• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joel Purchase?

Do we keep it the same name? Or change it to BB&T Sony Goodyear Nyquil Doritos Chevrolet Arena?

I hope we change the name. Would be silly to buy a sports venue and not take advantage of such a simple money making opportunity.

I know all about the name. I grew up in/around Winston-Salem and I was there the night they opened the doors of the building to the public. Still have the memorial medallions they were passing out at the door. It's easy enough to keep the Lawrence Joel name/memorial and tack on naming rights as well. There's almost no way that a corporate name doesn't end up on the building in some shape or fashion, IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, this wouldn't be us selling the naming rights and taking the name away from someone who gave us money a million years back.

Still wouldn't be surprised if we sold the name of the court, "arena", or the vomitorium from which the players enter or something.

Ohio State plays in the Value City Arena at the Jerome Schottenstein Center, for instance.

ETA - Ha, looks like one of the tags already suggested that.

Still wouldn't be surprised if we sold the name of the court, "arena", or the vomitorium from which the players enter or something.

Thats becoming quite the trend here recently, especially for former coaches. Koach k court and Cremins Court come to mind.

I know all about the name. I grew up in/around Winston-Salem and I was there the night they opened the doors of the building to the public. Still have the memorial medallions they were passing out at the door. It's easy enough to keep the Lawrence Joel name/memorial and tack on naming rights as well. There's almost no way that a corporate name doesn't end up on the building in some shape or fashion, IMO.

The Groves family disagrees.

#krispykremekourt, hilarious.

Making our home court experience better will only aid the recruiting process, which is already getting some nice momentum.

The Groves family disagrees.

1) Not really even close to the same thing.
2) No need for a #2.

Ok, let me explain. There is a huge memorial out in front of the building. The idea and name of the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial can't and won't go away unless the memorial is razed. It's far different from a family name that was added to a facility back in 1968 due to a $$ contribution, that was later superseded by another large $$ contribution to seriously upgrade said facility. The actual name of the building will likely always include a reference to LJ, but I see no reason not to tack on "BB&T Complex" or something similar as the marketing name if we can make a few million $$ to offset the losses we'll take operating LJVM. We already struggle to compete facilities wise with larger institutions. We need every advantage we can get.

Last edited:
1) Not really even close to the same thing.
2) No need for a #2.

Ok, let me explain. There is a huge memorial out in front of the building. The idea and name of the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial can't and won't go away unless the memorial is razed. It's far different from a family name that was added to a facility back in 1966 due to a $$ contribution, that was later superseded by another large $$ contribution to seriously upgrade said facility. The actual name of the building will likely always include a reference to LJ, but I see no reason not to tack on "BB&T Complex" or something similar as the marketing name if we can make a few million $$ to offset the losses we'll take operating LJVM. We already struggle to compete facilities wise with larger institutions. We need every advantage we can get.

I agree with this. But I also remember a lot of talk about how the Groves name was still going to be prominent when BB&T bought the naming rights. I may be wrong but I remember it being mentioned that it would be BB&T Field at Groves Stadium. But you certainly don't see the Groves Stadium name anywhere now.

For whoever tagged "cp3 court", that would be a bad choice. We'd have a court that only went to midcourt before deciding to take its hardwood to a NBA arena

I'm glad to see that. It is disturbing to look in the Media Guide/Game Programs and see records for BB&T Field, when they are actually records set in Groves Stadium. The 2006 ACC Champs played in Groves Stadium, not BB&T Field. I know it is nitpicky but it seems like trying to rewrite history.

Exactly. It's like when they say that Dale Earnhardt was a 7 time Nextel Cup champion. Wrong he's a 7 time Winston Cup Champion.

Back