• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Regrets Not Taking Nebraska Job, Staying At Wake Forest (Updated)

2deacfansbook_zpsbb266038.png

I interpreted the Skinner comments as a "cause" rather than a blame deal whether you agree with him or not. . That being said, those are clearly some UnGrobelike comments......Clearly some hurt feelings somewhere along the line. He will probably look back years from now and regret saying the things he said in that article..Hopefully as time passes, we'll all just remember the good memories of Grobe and his successes and the negative stuff will be forgotten..

Yeah. He'll strike out somewhere and come back to the fold like Odom did after his similar comments. Old coaches who tasted success don't realize their last failures were the end of their lasting legacy.

He's already moved to Georgia from what I understand, so I don't know how he could have another coaching gig/move in him. I think he's just trying to protect his legacy by telling his version of events, before everyone's attention permanently turns to the hot young coach who's shaking things up at Wake and getting facilities built.

Of course in trying to protect his legacy he is tarnishing it.

"I hate to say that Riley Skinner hurt us, because he won more games than any quarterback in Wake Forest history, but we ended up in a pro-style offense that didn't really fit us expect for Skinner," Grobe said. "We were throwing the ball every snap. We lost all that misdirection stuff. We just got stuck."

Seriously, Jim?!?! You were the God damn head coach! Needed to act like one!!!

"I hate to say that Riley Skinner hurt us, because he won more games than any quarterback in Wake Forest history, but we ended up in a pro-style offense that didn't really fit us expect for Skinner," Grobe said. "We were throwing the ball every snap. We lost all that misdirection stuff. We just got stuck."

Seriously, Jim?!?! You were the God damn head coach! Needed to act like one!!!

May be the worst technical(?) coaching quote I've ever seen in print. I mean...he's just basically saying he couldn't adjust back to what he knew best? So weird. Did Lobo have a picture of Grobe with a goat?

He's saying he could recruit a QB worth a damn post-Skinner.

I also have a problem with saying that the only player the offense fit was Riley.
I don't remember Riley throwing the ball to himself. The players weren't near the problem as the offensive coaching was and you can use whatever meaning of "offensive" you want.

The more I think about it, the more I am kinding of wishing Grobe would have taken the Nebraska job in 2007. Because in 2008 and 2009, Wake had 2 major dissapointing seasons held back by the conservative offensive scheme. Imagine a young energetic coach, with an offensive gameplan with the Fresh Deacs and Skinner....better bowl than the Navy Bowl and a losing season, that is for sure.

Welcome to the club, HCF3. It's pretty full.

Saving grace is we do seem to have still made a very strong hire in spite of five years of sub-mediocrity

I think Jim Grobe was the finest head coach we ever had and will think that until somebody else steps up and gives us another championship season. He just hung in there too long and was too loyal to his staff. In person I can tell you he is a really nice guy.

Wellman can bring out the worst in people. That's my take.

Right off hand, there's a lot of young coaching talent that would have been available then including Clawson at Richmond.

2006 will never be forgotten - it was a magical run and the Orange Bowl experience is a life time memory. Met Jim on a flight the following year - incredibly humble and genuinely nice man.

Jim appears not to realize that we are stuck with him as he is with us. Ask Davey Odom how that works.

Last edited:
Rinse, repeat. [Redacted] re-recruited him so Dino's recruitment and offer to JT is meaningless.

[Redacted] being a pussy and not dumping who we should have dumped doesn't wash Dino's hands of the mess that occurred while he was coaching and recruiting. Once again, sounds like a UNC apologist argument.

Any unbiased source attributes players recruited by a previous coach to that coach, even if the fault is shared.
Bullshit.
1. How many DUIs did JTT have during his recruitment?

2. Under this genius theory, GMoney and Teague were Skip's recruits so the "rape" allegations sullied his name, right? Damn shame that Skip recruited those rapist thugs, otherwise Dino might still be coaching here.

Context is important here:

Nebraska (coached by Bill Callahan) played at Wake in 2007. They won 20-17, but realistically should have lost.

Nebraska's AD had been fired and Tom Osborne was the interim AD.

Osborne filed Callahan and was running the search (with a search firm).

Grobe's fear was that Osborne would stay on as AD. That's a huge shadow hanging over your shoulder.

Grobe was very comfortable with Wellman. He had been promised the world in terms of recruiting budget, facilities, etc. Grobe told Nebraska he would come if Wellman came with him. I have no idea if Wellman would have been interested, but I assume so.

Nebraska declined, and eventually Wake declined as well.

When asked if he regrets not taking the Nebraska job, Grobe doesn't hesitate. "I do now, I didn't at the time," he said. "I honestly took great pride in Wake Forest. I had some really good friends there. I trusted some people there. I thought Wake was a little different than other schools. I really, at the time, felt we were going to get a bigger commitment in terms of facilities and support for the program that never really materialized. We loved all 13 years we were in Winston-Salem, but I'm not real happy with the way things ended."

To add a little more to that good context:

Nebraska (coached by Bill Callahan) played at Wake in 2007. They won 20-17, but realistically should have lost.

Riley was out injured. If he plays we win that one easy

Kenny Beck @kennybeckWXII
Just got off the phone w/former Wake Forest head football coach Jim Grobe, about this article cbssports.com/collegefootbal…Story at 11 on @WXII
-
Jim Grobe tells @WXII "I should have jumped to a bigger job" after Wake's dream season in 2006.
-
Grobe says he had major interest from Nebraska, Arkansas, Michigan, and three ACC schools but Wake "felt like home"
-
Jim Grobe adds the no. 1 reason he stayed put was his players. He had two more winning seasons after '06, but went 23-38 over final 5.
-
Grobe says "Wake has been in neutral since winning the Orange Bowl" while other ACC schools have been very aggressive w/facilities & budgets
-
Grove says Dave Clawson is a fantastic coach who can absolutely lead Wake back to its former glory, but says school needs to make investment
-
Wake Forest did just break ground on a new $21M indoor facility, although it is not supposed to be complete until late '15
-
Grobe says his comments in this article cbssports.com/collegefootbal… and to me tonight are not meant to be negative, just honest.
-
Grobe says after winning the Orange Bowl, Wake didn't accomplish what he had hoped.
-
Regarding new press box, Grobe says players/recruits know that's not for them. Believes same locker room, weight room, etc hurt recruiting.

Back