• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins and the draft

OK. For those who can't understand what I said, if you have a good young PG who gets better every year, don't worry about not having "top 15" guy since the gap from "Top 15" to high 20s or so isn't that big.

Just browsing some rankings, Schroeder seems to fall in the mid to late teens.

OK. For those who can't understand what I said, if you have a good young PG who gets better every year, don't worry about not having "top 15" guy since the gap from "Top 15" to high 20s or so isn't that big.

The only position that matters is the 3. Cause the gap between them and everyone else is so wide. Lebron, Kawhi, Durant are the best 3 players in the league. Followed by Giannis, Hayward, Paul George, Melo. That's your top 7 in PER.

After that: Rudy Gay, Michael Beasley, Danillo Gallinari, Otto Porter, Tobais Harris, Harrison Barnes, TJ Warren, Shabazz Muhammad.

Possible hot take here, but I think the PG position is so stacked that any franchise continually looking for a top 15 PG is fooling themselves. I think there are a few elite all-time great PGs (CP, Russ, Harden, Steph), PGs who are really really good (Lowry, Wall, Dame, and others) and a lot of PGs who are either really good or have potential to be really good (Teague, IT, Kemba, etc). The rest are solid or not that good. There's nothing wrong with a 30 team league in which almost every team has a capable PG. Just get a PG who can pass and defend and get an advantage at another position instead of risking just having a god awful PG.

So you are saying that there are about 15 PGs that are at least really good. Seems like if you want to win in the NBA having one of them would be important.

Schroeder is barely at replacement level. Most advanced metrics don't rate him as a starting quality PG. I just can't ever see him being "really good" absent a massive leap. For JC's sake in the short term I hope I'm wrong.

The only position that matters is the 3. Cause the gap between them and everyone else is so wide. Lebron, Kawhi, Durant are the best 3 players in the league. Followed by Giannis, Hayward, Paul George, Melo. That's your top 7 in PER.

After that: Rudy Gay, Michael Beasley, Danillo Gallinari, Otto Porter, Tobais Harris, Harrison Barnes, TJ Warren, Shabazz Muhammad.

He's saying it's a bigger advantage to play an elite player at SF than PG. Seems like a Bucks fan would understand this.

So you are saying that there are about 15 PGs that are at least really good. Seems like if you want to win in the NBA having one of them would be important.

Schroeder is barely at replacement level. Most advanced metrics don't rate him as a starting quality PG. I just can't ever see him being "really good" absent a massive leap. For JC's sake in the short term I hope I'm wrong.

Giving up on a good young PG to chase getting a game changer (one of 4 players who play on 3 teams now) is a bad move.

If anyone needs a salesperson at their company, they should hire Kent Bazemore's agent. If he can KB $70M ov er 4 years, he can sell anything.

Paul
Curry
Westbrook
Harden
Giannis
Lowry
Kyrie
Wall
Lilliard
IT
Conley
Rubio
Teague
Hill
Dragic
Bledsoe
Kemba
Jrue Holiday
Beverly
Mills

That's 20 off the top of my head that are all clearly better than Schroeder. And that doesn't include the crop entering the league this year:

Fox
Lonzo
Fultz
Smith
Simmons
Teodosic

That all look like they could be on that list in the near future. Even among young guys I'd put Russell, Smart, Payton, Tyler Johnson and maybe even Yogi Ferrell (small sample size) at or above Schroeder.

Giving up on a good young PG to chase getting a game changer (one of 4 players who play on 3 teams now) is a bad move.

Is Schroeder good? And of course they shouldn't give up on him to go chase players that would never come to ATL. Who said otherwise?

Are you arguing that unless you have Steph, Harden, Westbrook, or Chris that it doesn't matter who your PG is?

There is still a huge difference between Giannis and Teague and between Teague and MCW for example.

Last edited:
So many diamonds in the Summer League that you wish you had on your team:

John Collins
D Mitchell
P Siakam - where did he come from?
Diallo
B. Forbes
Taureen Prince
Thornwell
Ojeleye - oops, he's NBA ready, should have drafted him
Marqueese Chriss
And yes, tarhole Kennedy Meeks looking efficient as he did in the tourney, unfortunately

He's saying it's a bigger advantage to play an elite player at SF than PG. Seems like a Bucks fan would understand this.

I understand Plama; I don't understand your "top 15" "top 20" PG arg.

So many diamonds in the Summer League that you wish you had on your team:

John Collins
D Mitchell
P Siakam - where did he come from?
Diallo
B. Forbes
Taureen Prince
Thornwell
Ojeleye - oops, he's NBA ready, should have drafted him
Marqueese Chriss
And yes, tarhole Kennedy Meeks looking efficient as he did in the tourney, unfortunately

Keep in mind that Glen Rice Jr. (not the dad) was once MVP of the NBA Summer League. Definitely a time to be optimistic, but there are an endless amount of players that looked legit in the Summer League that had zero impact in the NBA.

Back