• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins and the draft

I think some fans (myself included) weren't saying he wasn't ready but instead that with one more of year of incredible production he would not only be in the lottery he could make his way into the top 5 of the 18 draft. I still stand by that. Teams just didn't believe he was for real because of his quick ascension. One more of doing what he did in summer league ... adding three point range...etc... he would have been top 5. Either way it will work out for him imo. Glad to see him making a name for himself in the NBA., even if it is the summer league.

Fair opinion , just one I disagree with. The NBA has a stigma against players that are upperclassmen. They always question why a guy became good as an upperclassmen, is it because they are just older and are starting to dominate college bc they are playing against more inexperienced players i.e Buddy Hield, a guy that wasn't great until he was older. I just firmly believe that if you have a first round guarantee, you strike while the iron is hot.

I gave the Bill Simmons mailbag podcast a try the other day, and one of the guys he was talking to said Collins is his dark horse to win ROY. Simmons couldn't even take him that seriously. Then yesterday The Ringer has the nice piece on Collins.

Let's hope he keeps it up in the midst of the NBA grind. What an awesome guy. So happy for him. He would have wrecked the ACC next year.

He looks even better now than he did playing for Wake last year. He will be fun to follow in the NBA and we will all miss seeing him in a Wake uniform. Wake could have had a really good year with Collins back another year.

It also looks like Collins will be another terrific representative of Wake Forest in the NBA.
Yep. If he could have gotten to the top 5 next year, the wait may have been worth it....but either way, go or stay, Manning and the program wins.

One of my very favorite things about his ridiculous dunks is that he just turns and runs back up the court like he has done it before and will do it again...

Agree 100%. Refreshing to see.

Not comparing them as players but it's no different than Timmy D. Just keeps his head down and goes about his business. The Wake Forest Way.

Not comparing them as players but it's no different than Timmy D. Just keeps his head down and goes about his business. The Wake Forest Way.

Yesterday he was called for a horrible foul and that was the most reaction I had ever seen from him in the past 2/3 years.

He probably already knows that you have more slack to complain to refs in the NBA than college without getting T'd up

Yesterday he was called for a horrible foul and that was the most reaction I had ever seen from him in the past 2/3 years.

He probably already knows that you have more slack to complain to refs in the NBA than college without getting T'd up

Yep I saw that too. You could tell he wanted to win pretty badly despite being summer league.

For realz. 36 PER in the toughest conference in the country with his level of athleticism and shooting form? I couldn't believe he lasted to ATL. It may end up working to his advantage though as they have no one in front of him to hold back his playing time. Collins will be a household name by the end of the season.

Agreed. Stable franchise and plenty of playing time. Even an early path to being an All-Star with Butler, PG, Millsap, and possible Carmelo out of the way.

I highly recommend visiting the r/AtlantaHawks subreddit for some hilarious John "The Baptist" Collins fan talk. They are loving our guy.

Even funnier is our fans on draft night questioning him leaving early.

I'm still not convinced these fans exist. I was late to the draft night thread so maybe I just missed them, but no one seems to be able to provide an example.

I do think it's funny that many of the most adamant "he would have been crazy to stay," "how did he get drafted so low?" fans are the same people who were convinced about a year ago that Manning sucked as a coach and that Collins freshman year per possession stats couldn't hold up over extended minutes.

I highly recommend visiting the r/AtlantaHawks subreddit for some hilarious John "The Baptist" Collins fan talk. They are loving our guy.

j4g770F.jpg

I'm still not convinced these fans exist. I was late to the draft night thread so maybe I just missed them, but no one seems to be able to provide an example.

I do think it's funny that many of the most adamant "he would have been crazy to stay," "how did he get drafted so low?" fans are the same people who were convinced about a year ago that Manning sucked as a coach and that Collins freshman year per possession stats couldn't hold up over extended minutes.

There are at least 4 people in the draft thread that said they believe he would been better served to come back another year.

Not sure what people (including the Hawks) see in Schroeder. He's gotten better each year but it's hard to see him ever being a top 15 PG.

Possible hot take here, but I think the PG position is so stacked that any franchise continually looking for a top 15 PG is fooling themselves. I think there are a few elite all-time great PGs (CP, Russ, Harden, Steph), PGs who are really really good (Lowry, Wall, Dame, and others) and a lot of PGs who are either really good or have potential to be really good (Teague, IT, Kemba, etc). The rest are solid or not that good. There's nothing wrong with a 30 team league in which almost every team has a capable PG. Just get a PG who can pass and defend and get an advantage at another position instead of risking just having a god awful PG.

Last edited:
Back