• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest (Updated)

So, I guess from reading that we can garner at least one piece of advice Grobe has given Clawson. If you have success at Wake, get out while the getting is good. :rulz:

Two of Nebraska's more prominent coaches were canned after not meeting expectations in just one or two seasons, Callahan who ultimately proved a failure despite a winning record, and Solich. Where in all of this does Grobe think he would've found tolerance from the Cornhusker fans and administration?

But I guess if you look at the bright side, Grobe might have helped expose a big problem with our AD. Upgrading facilities and overall support of the football program.

Last edited:
Two of Nebraska's more prominent coaches were canned after not meeting expectations in just one or two seasons, Callahan who ultimately proved a failure despite a winning record, and Solich. Where in all of this does Grobe think he would've found tolerance from the Cornhusker fans and administration?

Heck, Solich average 10 wins a season there and got canned.

Sounds like he's effectively blaming Price since they decided to stick with a similar offense that we had under Skinner, and Price couldn't deliver.

Not like he would've been in a position to change directions or anything if it wasn't working. Like Clawson sitting his returning starter last year at Bowling Green in favor of a younger dude who he thought was better. And all they did was go out and win the conference title.

We're in better hands now

I can't believe that it was really Riley behind last years option offense.

But I guess if you look at the bright side, a grove might have helped expose a big problem with our AD. Upgrading facilities and overall support if the football program.

I don't doubt a bit that what Grobe says about not getting the support needed is pretty accurate. I know we got the tower and video board, but I there were probably much more pressing things needs, like the players finally being able to attend both sessions of summer school and better on-campus facilities. I think having to go out and get another coach probably made Wellman realize we had to make those promises to get a good coach. However, Grobe is not doing us or himself any good by being so public with it.

Lobotzke-_Steed_HS_2014.jpg

If only we had supported football more...

Maybe Grobe should've taken less money in salary if other things were so in need of improvement?

If only we had supported football more...

No doubt the problem with offense was Lobo. Remember that crap he tried when we still had Riley, splitting our fullbacks out wide, the horrible run schemes that forced us to throw the ball so much.

Love Jim Grobe. . .would have him over to dinner if he was ever in Town. . .but you have to remember that these remarks are being made by the same guy who helped architect the triple option offense last year.

No doubt the problem with offense was Lobo. Remember that crap he tried when we still had Riley, splitting our fullbacks out wide, the horrible run schemes that forced us to throw the ball so much.

I think a lot of the crap we tried was to hide the horrific offensive line issues we have been plagued by. . .who was responsible for recruiting and developing the O Line?

Loved the OB run, but my admiration for Grobe changed during the Arkansas fiasco. Before Ark, I bought into the win-the-right-way, family-first, student-athlete, BS Grobe was preaching. He SOUNDED like the perfect fit for Wake Forest. Then came the Ark. fiasco. From all accounts, Grobe was gone, had RW not changed his mind with the pay for assistants and autonomy.

So you LOVE Wake Jim, but you were leaving for Arkansas? Freaking Arkansas? I am not saying there is anything wrong with Arkansas, but it is hard to imagine a school more different than Wake. It was kind of like TMZ catching John Edwards (the devoted husband) coming out of his mistress hotel room. From that day on, every time I heard Grobe talk about what a special place Wake was and how much he and Holly loved being there, I just rolled my eyes.

And on the Nebraska deal, I thought Grobe was dropped from consideration for his insistence on bringing his current staff (the blind spot that ultimately cost him here too).

Jim Grobe was a good man, who (from a football perspective) was very loyal to his coaches first, his players second and Wake Forest third. I wish him the best, but I would rather have a statue to the Fresh Deacs than one of Jim Grobe.

Seriously. The "we just go stuck" comment about the offense. Fucking hell.

Not too surprising that a coach who basically got fired would regret not taking a higher profile job considering after turning it down he'd find zero success. And he accepts blame for poor recruiting and not handling the players well. The facilities argument is a fair one - I'm sure every potential coach Wellman spoke to demanded upgrades to accept the spot.

But the crap about Riley and accidentally ending up in a pro style offense as if there was nothing that could be done... He's talking himself out of legitimate program consideration with that kind of "I was head coach but there was nothing I could do" nonsense. He's either saying he can't win without a Riley Skinner falling out of the sky or he can't adjust his coaching style to today's players.

I'd love to hear an Odom interview where he talks about Tim Duncan hurting the team because it lead to us getting more highly rated recruits who struggled in class and fewer Joseph Amonetts who had the love of the game. Enjoy your next gig at Harvard.

I don't doubt a bit that what Grobe says about not getting the support needed is pretty accurate. I know we got the tower and video board, but I there were probably much more pressing things needs, like the players finally being able to attend both sessions of summer school and better on-campus facilities. I think having to go out and get another coach probably made Wellman realize we had to make those promises to get a good coach. However, Grobe is not doing us or himself any good by being so public with it.

WTF is all this talk about two sessions of summer school? Seriously, with a redshirting program and one summer session each year, you have to be an idiot not being able to graduate with a very easy course load. I understand the training and conditioning aspect but its only a month out of the year. If our guys can't hit the gym on their own at home for a month then that's more of a statement about the guys we are recruiting.

I think a lot of the crap we tried was to hide the horrific offensive line issues we have been plagued by. . .who was responsible for recruiting and developing the O Line?

that would be Lobo. At least until the last 2 years when he was moved from O-line coach to the tight ends and fullbacks.

Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.

WTF is all this talk about two sessions of summer school? Seriously, with a redshirting program and one summer session each year, you have to be an idiot not being able to graduate with a very easy course load. I understand the training and conditioning aspect but its only a month out of the year. If our guys can't hit the gym on their own at home for a month then that's more of a statement about the guys we are recruiting.

Clawson made it very evident that he wanted the players to attend both sessions so they could work with the strength staff here and it also was said they we were one of the few programs in the country that didn't require it. It also came out that the reason we didn't do it prior to this year was that Wellman didn't want the school to have to pay for the players to attend both sessions. This was all discussed a lot a few weeks ago.

I think he made some fair comments in that article and that to outside observers this thread would seem to be a bit extreme.

I sent my dad the article and got this response "Thanks for sharing. He is still a class act the way he accepts responsibility."

Back