• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest (Updated)

It's hard for me to blame Dino for JT's DUI when Dino was never the coach at WF when JT was a student.

Rinse, repeat. [Redacted] re-recruited him so Dino's recruitment and offer to JT is meaningless.

[Redacted] being a pussy and not dumping who we should have dumped doesn't wash Dino's hands of the mess that occurred while he was coaching and recruiting. Once again, sounds like a UNC apologist argument.

Any unbiased source attributes players recruited by a previous coach to that coach, even if the fault is shared.

If you are the head coach at Wake, get offered the head coaching job at Nebraska, and turn it down...you're an idiot or a pussy.

Grobe (and Lobo) fell in love with Nikita Whitlock, switched to the 3-4, stopped recruiting big DL because it was "hard" to find DL who could get admitted, then stay enrolled academically, then he also could not land a decent DE, so we started converting everyone from LB to DE. A lot of them got injured iirc.

- terrible DT recruiting
- poor DE recruiting
- poor OL recruiting
- QB recruiting - actually very good; but in College FB, you have to have an OLine

He whiffed on RB Jela Duncan, the WR at UNC, DT Underwood at UNC and a few more key guys around 2010-2011 we "coulda, shoulda landed." The 2 star recruits did not pan out (stars, like size, can matter).

After all that, he was what, 1 chipshot FG from the ACCCG in 2011? That game haunts his legacy. That FG kicker is our Bartman.

A great run by Grobe, but he needs to go back to the West or Midwest and get away.

The Skinner stuff is ridiculous. Instead, just say, "Lobo could not recruit ANY decent OL to fit ANY scheme, after 2006." That and the 3-4 Whitlock love fest means --- we lost a lot. Whitlock was obviously great. WF football was not.

Yep transitioning to a 3-4 system with a 250 lb. nose guard doomed our defense to mediocrity. Nikita was great, however emphasizing his strengths hurt the rest of the team.

And the Skinner stuff is just ridiculous.

Without Skinner, Grobe would have been out after about 8 years. No Orange Bowl, no offer from Neb or Ark. He might have gotten hired at The Citadel. Now he trashes the kid who got him to the Orange Bowl. Pitiful! No mention that he had an idiot for an Offensive Co-coordinator who could not coach or recruit the OL and came up with the idea to implement an option offense with a drop back QB who could not make the necessary reads. Seems to me he is pointing fingers at the wrong people. Needs to look in the mirror in the club house locker room where he spends his time.

Grobe sounds bitter

Really surprised that this is how things would play out between Grobe and WF

After all that, he was what, 1 chipshot FG from the ACCCG in 2011? That game haunts his legacy. That FG kicker is our Bartman.

Definitely worth remembering the fact we came so close -- but I think even if Newman made that we would've found a way to blow the game anyway.

Clemson later missed a 30 yd FG and we had the ball with the game tied -- but the O did squadoosh

And if he's bitter about the $$ withheld by donors, it was waiting on Lobo's termination.

Looks like you posted this while I was writing a post about it...will transfer my commentary here:

Seriously Grobe....just shut up.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ot-taking-nebraska-job-staying-at-wake-forest

Seriously, how much "better" of a career would Grobe have had if he had jumped? He made a shit ton of money and was allowed to fail for years at Wake. He would have been out on his ass at Nebraska with Lobo's offense.

WE didn't get stuck. YOU got stuck on Lobo, and it cost you your chance at more success and your job.

I'm tired of reading this. We built Deacon tower, we completed renovated the entire stadium, we improved the practice facility, we got the jumbo screen, and the indoor practice area was in planning stages. It very likely would have been funded and built by now if not for the shitty losing seasons. The "support" doesn't flow in when you keep awful employees on board and underachieve on the field.

The more I hear Grobe talk, the more I'm convinced he remains completely blind to what actually caused him to fail. Attempting to "blame" it on Riley is silly. Blame it on the guy who couldn't design a decent offense for anyone but Riley.
Well said. By regretting not going to Nebraska, he's essentially blaming his failure on the situation at Wake. Then he starts rationalizing the situation by things like blaming Riley, recruiting, facilities, etc. as if it were all out of his control. Ridiculous. Like the "we were stuck comment". He was changing offenses every game...we weren't stuck on anything. It was a complete lack of leadership. I hate this passive aggressive garbage he's throwing out.

What I also don't understand is this insistence on blaming the facilities WHILE saying that he should have recruited lower players that loved the game. Seriously? Isn't the point of better facilities to get higher profile recruits? If he should have recruited lower, then he wouldn't need the facilities. Make up your mind dude. You f'ed up and no one else. You should have stuck to what got you the OB like almost everyone here was saying.

I'm sure Nebraska fans don't regret not making a stronger play for him, that's for sure.

Rinse, repeat. [name redacted] re-recruited him so Dino's recruitment and offer to JT is meaningless.

[name redacted] being a pussy and not dumping who we should have dumped doesn't wash Dino's hands of the mess that occurred while he was coaching and recruiting. Once again, sounds like a UNC apologist argument.

Any unbiased source attributes players recruited by a previous coach to that coach, even if the fault is shared.

I don't hold Skip accountable in any way for the rape allegation even though he initially recruited all of those players. Again, that was the only public thing that happened under Dino's watch and it was dismissed legally.

He's just pissed that his $2.5M/year legacy gig lasted a few years shorter than he thought it would.

That's a pretty big deal, admittedly. His grandkids are going to need to be slightly more careful in who they choose to manage their inheritances to make up for the difference. :eek:hnoes:

What I also don't understand is this insistence on blaming the facilities WHILE saying that he should have recruited lower players that loved the game. Seriously? Isn't the point of better facilities to get higher profile recruits? If he should have recruited lower, then he wouldn't need the facilities. Make up your mind dude.

Good point. I completely missed that logical fallacy.

I am so happy that Grobe was finally fired and that Clawson is coaching Wake Forest's football team now. It is awesome to finally have a real head football coach that isn't afraid to actually Coach the team.

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest

Grobe sounds bitter

Really surprised that this is how things would play out between Grobe and WF

He threw a lot of blame around while he was at Wake. The surprise isn't that he does his old "I'll take the blame but I'll really blame everybody else but my staff" routine. It's that he's gunning for a new job this hard.

Hopefully this ugly divorce will remind fans to stay focused on winning and avoid the hero worship that leads to complacency. If we don't hold our coaches and administrators accountable, no one will.

Last edited:
Grobe doesn't really strike me as one who has a lot of interests outside football. I think that's the main reason he wants back in

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest

Grobe doesn't really strike me as one who has a lot of interests outside football. I think that's the main reason he wants back in

Isn't he a near scratch golfer?

He also needs to get Lobo a bigger pay check.

During the last few years of his tenure at MSD, many wandered if he had any interest in football.

If you adopt a CEO coaching style (appearing to be uninvolved) and you stick by assistants who by any measure are failing, then you accept the responsibility for those decisions...and move on.

Back