• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Wolford (NFL Roster Cuts)

Congrats to Wolford who certainly epitomizes all the best of Wake Forest football.

I bet there’s not a poster among us who could have dreamed of Wolf making an NFL roster after his freshman year

what a great Deac

John never had the option to sit out of competition in order to preserve his draft status. He had to play every game and play well. He played injured, he played with almost no protection, he played teams that were vastly more talented. He played and played. He earned whatever he is getting by playing and playing exceptionally well and against all odds.

He is the epitome of a player.

John never had the option to sit out of competition in order to preserve his draft status. He had to play every game and play well. He played injured, he played with almost no protection, he played teams that were vastly more talented. He played and played. He earned whatever he is getting by playing and playing exceptionally well and against all odds.

He is the epitome of a player.

He played getting plowed into the ground time and again because the other team knew the plays he was running, thanks to one miserable cocksucker.

You have to be super happy for Wolford. There’s not too many guys that had a more difficult road to being on an NFL roster than him, he has absolutely earned this. Wake football wouldn’t be the program it is today without John Wolford.

Really amazing. Did great with the Arizona Hotshots Of the AAF, then LA practice squad behind Bortles, now John is there, Bortles is gone. I hope he does well. Jay Venuto from the'79 team is the last qb I can remember in NFL. Before him, Snead. Freddie Summers made it, but as a defensive back.

Last edited:
Hope Alex gets a spot. Like to see Hinton and Scotty also get on with someone's practice squads.

Bengals sign Scotty Washington to a practice squad spot
Giants sign Alex Bachman to a practice squad spot

Practice squad players make $8400 a week

New this season, NFL teams may promote two practice squad players to the active roster each week— teams will 55 man active rosters for games, instead of 53.

Last edited:
Really amazing. Did great with the Arizona Hotshots Of the AAF, then LA practice squad behind Bortles, now John is there, Bortles is gone. I hope he does well. Jay Venuto from the'79 team is the last qb I can remember in NFL. Before him, Snead. Freddie Summers made it, but as a defensive back.

Mike Elkins had about four years in the 80s.

I guess it was meant as complement but isn’t Wolford 6” taller than Flutie? Either way good for him!

Absolutely a compliment....and frankly, John does play a lot like Sir Douglas. Physically isn’t really accurate. Flutie was 5’9” 175 at BC maybe 185 in the NFL/CFL. John has a good accurate arm while Flutie, despite his modest stature, had a canon for an arm.

I've stood next to John and he's probably 5'11.. definitely not 6'1

Back