• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest (Updated)

I'm peeing myself. You guys are a trip. Nobody on this planet gives a shit. But you guys getting your panties in a wad about an old, retired coach talking about zigging when he should have zagged is really quite entertaining.

It's discussion worthy because we all wish he'd have zagged as well.

It's discussion worthy because we all wish he'd have zagged as well.

That's fair. And while it was stupid on Grobe's part to grant an interview it really isn't a black eye on WF football. We're moving on. That's my point.

No opinions on message boards! The world doesn't care what you think!

Jim Grobe talking in the media about Wake Forest and his time here as a coach is a WFU "problem." Anything he says is worth being discussed on the board.

Anything that resembles a shot at Wake Forest is going to draw sharp criticism given the way his tenure ended here and what was apparently an unwillingness on his part to make some necessary changes.

If anyone needs to "get over" anything, you probably need to get over seeing Grobe criticized on the board.

CBS Sports, ESPN and Yahoo Sports seemed to care. I guess Grobe trashing Wake being reported by three of the biggest sports websites is not news.

I don't believe that. Well, I believe players who were not getting time in games believed that but it smells of pure bullshit.
You speak as if there's some big magical talent gap between the starters and backups. There's nothing scientific about playing time, a lot of it is simply coaches preference. Some of the best programs in the nation have multiple walk-ons in their depth charts. We all heard the terms "knothead" and "doghouse" enough during Grobe's tenure to know that he could hold a grudge for a long time.

We discussed this whole thing a few months ago.

Seems Jim Grobe wasn't at all effected by the most severe recession to hit this country in 70 years. That started in the Fall of 2008. Wake's endowment plummeted - as did all endowments. EVERYONE and EVERYTHING was effected.

As it was a few months ago it is again now with Grobe's unfounded sour grapes....he is just making an arse out of himself.

Good points HONDO -- though I will say the economic downturn didn't generally slow down the arms race in college football.

The downturn plus our performance downturn -- and how unexciting our style of play generally was -- all were factors, though

Jimbo is shooting himself in the foot, which is probably appropo. He's basically only a valuable coach if the general perception and facts show that he can do much with very little. So him bitching and moaning about facilities years after the fact is going to make any AD in any mid major conference have strong misgivings about hiring him. And that is his ceiling I think for his next job. Mid Major. Welcome to retirement Jim! Polish up those broadcasting skills.

BTW - I predict Mr. Grobe, whom I admire, is the worst color commentator in the history of color commentators.

PbP guy: Jim, what do you think we got in store for us today?
Grobe: This is going to be a really good game between two really good teams
PbP guy: What do you think the most important matchup is?
Grobe: Field position. Who ever commits the fewest mistakes is likely to win the ballgame.
PbP guy: But that's not what I asked.
Grobe: I really like number 12 on the white team. He's a really good player. I tell you if I was coaching against him, I'd be really worried about number 12. In white. He's just a really good player.

Jimbo is shooting himself in the foot, which is probably appropo. He's basically only a valuable coach if the general perception and facts show that he can do much with very little. So him bitching and moaning about facilities years after the fact is going to make any AD in any mid major conference have strong misgivings about hiring him. And that is his ceiling I think for his next job. Mid Major. Welcome to retirement Jim! Polish up those broadcasting skills.

BTW - I predict Mr. Grobe, whom I admire, is the worst color commentator in the history of color commentators.

PbP guy: Jim, what do you think we got in store for us today?
Grobe: This is going to be a really good game between two really good teams
PbP guy: What do you think the most important matchup is?
Grobe: Field position. Who ever commits the fewest mistakes is likely to win the ballgame.
PbP guy: But that's not what I asked.
Grobe: I really like number 12 on the white team. He's a really good player. I tell you if I was coaching against him, I'd be really worried about number 12. In white. He's just a really good player.

No way he's as bad as John Bunting or Bob Davies.

That was actually a good Jaybone post. Excellent point about how complaining about having less goes against his perceived strength.

Back