• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Army?

popodeac

Reaction score
Army fired Rich Ellerson last night. Jim Grobe said he wasn't done coaching. He has an extensive military background. Wonder if Coach Grobe or Lobo get a call about that job?

Sounds like the perfect job for him. Then guess what happens next season? I will give you 3 guesses and the first two don't count.

Seems like a good fit if Grobe truly does want to continue coaching, but I have a feeling that rather than bust his ass trying to rebuild Army's football program, at his age he'd prefer to keep golfing and taking walks with his wife.

Perhaps Lobo as HC but, like Say Hey said, don't see JG taking on that challenge at this point.

if he gets a job there, would we owe him any more money?

i think Army would be a great fit for Jim Grobe. Don't know that he could win any more games than Ellerson but Army is always going to be a hell of a tough job, even more so when the end game for your recruits is a stint getting shot at in the sandbox.

Army could do a lot worse. Jim coaches for three or four years and then passes the reins to his boy Steed.

You can't coach at Army without intensity and drive. They are looking for someone to catch up with Navy. Not sure Grobe is the guy.

You can't coach at Army without intensity and drive. They are looking for someone to catch up with Navy. Not sure Grobe is the guy.
Who knows, maybe he gets reinvigorated at a new place and finds his intensity/drive again.

Who knows, maybe he gets reinvigorated at a new place and finds his intensity/drive again.

Normally the players at the military academies don't have as much need for a rah-rah coach since their players seem to be pretty self-motivated.

How does recruiting at service academies go down? I thought I heard somewhere that since military service is a requirement, most of their players are selected from the admitted cadets rather that the traditional recruiting model. If that's the case, it may be a pretty good fit for the coaching staff since recruiting was one of the weaknesses at Wake.

Normally the players at the military academies don't have as much need for a rah-rah coach since their players seem to be pretty self-motivated.

No but they demand commitment and intensity from their leaders. What the military is all about.

How does recruiting at service academies go down? I thought I heard somewhere that since military service is a requirement, most of their players are selected from the admitted cadets rather that the traditional recruiting model. If that's the case, it may be a pretty good fit for the coaching staff since recruiting was one of the weaknesses at Wake.

I don't think that is right. I had several friends in high school who were actively recruited by the service academies for basketball. They weren't planning on going there, at least not seriously, until they were recruited. One of them got blown up, but hey, at least he got to start for 4 years instead of ride the pine at a high major.

No but they demand commitment and intensity from their leaders. What the military is all about.

I think Jim Grobe is familiar with what it takes to coach at a military academy and if he takes the job at one will do great.

They recruit just like everyone else.

This would be a good fit for Grobe if he wants to coach. I wish nothing but the best for him.

I wouldn't hire Lobo.

Back