• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest (Updated)

Regarding new press box, Grobe says players/recruits know that's not for them. Believes same locker room, weight room, etc hurt recruiting.

And then goes on to say he shouldn't have tried to recruit better players...

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com...licited-testimonial-for-embattled-ad-wellman/

A planned aerial protest by a rogue group of disgruntled Wake Forest fans upset with athletic director Ron Welllman never got off the ground Saturday because the pilot scheduled to fly a “Fire Wellman” banner over BB&T Field mysteriously realized he had already booked another assignment.

The 11th-hour cancellation raised the suspicion of conspiracy theorists, who flooded the Deacons’ internet message boards with speculation of athletic department intervention. It’s a narrative that was fueled even further in the moments following Wake’s 28-13 football victory against N.C. State when coach Jim Grobe began his postgame press conference with an unsolicited testimonial of his boss.

“First of all, I want to get started. I want to thank Ron Wellman,” Grobe said. “I want to thank my boss. I don’t think anybody in the country has a better athletic director than Wake Forest. He was at nearly every practice this week and he didn’t suggest one play.

“It was really good. Very supportive, you would have never known by the way he was with me, with our coaches, with our team, that we just had such an embarrassing loss at Clemson.”

So glad we have a coaching staff now that actually thinks it's in the big time and is acting accordingly.

So glad we have a coaching staff now that actually thinks it's in the big time and is acting accordingly.

So you are pumped that our coaches could be delusional, or you truly believe Wake is or can be in the big time...however that may be defined?

Josh Harris shared this article on Facebook FWIW. Jimmy Newman commented, "I know we sure as hell felt the same way!" in regards to Grobe wishing he had taken the Nebraska job.

Ouch.

The sad thing about this spiral that Grobe apparently is in, is that he is starting to build ill will in a fan base that largely has great respect and love for him. Even those of us who thought his time had passed (which it clearly had) still loved the guy, respected him, and were immensely thankful for him being our coach for a decade.

But when you start going public with sour grapes against a Strawman it doesn't sit well. (Two metaphors in one sentence!)

Who exactly is he mad at? Wellman is his boss. If he is mad that facilities or support wasn't provided wouldn't that fall in his boss? It sounds like he is lashing out at fans but in reality if anyone failed him it was Wellman.

The fans stood by and were extraordinarily patient while all the positive momentum created by the orange bowl was pissed away. We won the ACC 7 years ago. Every year since the orange bowl we have performed worse than we should have.

It truly is no wonder we started to lose all the close games. We had a coach that is an explainer. [Redacted] was the same way. When you are explaining you are losing. Nobody explains how they won. Instead of accountability Grobe is explaining his side of the story like you would expect a freshman in college to do when they miss study hall.

"But coach you don't understand. The expectations are too high. I am tired from practice. My student advisor didn't remind me about the study hall. Etc.....

Truth is- he failed Wellman who gave him everything more than Wellman failed him; he failed the fans, he quit on us, his players and his program. Quit everything but the bullshit and self delusion.

Truth is- he failed Wellman who gave him everything more than Wellman failed him; he failed the fans, he quit on us, his players and his program. Quit everything but the bullshit and self delusion.

After the 2006 season, Ron Wellman built Deacon Tower. What did Jim Grobe build (other than a comfortable living for his staff)?

Grobe should keep his dirty laundry behind closed doors. My family has a beach property and one of the neighbors is a long retired Wake asset. He said basically the same things.Wake went cheap ,pinched pennies etc... he said that it was especially true during his era with recruiting budget/asset salary/and training facilities. I respect him because his boss never went so public. Grobe needs to show a little more class.

Josh Harris shared this article on Facebook FWIW. Jimmy Newman commented, "I know we sure as hell felt the same way!" in regards to Grobe wishing he had taken the Nebraska job.

Ouch.

I don't know what happened but in the beginning of Grobe's tenure his players absolutely loved him.

The sad thing about this spiral that Grobe apparently is in, is that he is starting to build ill will in a fan base that largely has great respect and love for him. Even those of us who thought his time had passed (which it clearly had) still loved the guy, respected him, and were immensely thankful for him being our coach for a decade.

But when you start going public with sour grapes against a Strawman it doesn't sit well. (Two metaphors in one sentence!)

Who exactly is he mad at? Wellman is his boss. If he is mad that facilities or support wasn't provided wouldn't that fall in his boss? It sounds like he is lashing out at fans but in reality if anyone failed him it was Wellman.

The fans stood by and were extraordinarily patient while all the positive momentum created by the orange bowl was pissed away. We won the ACC 7 years ago. Every year since the orange bowl we have performed worse than we should have.

It truly is no wonder we started to lose all the close games. We had a coach that is an explainer. [Redacted] was the same way. When you are explaining you are losing. Nobody explains how they won. Instead of accountability Grobe is explaining his side of the story like you would expect a freshman in college to do when they miss study hall.

"But coach you don't understand. The expectations are too high. I am tired from practice. My student advisor didn't remind me about the study hall. Etc.....

Agreed. His comments are particularly disappointing to those of us fans who continued to support him, while his program steadily declined. There are a lot of obvious reasons why his program declined, almost none of which substantively relate to facilities.

Grobe needs to just shut his trap and quit talking to the media. He is the media now and probably will be for the foreseeable future with no coaching jobs coming his way.

It is so disappointing to read these comments from Grobe. He should be apologizing to WF for permitting the program to plummet under his watch. He should be humble and thankful for the exorbitant salary he drew while failing to produce on the field. Instead he blames Wake for his own failures.

He should be a coaching legend at Wake simply because of 2006. It was truly magical. However he may destroy the massive amount of goodwill that WF has for him by this silly, juvenile blame shifting. Sad.

I wonder if deep down he has any frustration with Lobo

It can't be a coincidence that Lobo was the one major assistant that was never poached and when he finally was gone from Wake he couldn't find a job anymore else for months and ended up taking like a 75% pay cut

I wonder if deep down he has any frustration with Lobo

It can't be a coincidence that Lobo was the one major assistant that was never poached and when he finally was gone from Wake he couldn't find a job anymore else for months and ended up taking like a 75% pay cut

Grobe's loyalty to Lobo was impressive, when you realize how much it cost him. I have heard just about enough of the "But I was failed by Wake..." bit. DOOK(!) ascended with a rubber track around their unimproved high school stadium, whilst Grobe/Lobo napped in the shadows of Deacon Tower. You know how wrong Grobe is on Wellman failing him? THIS BOARD has sided with Wellman(!) in your kerfluffle.

Go home Grobe. You're drunk.

Grobe's loyalty to Lobo was impressive, when you realize how much it cost him. I have heard just about enough of the "But I was failed by Wake..." bit. DOOK(!) ascended with a rubber track around their unimproved high school stadium, whilst Grobe/Lobo napped in the shadows of Deacon Tower. You know how wrong Grobe is on Wellman failing him? THIS BOARD has sided with Wellman(!) in your kerfluffle.

Go home Grobe. You're drunk.

I think Duke maybe realized that improving the facilities the players actually use might be more
important than towers and video boards in the grand scheme of things

I think Duke maybe realized that improving the facilities the players actually use might be more
important than towers and video boards in the grand scheme of things

The more I think about it, Grobe is on to something: Dook didn't have Riley Skinner to screw up their coaching staff's brilliant misdirection offense. I was so tired of Riley Skinner holding our offense back. Thanks for nothing, Riley.

Back