• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Joel Purchase?

Hopefully, we get enough money from the naming rights to do some serious upgrading and remodling to the building.

Amazon.Com Colesium
Apple Arena

I can understand that first point, though I disagree. A hometown MOH recipient is a big deal and deserves to be honored. And it seems to me that the monuments outside the stadium are a good memorial to those who have fallen in battle. I do think the memorial probably should be moved to a more accessible spot for citizens. Unless you go to games or events there, your never going to visit the memorials; as far as I know the parking lot is closed most of the time so you can't easily stroll in and check it out.

The map laying out the memorials is also like 10 years old and falling apart.

If you think thats the real reason, then i feel really sad for you my friend.

Well, you seem like a very enlightened person on the subject. Why don't you just say what you think the real reason is that they named it after him?

From what I've read, the Joel hosts around 100 events per year with WFU Basketball being the most profitable part of it. The Joel lost like $850k last year, but I'm not sure if that was just the Joel or the entire complex. Other than the fair and Ribfest, there isnt much use in the fairgrounds that I know of and there is a lot of upkeep. Now that there isnt a minor league hockey team playing in the Annex, I assume its a money pit as well.

All they need to do is hold a few more tractor pulls, rodeos, mud wrestling, arm wrestling, bare-knuckle brawls and gun shows and they're in the black. No brainer...

Race relations, nothing more, nothing less.

Regardless of the reason, they found someone deserving. No matter how troubled his life was when he returned, winning the MoH overshadows all the negative.

In case people aren't aware, this is from his MoH citation.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. Sp6c. Joel demonstrated indomitable courage, determination, and professional skill when a numerically superior and well-concealed Viet Cong element launched a vicious attack which wounded or killed nearly every man in the lead squad of the company. After treating the men wounded by the initial burst of gunfire, he bravely moved forward to assist others who were wounded while proceeding to their objective. While moving from man to man, he was struck in the right leg by machine gun fire. Although painfully wounded his desire to aid his fellow soldiers transcended all personal feeling. He bandaged his own wound and self-administered morphine to deaden the pain enabling him to continue his dangerous undertaking. Through this period of time, he constantly shouted words of encouragement to all around him. Then, completely ignoring the warnings of others, and his pain, he continued his search for wounded, exposing himself to hostile fire; and, as bullets dug up the dirt around him, he held plasma bottles high while kneeling completely engrossed in his life saving mission. Then, after being struck a second time and with a bullet lodged in his thigh, he dragged himself over the battlefield and succeeded in treating 13 more men before his medical supplies ran out. Displaying resourcefulness, he saved the life of one man by placing a plastic bag over a severe chest wound to congeal the blood. As 1 of the platoons pursued the Viet Cong, an insurgent force in concealed positions opened fire on the platoon and wounded many more soldiers. With a new stock of medical supplies, Sp6c. Joel again shouted words of encouragement as he crawled through an intense hail of gunfire to the wounded men. After the 24 hour battle subsided and the Viet Cong dead numbered 410, snipers continued to harass the company. Throughout the long battle, Sp6c. Joel never lost sight of his mission as a medical aidman and continued to comfort and treat the wounded until his own evacuation was ordered. His meticulous attention to duty saved a large number of lives and his unselfish, daring example under most adverse conditions was an inspiration to all. Sp6c. Joel's profound concern for his fellow soldiers, at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country

I really don't care about the underlying reasons. The man is deserving of the honor.

Race relations, nothing more, nothing less.

You don't think the little fact that Joel won the MOH had anything, at all, to do with the selection to name the building after him? He is the only man from Winston-Salem to receive the award.

ETA: Even if it was done with the thought of smoothing race relations in WS, is that a bad thing? No. Joel deserved the award and he deserved to have a building named after him. Hell, the city threw a parade for Joel in 1967; make of that what you will, but I'm pretty sure the 1960's were not the friendliest time in regards to race relations.

Anyway, when the inevitable comes and Wake renames the building, I hope Joel is still honored in some way in a prominent part of the city.

Last edited:
They'll probably fuck it up with something like Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Historical Markers at Krispy Kreme Koliseum.

IIRC, there was a huge opposition from some very vocal local groups for his name being placed on the building back in 1989. Any old timers care to chime in?

Also, check out the official music video of 8th of November by Big and Rich. The prologue is a tribute to Lawrence Joel.

City will need to come up with an alternative way to honor Mr. Joel, either on the grounds of the arena or somewhere else.

Also, check out the official music video of 8th of November by Big and Rich. The prologue is a tribute to Lawrence Joel.

Did you know that already, or did you see it on Wikipedia......like I did.:)

(I'm guessing LJ wiki page has gotten a few hits this afternoon)

Not sure how I never knew that about that Big n Rich song, pretty cool.

Did you know that already, or did you see it on Wikipedia......like I did.:)

(I'm guessing LJ wiki page has gotten a few hits this afternoon)

I remembered it from the thread on the scout boards when the song was originally released.

I just want it renames something wake related. It will probably be corporate related when the time comes. Anyway just glad that the ball seems to be rolling on this thing. Never thought i would see it to be honest.

Back