantage of Riley's accurate arm. I'm glad to hear Clawson say that Grobe has been helpful to him, but Grobe needs to shut up about all that stuff, concentrate on his analyst job this year and go coach somewhere else if he gets the chance. I still think the world of Jim Grobe, but he's better than sounding like a whiny disgruntled former employee like he's coming across.

I wonder how long Nebraska fans would have tolerated Grobe's love of Lobo's #117 ranked offense?

Looks like you posted this while I was writing a post about it...will transfer my commentary here:

Seriously Grobe....just shut up.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ot-taking-nebraska-job-staying-at-wake-forest

Grobe also symbolizes the cautionary tale of what can happen to a coach who doesn't jump when his resume reaches its peak. Nebraska pursued Grobe in 2007 before hiring Bo Pelini. So did Arkansas in 2007, prior to landing Bobby Petrino. Grobe was mentioned in the 2008 Clemson search before Dabo Swinney got the job permanently.

Instead, Grobe cherished stability and in 2007 signed a 10-year contract with Wake Forest that paid him $2.3 million in 2013 (sixth-highest in the ACC and up from $988,000 in 2006, according to USA Today Sports). He won't coach the final three years of the deal and can't help but play the what-if game about his career.

Seriously, how much "better" of a career would Grobe have had if he had jumped? He made a shit ton of money and was allowed to fail for years at Wake. He would have been out on his ass at Nebraska with Lobo's offense.

"I hate to say that Riley Skinner hurt us, because he won more games than any quarterback in Wake Forest history, but we ended up in a pro-style offense that didn't really fit us expect for Skinner," Grobe said. "We were throwing the ball every snap. We lost all that misdirection stuff. We just got stuck."

WE didn't get stuck. YOU got stuck on Lobo, and it cost you your chance at more success and your job.

"The expectations got too high without a push for better facilities and better support," Grobe said. "When your expectations go up but the things you're doing to win don't, that's when there's a problem."

I'm tired of reading this. We built Deacon tower, we completed renovated the entire stadium, we improved the practice facility, we got the jumbo screen, and the indoor practice area was in planning stages. It very likely would have been funded and built by now if not for the shitty losing seasons. The "support" doesn't flow in when you keep awful employees on board and underachieve on the field.

The more I hear Grobe talk, the more I'm convinced he remains completely blind to what actually caused him to fail. Attempting to "blame" it on Riley is silly. Blame it on the guy who couldn't design a decent offense for anyone but Riley.

Last edited:
Coach Grobe- let me give you some unsolicited advice. Stop talking to the media about Wake Forest. Period.

Grobe would've been run out of Nebraska within 3 years. A program with a legion of hardcore fans wouldn't have put up with Lobo like we did.

I suppose maybe he'd still be coaching as he might've had an easier time finding another gig in that situation. But dude needs to can it

Lobotzke-_Steed_HS_2014.jpg

I regret that Jim Grobe felt comfortable enough at Wake Forest to rest on his laurels.

Back