• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joe Giglio sends his regards

Like Duke? Like Vanderbilt? Like Northwestern?

It's a good thing we don't have to recruit in the B1G or SEC. The excuses would be unbearable.

Grobe and his staff just aren't cutting it on the recruiting trail, and that compounds our personnel and gameplan issues.

I'm back. Falcons suck. We've had every bit the success of Vandy and NW in football and more than Duke. Are you saying otherwise? None of them are winning conference titles on a regular basis ie more than once every 25 years or so.

I'm back. Falcons suck. We've had every bit the success of Vandy and NW in football and more than Duke. Are you saying otherwise? None of them are winning conference titles on a regular basis ie more than once every 25 years or so.

We've had as much success in the Grobe-era as NW's past five years. They'll pass us this year.

Duke and Vandy have thoroughly beaten us on the recruiting trail for two straight years. Vandy has turned into a respectable program in the SEC and Duke beat us for the first time in forever last year.

My point is that other programs with similar limitations are getting it done. Our coach is close to five straight losing seasons, miserable recruiting, and not a whole lot in the way of player development.

How is that all right with you?

Because being top 10 isn't realistic at all. Wanting to be competitive with other BCS schools is a pretty realistic goal, especially since within the past decade we've won the ACC.

But why is your opinion of what is acceptable better than anyone else's? In all honesty I want to know why we can't do better. Why not top 25, perennially? At some point, everyone has to come back to some version of LOWF if you accept anything less than regular top 25's.

We've had as much success in the Grobe-era as NW's past five years. They'll pass us this year.

Duke and Vandy have thoroughly beaten us on the recruiting trail for two straight years. Vandy has turned into a respectable program in the SEC and Duke beat us for the first time in forever last year.

My point is that other programs with similar limitations are getting it done. Our coach is close to five straight losing seasons, miserable recruiting, and not a whole lot in the way of player development.

Last 5 years are not alright with me. Just not worth torching wake athletics in aggregate and grobe and the current FB program specifically because of a down cycle. We are far more likely to contend for a division title in the next 3-4 years with Grobe than without him. And the negative publicity with the moronic banners certainly can't help recruiting now, can it?

We have the lowest rated class in the BCS. Could it hurt recruiting?

\We are far more likely to contend for a division title in the next 3-4 years with Grobe than without him. And the negative publicity with the moronic banners certainly can't help recruiting now, can it?

I didn't think you could possibly top the wrongness of the first of these sentences, and then you wrote another. You REALLY think recruits are going to be aware of a failed attempt to fly a banner calling out the AD?

We have the lowest rated class in the BCS. Could it hurt recruiting?

So why were so many posters so righteously indignant about buffet steaks last week? Everyone on this board should have been of the WGAF mindset, correct?

But why is your opinion of what is acceptable better than anyone else's? In all honesty I want to know why we can't do better. Why not top 25, perennially? At some point, everyone has to come back to some version of LOWF if you accept anything less than regular top 25's.

Jim Grobe has taken us from the depths of the BCS to a team that has shown they can do better. The next step is more consistency, and then top 25 consistently, and then you continue to move on from there. You don't just go from worst to best on a consistent basis without cheating, a ridiculous coach, or a lot of hard work in the interim.

We simply need to take the next step now.

I didn't think you could possibly top the wrongness of the first of these sentences, and then you wrote another. You REALLY think recruits are going to be aware of a failed attempt to fly a banner calling out the AD?
I didn't say it would hurt recruiting, I said it wouldn't help. Do you think it would help recruiting?
But yeah, given the efforts to publicize the debacle, I believe high school football coaches who influence recruits would have heard about it.

So why were so many posters so righteously indignant about buffet steaks last week? Everyone on this board should have been of the WGAF mindset, correct?

Because we have the lowest rated class in the BCS.

I didn't say it would hurt recruiting, I said it wouldn't help. Do you think it would help recruiting?
But yeah, given the efforts to publicize the debacle, I believe high school football coaches who influence recruits would have heard about it.

Think you're giving it way too much credit. I don't think it'll have any impact whatsoever.

And certainly not as much of an impact as our poor performance the last several years and there only being three years left on ol' Jim's contract

More than tweeting the photo equivalent of "we don't have any resources. lol" on our official recruiting twitter account?

Fence, Grobe's contract runs to 2016. Do you give him an extension if we have a 5th straight losing season?

Vandy had one really good season in the SEC and is now starting down the barrel of an 0-6 record in league play this year.

Duke was 6-7 (3-5) last year and looks like they are going to be as bad if not worse this year.

Let's at least be consistent with what we consider 'getting it done'.

Last edited:
We are 3-3, but should be 5-1. We lost to BC and ULM because of Grobe's stubborness with the option. That's why everybody is grumpy. We should be planning our bowl trip to Charlotte or Nashville. Now we're hoping for Annapolis. Win games, earn respect, get stud recruits. GO DEACS!

fence do you think grobe is earning his 2.3 million dollars per year?

Not sure why posters feel the need to engage died-in-the-wool LOWFers in a discussion of Wake football. Their base premise is so flawed and cowardly that you'll never penetrate their illogic. Just a waste of time.

Jim Grobe has taken us from the depths of the BCS to a team that has shown they can do better. The next step is more consistency, and then top 25 consistently, and then you continue to move on from there. You don't just go from worst to best on a consistent basis without cheating, a ridiculous coach, or a lot of hard work in the interim.

We simply need to take the next step now.

You're absolutely right, but it won't happen with Wellman at the controls nor with a cookie-cutter type the BoT is likely to replace him with. BKF is actually correct in his contention that sub-mediocrity is deeply ingrained in the very structure of the Wake administration.

Definitely agree that mediocrity is part of the Wake DNA. Four straight losing seasons and Grobe still had plenty of support until he got started on a fifth.

Not sure why posters feel the need to engage died-in-the-wool LOWFers in a discussion of Wake football. Their base premise is so flawed and cowardly that you'll never penetrate their illogic. Just a waste of time.

This. I get sucked in every time.

Back