• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Army?

Grobe will be on WFNZ 610 AM this morning around 9:30

Grobe will be on WFNZ 610 AM this morning around 9:30

On now, so far Grobe is really laying blame on the administration for not stepping up and providing the support the football program needed to keep up after the Orange Bowl. He said he figured after the Orange Bowl they (the administration) would want to go back and the commitment to keep up with facilities and such wasn't there and the whole program got complacent. As much as I love Grobe, part of me says this sounds like sour grapes, but another part of me knowing how Hatch and Wellman has approached athletics the last few years, I think he's probably being pretty honest. Interesting to say the least.

On now, so far Grobe is really laying blame on the administration for not stepping up and providing the support the football program needed to keep up after the Orange Bowl. He said he figured after the Orange Bowl they (the administration) would want to go back and the commitment to keep up with facilities and such wasn't there and the whole program got complacent. As much as I love Grobe, part of me says this sounds like sour grapes, but another part of me knowing how Hatch and Wellman has approached athletics the last few years, I think he's probably being pretty honest. Interesting to say the least.

Very interesting for sure.

Grobe got almost a brand new stadium after the OB.

Yeah, how the hell can he say the facilities were not kept up? That appears to be the only thing Ron has done right in the past 5 years.

Plus these comments are a complete 180 with regards to his glowing comments about Wellman following the win over NC State.

Grobe got almost a brand new stadium after the OB.

I think the plan for the Tower was already in the works. It would be interesting to know exactly what type of "support" he's talking about. I've always taken Grobe as being a very honest person, so evidently there were things he felt the program needed to keep up with other programs and we didn't get it. Keep in mind that there was a lot of speculation that the thing that soured our interest in Pete Lembo, were things he was asking for to support the football program.

He was fired. It's sour grapes. I mean, what do we need? Weight room and training room upgrades? (I haven't been on campus in a while). Stadium is basically new, practice fields are as good as anywhere (they look the same as UF's), film room and meeting room is new, nice facilities for coaches, most places in the South including many in the SEC do not have indoor practice facilities...what else is there?

I'm with PH. What did he want? For Wake to suddenly just expand it's undergrad program to 20,000 students so it could better support the football program? He got thrown a lot of money to coach, recruit and hire great assistants. He didn't get thrown a lot of money to stay loyal to average to below average assistants.

Yeah, how the hell can he say the facilities were not kept up? That appears to be the only thing Ron has done right in the past 5 years.

Yeah, the upgrades to the stadium couldn't have been "realistically" much better. I would guess he's taking more about training, practice and meeting facilities.

He was fired. It's sour grapes. I mean, what do we need? Weight room and training room upgrades? (I haven't been on campus in a while). Stadium is basically new, practice fields are as good as anywhere (they look the same as UF's), film room and meeting room is new, nice facilities for coaches, most places in the South including many in the SEC do not have indoor practice facilities...what else is there?

The comments surprise me for sure, but in fairness haven't we all questioned the administration's commitment to winning since the [Redacted] hire?

Even though plan for the Tower was in place, it's something he didn't have in 2006 that he did have afterwards. That was a huge improvement and he didn't take advantage of it.

Yep, he sure has played the blame game since the press conference announcing his resignation.

Somebody should ask him does any of the blame fall on him for retaining an offensive coordinator for years who had consistently worse offense production numbers? We had way too much offensive talent to finish in the bottom 10 in offensive production two consecutive years. He really is more loyal to certain assistants than he is to his employer.

Last edited:
The comments surprise me for sure, but in fairness haven't we all questioned the administration's commitment to winning since the [Redacted] hire?

Yes. We questioned it because of personnel, not facilities.

Even though plan for the Tower was in place, it's something he didn't have in 2006 that he did have afterwards. That was a huge improvement and he didn't take advantage of it.

One thing it shows me, is how controlling Wellman must be, because it's now pretty apparent that Jim had orders from Ron to kiss his ass (RW's) after the State game.

The whole program got complacent because the facilities were not upgraded to their liking? So what, the coaching staff said well, if the admin is not going to improve the facilities for us, we wont work as hard?

Maybe he believes this. By saying the program got complacent- he is saying he got complacent. Facilities are the biggest excuse card a coach can play and gets thrown out there to absolve himself of any responsibility. Hell you were successful before the new facility upgrades and less so afterwards. Go tee it up Jim and let it alone. No one believes your S**&t anymore which is why in part you are no longer coaching. You were the one that quit and gave up. Thanks for your time, for the early memories. Now it is time for someone else. Just let it go.

Yep, he sure has played the blame game since the press conference announcing his resignation.

Press Conference: "I would trust Wellman with my life" Two weeks later: "I didn't get enough support from the administration."

I think the plan for the Tower was already in the works. It would be interesting to know exactly what type of "support" he's talking about. I've always taken Grobe as being a very honest person, so evidently there were things he felt the program needed to keep up with other programs and we didn't get it. Keep in mind that there was a lot of speculation that the thing that soured our interest in Pete Lembo, were things he was asking for to support the football program.

I think the locker room, Weight room, football offices, practice fields, stadium locker room that were all "remodeled" to be #12 in the ACC circa 2004 are what he's talking about. I don't think he's referring to a way too big video board and Deacon Tower where he spends approx. 15 minutes a week. I would guess he's referring to where he and his players spend 95% of their time. The fans certainly appreciate the upgrades to stadium, I'm sure. But most of your recruiting time on campus is spent at the football center.

DUke redid their facilities around the same time, and blew us away. The practice fields/locker room/offices are more akin to a nice high school than ACC. And still is.

Last edited:
Back