• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joel Purchase?

Reynolds is much too small to try and renovate even without the parking concerns. A great blueprint IMO would be Reynolds Gym at State. That building is much larger than our Reynolds, but I'd kill for a gym like that at Wake. They lost their entire home court advantage when they moved into the RBC.

As some others have said, we can buy and renovate the Joel into a killer arena for significantly less than building new. I honestly see WFU eventually moving all of the athletics fields/buildings to the new athletics campus and turning the existing buildings into student buildings. I have no evidence of this, but it's my hunch from the actions of the past 10-15 years.

Reynold's Coliseum at NCSU seated 12,400 for bball. And it seemed like 3/4 of those seats were behind the baskets. But it was a great homecourt advantage.

1. On campus basketball stadium won't ever happen. There's no practical location. Parking would be a nightmare. Plus, look at what's happening down around the joel. Football, baseball, tennis, and basketball are all down there, and Wake continues to buy up land. That area is absolutely the future of Wake athletics.

2. Long-term perspective practically requires Wake to buy the Joel. Eventually it will get remodeled or rebuilt, but that's not really the point. They may take a loss on operating it, but it can't be all bad. They'll still be able to have other events there, plus they'll be able to lease the parking for the fair? Maybe?

3. Maybe I just need to read the article closely, but does this include the annex, etc?

You're absolutely right about #1 and #2. The article didn't say anything about the annex. Wake Forest ice hockey? LOL

You're absolutely right about #1 and #2. The article didn't say anything about the annex. Wake Forest ice hockey? LOL

Wake Forest Hockey games are fun as hell if you bring along a flask, especially when they follow Cyclones games on dollar beer night.

I'm not sure where I read this, but I think the blueprint for Reynolds Coliseum is the same as Cameron at Duke, just with more room behind the baskets. Always thought that was interesting.

Buying the Joel makes 100 percent sense for Wake Forest in the long term, especially considering the amount of land/development the school has already made across Deacon Blvd/Baity St. No need to tear it down, at least not for years and years.

What ever happened on the Joel purchase?

Last spring there was a lot of board chatter about the city trying to sell the Joel to Wake. Supposedly Ron Wellman was doing a study of the financing.

Whatever happened?

I was hoping that Wake would buy it and then renovate it just like Ariz. State did to a similarly sized arena.

Our basketball program desperately needs something to create some excitement. Right now it's flatlining.

For hoops, we should instead put a bubble over the end of Groves with the new scoreboard. Take down the goal posts, put the basketball court in the endzone, and let everyone sit on Deacon Hill.

Joel Coliseum

I have a question about the Joel. I was talking with a woman today who's husband is a professor at Wake. Her husband is also on the development committee which is in charge of creating the new master plan for what Wake will be in the next 30 years. I bring this up because she said that Wake just bought the Joel from the city this past week. I have no idea if this is true. Does anybody with inside info know what the deal is? I would've thought that a deal like this would've made the news somewhere.

No idea if true, but I know the City has been trying to sell it to Wake for years. The City was losing money on the Joel for the last several years, so not sure why Wake would want to put it on their books.

No annoucement. And I would think there would be headlines in the Journal.

I don't think the City could do it under cover of night. There was nothing in the last City Council meeting agenda about the Joel. If the city sold the Joel, I agree with Dirk - it definitely would have been in the Journal. That's not to say it isn't in the works and the official vote just hasn't been taken and the documents just haven't been signed, but I really doubt it was already sold.

Thats what I thought that it would be all over the news. This lady was there with a bunch of kids. It was funny since when she told us they all looked at her and were like you can't tell that and she said, "I don't care, it will be in the news anyways soon."

Maybe a deal has been reached but not voted upon by the city or something. It'll be interesting to see what we do with the Joel if this is true since it needs a lot of work.

Been saying for years that WF needs to do something to that place to give it more of a WF feel. If you are walking around the arena, you'd never know a ballgame was going on inside or that WF plays there. Hopefully if this happens, they would address this issue. I know we would all like an OCA but I for one would be glad if WF did buy it. And for goodness sake please update the darn thing.

http://www.deaconclub.com/basketball-priorities-and-phases.cfm

Basketball Project - Priorities & Phases - LJVM Ownership

Taking ownership of the Joel will enable Wake Forest to both add to its available practice space as well as enhance the game-day experience of fans. The additional space will allow for a more flexible practice schedule for both the men’s and women’s programs. Currently, with only one practice gym and both the men and women vying for practice time, space is at a premium.

Ownership of the Joel will allow Wake Forest complete control over the game-day experience. With the opportunity to brand the building from the outside in, the Joel can be transformed into the indisputable home of Wake Forest Basketball. Wake Forest would also be able to enhance the game day experience by having control over the game day operations such as ushers, concessions, catering, parking, and the Hoops Room.

Basketball Project - Priorities & Phases - "Deacon-izing" the Joel

A key initiative of the basketball project is to create the premier home-court advantage in college basketball. Wake Forest has a passionate fan base that is ready to help us take it to the next level, but the Joel needs to feel like a true home for Wake Forest Basketball. It needs to be transformed into a Wake Forest branded arena that recruits admire, fans love, and TV cameras can’t get enough of.

Deacon-izing the Joel will involve the utilization of fan engagement elements, internal and external graphics and state-of-the-art lighting that will identify the Joel as a true home to Wake Forest basketball. The enhanced branding elements will increase exposure of the Wake Forest brand through national TV coverage while the overall atmosphere will be an environment that gets crowds excited and ultimately creates the premier home-court advantage in collegiate basketball.

Back