• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joel Purchase?

http://www.deaconclub.com/basketball-priorities-and-phases.cfm

Basketball Project - Priorities & Phases - LJVM Ownership

Taking ownership of the Joel will enable Wake Forest to both add to its available practice space as well as enhance the game-day experience of fans. The additional space will allow for a more flexible practice schedule for both the men’s and women’s programs. Currently, with only one practice gym and both the men and women vying for practice time, space is at a premium.

Ownership of the Joel will allow Wake Forest complete control over the game-day experience. With the opportunity to brand the building from the outside in, the Joel can be transformed into the indisputable home of Wake Forest Basketball. Wake Forest would also be able to enhance the game day experience by having control over the game day operations such as ushers, concessions, catering, parking, and the Hoops Room.

Basketball Project - Priorities & Phases - "Deacon-izing" the Joel

A key initiative of the basketball project is to create the premier home-court advantage in college basketball. Wake Forest has a passionate fan base that is ready to help us take it to the next level, but the Joel needs to feel like a true home for Wake Forest Basketball. It needs to be transformed into a Wake Forest branded arena that recruits admire, fans love, and TV cameras can’t get enough of.

Deacon-izing the Joel will involve the utilization of fan engagement elements, internal and external graphics and state-of-the-art lighting that will identify the Joel as a true home to Wake Forest basketball. The enhanced branding elements will increase exposure of the Wake Forest brand through national TV coverage while the overall atmosphere will be an environment that gets crowds excited and ultimately creates the premier home-court advantage in collegiate basketball.

Love the tag. Love this quote. Love the Joel.

Really cool stuff on that link all the way around. Thanks for sharing.

I actually think buying the Joel could be a long term win for Wake. We get it on the cheap in this economy. We control events. We have a sports matrix with football, baseball, tennis and basketball. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Wake isn't exactly cash poor. And it puts us in a position to hold ancillary events. Like it or not we have no room for an on campus arena. Making the Joel our own makes a lot of sense to me.

I actually think buying the Joel could be a long term win for Wake. We get it on the cheap in this economy. We control events. We have a sports matrix with football, baseball, tennis and basketball. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Wake isn't exactly cash poor. And it puts us in a position to hold ancillary events. Like it or not we have no room for an on campus arena. Making the Joel our own makes a lot of sense to me.

Not to mention, it's a great piece of real estate for future campus expansion.

It's not unsimilar to dumbing into the glass palace. We need space.

Um yes, its the only thing that makes since. Bball, football and baseball will all be together like it should be. A really nice complex for a school of wakes size. The joel holds a special nlace in my heart since ive been going since its opening. Its still a nice building, the city just put a new roof on it, it just needs updating and to be more deaconized. Have watched a lot of special games in that place. Finally now they will change those green freaking seats upstairs!!!! Ive only have been wishing for this for a
bout 15 years now.

Wake needs new science buildings way before it needs to own its own (outsized) arena.

Um yes, its the only thing that makes since. Bball, football and baseball will all be together like it should be. A really nice complex for a school of wakes size. The joel holds a special nlace in my heart since ive been going since its opening. Its still a nice building, the city just put a new roof on it, it just needs updating and to be more deaconized. Have watched a lot of special games in that place. Finally now they will change those green freaking seats upstairs!!!! Ive only have been wishing for this for a
bout 15 years now.

Maybe when we exchange all the bleachers at Groves for chairs, we can get a huge discount and replace the green ones and also the blue and red ones at Ernie Shore.

Maybe when we exchange all the bleachers at Groves for chairs, we can get a huge discount and replace the green ones and also the blue and red ones at Ernie Shore.

Yeah that would be nice.

Like it or not we have no room for an on campus arena. Making the Joel our own makes a lot of sense to me.

We own the building and it IS an on-campus arena. Maybe not as optimal as building a smaller basketball-only arena, but still miles and miles ahead where we are currently from a fan experience and home court advantage standpoint. Not only do we gain the arena, but we gain the football (and fair, etc) parking revenue of the lots surrounding it as well as a lot of additional land that could be developed in the future if we determine all of the parking is not needed (i.e. auxiliary bball parking can take place at Groves and along the redevelopment taking place in the tailgating zone in order to free up some space).

Wake needs new science buildings way before it needs to own its own (outsized) arena.

If the city offers any science buildings for sale at a cheap price, I'm sure we'll snatch them up. :thumbsup:

Great move if true. This will complete the acquisition of the entire parcel that encompasses the basketball, football, baseball, tennis, and ancillary parcels, such as Deacon Blvd. Anyone who has ever done real estate development knows that controlling the entire parcel makes the whole much more valuable than the sum of the individual parts. And, as we all know, if you have the cash this is a super time to be buying real estate (and I'm assuming Wake paid bottom dollar).

While some will (as usual) carp about the purchase, this is very much in Wake's long-term best interest, not only for athletics, but for the university as a whole.

Good move by Ron Wellman. This is about the future, not just next week or next season.

Last edited:
Down with the Joel! Bring back the army surplus Quonset Hut including the applause meter. :)

I agree. If the city can honor veterans, no reason Wake can't.

Cannot imagine anyway to take down the memorials without a PR disaster.

Buy it to raze it.
No way Joel should be torn down without another arena built and ready to go. Where would Wake play basketball? Greensboro? You may remember we tried that. It did not work very well.

Do we keep it the same name? Or change it to BB&T Sony Goodyear Nyquil Doritos Chevrolet Arena?

Back