• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Bolton would be a great candidate.

Absolute CRAP. There has NEVER been ANY Senate nearly as obstructionist as this Senate.

Cut, cap and balance makes Three Card Monte look "fair and balanced". CCB shoudl be run by Bernie Madoff.

Absolute CRAP. There has NEVER been ANY Senate nearly as obstructionist as this Senate.

Cut, cap and balance makes Three Card Monte look "fair and balanced". CCB shoudl be run by Bernie Madoff.

They are rightfully obstructionist because the crap your guys are trying to foist on this country is ruinous. And Bernie Madoff has nothing on Barney Frank when it comes to ponzi schemes.

You mean like the 50+ bills that have over 350 votes from the House that they blocked?

McConnell stopped over a dozen bill that had over 400 votes in the House. That meant over 85% of Republicans voted for those bills.

BTW, nothing Frank did gave Wall Street or banks or mortgage companies the right to commit the most massive fraud in US history.

Blaming him for the criminal actions of those people is like blaming the clown college for John Wayne Gacy.

They are rightfully obstructionist because the crap your guys are trying to foist on this country is ruinous. And Bernie Madoff has nothing on Barney Frank when it comes to ponzi schemes.

Pos rep for the avatar.

What Bush & the neocons did to the country for eight years is what is ruinous....and the biggest reason we have the problem we have today. Bill Clinton had pretty much got the mess that Reagan & Bush Sr made straightened out by 2000. Then the GOP stole the presidency for an arrogant, spoiled brat and proceeded to squander all the work that Clinton had done over the previous eight years. So Obama has to start all over again to try to clean another mess the Republicans left. Only this time, the mess is a lot bigger.....and the Republicans have admitted that they are going to do everything in their power....come hell or high water....to make sure that any effort Obama makes to fix the problem will fail so they can, hopefully, return to power to give more of the country away to the rich & powerful, at the expense of everyone else.

My guess is the unemployed don't care about the rich and powerful. They just want a job, Bob.

Which is why they shouldn't be supporting Republicans....unless they live in China or Mexico. Democrats create jobs in this country...not Republicans. Republicans ship jobs overseas for cheap labor.

The first Bush term had the only net job loss for a 4-year period since Hoover's term from 1929 thru 1933.

You probably think all CEOs are Republicans.

Which is why they shouldn't be supporting Republicans....unless they live in China or Mexico. Democrats create jobs in this country...not Republicans. Republicans ship jobs overseas for cheap labor.

The first Bush term had the only net job loss for a 4-year period since Hoover's term from 1929 thru 1933.

NAFTA says hello. I'll never understand why Democrats blame Republicans for shipping jobs overseas, and then laugh at them for supporting farm subsidies.

NAFTA didn't ship jobs to Mexico. Those jobs skipped Mexico and went to China and South Asia.

Some jobs went both ways. We gained lots of jobs due to expanded exports.

I get the feeling that most Republicans who post on this board would sell out their mother if they could make a few more dollars by doing so. I don't think I have ever seen a group of people who are so self-centered & greedy. And I can't help but believe there is a correlation between this and the elitism associated with people who see nothing wrong with shelling out $54K per year to attend a particular college. When the cost rises to such levels, I think you are always going to wind up with more undesirable Republicans. Back when I went to Wake Forest, I had friends who went to other schools who would tell me that I was going to a "snob school". I said that wasn't true back then....but judging by the Republicans who post on this board, I would have to agree that my friends would be right today. (And probably were even then.)

I am absolutely certain my college tuition was lower than yours, inflation adjusted.

Absolute certainty > strong doubt.

UNC, as I understand it, has a different price then you high dollah Deacs.

This pet theory of yours is up past its bedtime. I can only speak for myself, but I view our subsistence, entitlement programs as a complete failure at the economic level that we have a MORAL obligation to correct, immediately. Our failed programs are dependency-enablers borne of soft bigotry. I would much prefer we tie what are supposed to be temporary public benefits to some (any) obligation to contribute---not b/c I or you or anyone else who goes to Wake for any part of their education---"needs" that contribution; but b/c the incentive to work and contribute (or at least stop reproducing) is good for the recipient to help break the (now five generation old) cycle of dependence on a government that will eventually fail them.

Giving able-bodied people (including a succession of teenage mothers) the option to stay on long-term government benefits without any inducements to break that cycle has led to its natural, logical and immoral outcome. I am perplexed that anyone could look at the single-parent/government dependence rates in certain communities in our country and defend them. Lose-lose, if ever there was such a thing.

The notion that people who oppose these obviously failed policies are simply "too rich" or "too privileged" to understand how well meaning they were intended to be is as absurd as it is condescending. Try a new argument, but at least point it at the message rather than the messenger. I'm going to be fine; it's the 32 year old grandmother we should all be worried about.

I strongly doubt that.....unless you are measuring inflation by the rate of increase in CEO pay since I was at WF.

Were you class of 2000?

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Consumer_Price_Index/HistoricalCPI.aspx?rsCPI_currentPage=3

YEAR JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC ANN
2000 168.8 169.8 171.2 171.3 171.5 172.4 172.8 172.8 173.7 174 174.1 174 172.2
1999 164.3 164.5 165 166.2 166.2 166.2 166.7 167.1 167.9 168.2 168.3 168.3 166.6
1998 161.6 161.9 162.2 162.5 162.8 163 163.2 163.4 163.6 164 164 163.9 163
1997 159.1 159.6 160 160.2 160.1 160.3 160.5 160.8 161.2 161.6 161.5 161.3 160.5

1968 34.1 34.2 34.3 34.4 34.5 34.7 34.9 35 35.1 35.3 35.4 35.5 34.8
1967 32.9 32.9 33 33.1 33.2 33.3 33.4 33.5 33.6 33.7 33.8 33.9 33.4
1966 31.8 32 32.1 32.3 32.3 32.4 32.5 32.7 32.7 32.9 32.9 32.9 32.4
1965 31.2 31.2 31.3 31.4 31.4 31.6 31.6 31.6 31.6 31.7 31.7 31.8 31.5

The CPI averaged about 33 during the four years I was at Wake. If you were class of 2000, it would have averaged about 165 during the four years you were there. That's 5 times what it was when I was there. Are you going to try to tell me that your tuition was less than five times what my tuition was?

And your statement makes no sense whatsoever simply on the face of it....to say that you are "absolutely certain" that tuition costs are rising at a slower rate than inflation at private colleges like WF is outrageous, incomprehensible, and shows a complete lack of any grasp of knowledge of the subject.

And today:

2011 220.223 221.309 223.467 224.906 225.964 225.722 225.922

http://admissions.law.wfu.edu/about/tuition/

Tuition $37,940
University technology fee (1Ls) 500
Health fee* 316
Charges billed by WFU $38,656
Room, board, utilities 11,000
Books & supplies 1,400
Personal expenses 2,551
Transportation 2,700
Insurance (health & renter’s) ** 1,700
Estimated other costs $19,351
Total estimated costs $58,107

My total cost averaged about $2,300/year from 1965 thru 1968. $58,107 is 25+ times what the cost was in 1968. The change in CPI from 33 to 225 is less than 7 times what it was in 1968. If costs at WF in 2012 had matched the CPI increase of inflation since 1968, the total cost would be about $16,000, rather than $58,000.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that most Republicans who post on this board would sell out their mother if they could make a few more dollars by doing so. I don't think I have ever seen a group of people who are so self-centered & greedy. And I can't help but believe there is a correlation between this and the elitism associated with people who see nothing wrong with shelling out $54K per year to attend a particular college. When the cost rises to such levels, I think you are always going to wind up with more undesirable Republicans. Back when I went to Wake Forest, I had friends who went to other schools who would tell me that I was going to a "snob school". I said that wasn't true back then....but judging by the Republicans who post on this board, I would have to agree that my friends would be right today. (And probably were even then.)

I take offense at this. You are way over the line. I get the workers of the world unite stuff. Fine. You're a Marxist. But don't even begin to lay this line of bullshit on me or anyone else you don't really know. Greed doesn't know political boundries in case you haven't noticed... and you obviously haven't. Take a look at Russia. I think you better revamp the one trick pony act.

I take offense at this. You are way over the line. I get the workers of the world unite stuff. Fine. You're a Marxist. But don't even begin to lay this line of bullshit on me or anyone else you don't really know. Greed doesn't know political boundries in case you haven't noticed... and you obviously haven't. Take a look at Russia. I think you better revamp the one trick pony act.

Not even a Marxist. Probably a Leninist. More likely than not he was pulling for the Soviet Union in Bulgaria, Afghanistan, et al.

I would have as well, but for the fatals flaws in his most basic assumptions that render comedic value worth its weight in gold. I went to public school from K through college, and left graduation at Wake to join the military and live on a trailer with no A.C. in the Mojave Desert. Yes, surely my worldview has been distorted by opulent wealth and entitlement. There can be no other explanation for a dissenting opinion from the dogma of the High Church of the Welfare State.

I'm not rich. If I were rich do you think I would waste my time on this board?

We bandy a lot of stereotypes about on this board. We paint people into imaginary corners and we toss out party platitudes. That's all cool. It's just a message board. We engage in interesting discussions once in a blue moon. The thing is, most of us know it's just bullshit. I'm not sure Bob gets it.

I'm not rich. If I were rich do you think I would waste my time on this board?

We bandy a lot of stereotypes about on this board. We paint people into imaginary corners and we toss out party platitudes. That's all cool. It's just a message board. We engage in interesting discussions once in a blue moon. The thing is, most of us know it's just bullshit. I'm not sure Bob gets it.

He seems like a pretty good guy, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't mean for it to sound condescending. I think he'd be pleasantly surprised how many "Bob's" there are in today's Wake Forest students, either through grants/loans/ROTC/schollies.

He seems like a pretty good guy, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't mean for it to sound condescending. I think he'd be pleasantly surprised how many "Bob's" there are in today's Wake Forest students, either through grants/loans/ROTC/schollies.

I normally don't have a problem with Bob. I have a brother who is slightly to the left of Bob. I get it. But something about that stock post he throws out there from time to time made me snap. He brought our mothers into it. I can't let that pass without comment.

I normally don't have a problem with Bob. I have a brother who is slightly to the left of Bob. I get it. But something about that stock post he throws out there from time to time made me snap. He brought our mothers into it. I can't let that pass without comment.

"And your statement makes no sense whatsoever simply on the face of it....to say that you are "absolutely certain" that tuition costs are rising at a slower rate than inflation at private colleges like WF is outrageous, incomprehensible, and shows a complete lack of any grasp of knowledge of the subject."

This passage was my favorite. Remember, this was an excerpt from a lecture that some of us are too [whatever] to be mature enough to question our assumptions about others. Our friend Bob might have saved some face if only he had taken the time to question his own.

B: "You people paid too much for college to be as smart as I am!"

J: "No, no I don't think so, Tim. In fact, I'm absolutely certain I didn't."

B: "Oh yeah! I'll prove to you that you did (commence furious sabre/calculator rattling)! (pause) A-ha! So there!!!!"

J: [giggles to self] "Aren't you even the least bit curious WHERE I went to school? Does it bother you that your baseline assume of $58,000 was off by about $52,000.00?"

B: "Get off my lawn!"

Wake was $6800 a year when I went there... the good old days. But that was conmensurate with a lot of private schools. Bob misses the boat on NPV.

Back