• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Wolford (NFL Roster Cuts)

Thought this was funny and possibly accurate from Drew Magary's Why Your Team Sucks preview on the Rams

Bortles is gone. Your backup is John Wolford. I had to look that up just now. I have no fucking idea who John Wolford is. Says here that he went to Wake Forest and is the all-time leader in touchdown passes… for the AAF. John Wolford is the kinda dude who’ll be working at a law firm 10 years from now. Some people in the office will know Wolford was once in the NFL, but when they try to tell their colleagues NONE of them will believe it.

Speculating out my arse, but Sean McVay seems like the type of guy that could care less about reputation. McVay's system is intricate and demands precision. Guessing Wolford outworked every other player on the offense in learning the details and McVay loved that; Blake Bortles has already made over $54 million in the NFL, and guessing he could GAF about all the necessary details. Also, Wolford is a tough MFer. Realize he will never be a NFL starting QB for a season, but when the time comes for Wolford to play, he will be ready, and he will run the offense exactly as McVay wants and will get results, at least in the short run. Everyone underestimates John Wolford, but he is a gamer. FWIW, in 10 years, can definitely see Wolford as a coach.

Last edited:
Yeah. Wolford was good in interviews here. Could see him as a coach or commentator. Obviously being QB2 for the Rams makes both even more likely.

I didn't even read Why Your Team Sucks this year. I'm sure it's a dissertation about the Panthers.

The panthers version probably doesn’t even need much effort. Your team sucks...because they turned over half the roster and they will actually really suck.

Yeah. Wolford was good in interviews here. Could see him as a coach or commentator. Obviously being QB2 for the Rams makes both even more likely.

I didn't even read Why Your Team Sucks this year. I'm sure it's a dissertation about the Panthers.

well you'd have to subscribe to the new site Defector to read it. all the Deadspin staff that quit last year just launched their own subscription-based site last week. if you liked old Deadspin, you should consider subscribing since it's writer-owned.

I can’t see wolford as a commentator like Riley, but definitely a coach. I’m actively following the Rams now just to see if he gets in. When Goff took that shot to the head on the pick, I wondered.

What are Wolford’s contract details?

Wolford is a bargain. Doubt there is an NFL QB getting less cash.

$150K signing bonus on a two year contract, which is pro-rated at $75K per year. $610K base salary, none of it is guaranteed. So, if he stays on the roster for the season; Wolford will make $760K this year.

Next year, if he makes the team again, Wolford will make $780K. Here is the link: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/john-wolford-27998/

Someone tell I'm wrong here, but this strategy of preparing to play professional football by not playing football makes no sense. If you are a first rd LOCK and leave early, i get it. But Dortch, Washington, Newman and Surratt made bad decisions. And the reason i include Washington on this list is sitting out the Pinstripe Bowl. I am 95% sure he was healthy.

Agree with this take. Still surprised that Dortch did not make a roster somewhere. Maybe 2 more years of setting ACC records and getting better hands (holding on to the ball) would have done it.

I think Newman's choices have been very harmful to his prospects. I guess 20 year olds make unwise choices whether in football or not.

Last edited:
I agree that Dortch staying in the ACC would’ve been good for us and good for him in terms of making a name for himself. But on a sheer skill level, if he was good enough to play in the NFL, wouldn’t he be in the NFL? He had his chances. And I say that as a massive Dortch fan.

Dortch wasn't drafted high enough to secure a place on the roster of an NFL team. He had to earn it against players that were on the roster. He left Wake after receiving mention of All-American status. Had he stayed at Wake for two more seasons he probably would have secured AA status, possibly twice. That would have improved his position in the draft and secured him a contract on the roster. All pro teams want their top picks to succeed and contribute to team success. None want to admit they made poor draft choices. Preference is given to those players when decisions need to be made. Surratt and Newman are in the same position. They showed enough skills to be considered for AA, but neither made it. Like Dortch, their success translated into a winning record overall and a .500 record in conference. No big deal on a national scale. If Newman and Surratt had returned to Wake and their success translated into a 9-2 record and a Top 25 ranking at seasons end, they would be strong contenders for AA status with team success backing them. That improves a players position in the draft, their probabilities for a spot on a roster and their chance to play.

I agree that Dortch staying in the ACC would’ve been good for us and good for him in terms of making a name for himself. But on a sheer skill level, if he was good enough to play in the NFL, wouldn’t he be in the NFL? He had his chances. And I say that as a massive Dortch fan.

Maybe, but you only get a certain number of chances. If you start those chance with 2 more years of experience and strength, you would seem to have better odds.
You gotta think 2 more years in the weight room would have made him stronger. You likely get a better look from the team if they spent a draft choice on you since you have some ACC receiving records under your belt. Who knows?

Sometimes chances are muffed and fumbled away. Love me some Dortch. Nobody at Wake was more fun to watch. Stayed he would have been everybody's All American.

“He left Wake after receiving mention of All-American status. Had he stayed at Wake for two more seasons he probably would have secured AA status, possibly twice”

I get the overall jist of your post but Dortch actually was on multiple 1st and 2nd All American teams as a punt returner and all purpose player after his sophomore season before he left for the draft...

“He left Wake after receiving mention of All-American status. Had he stayed at Wake for two more seasons he probably would have secured AA status, possibly twice”

I get the overall jist of your post but Dortch actually was on multiple 1st and 2nd All American teams as a punt returner and all purpose player after his sophomore season before he left for the draft...

I recall that fact. AA as a punt returner or APP don't carry the same status or importance as receiver in the NFL draft, hence my wording.

I recall that fact. AA as a punt returner or APP don't carry the same status or importance as receiver in the NFL draft, hence my wording.

AA at any position does not carry any importance in the NFL draft

there is usually a correlation, of course, but no NFL scout cares who people voted for in postseason awards

He was dynamite at Wake. We all know this. Electric. All he needed to do was show those skills with either of the teams he was given a fair chance to play for. Why he didn't, I don't know.

Yes, I think he left too soon, for his sake and ours. But I also think at some point you either show that you have NFL skills or you don't. And it's not like he never got the chance to prove himself. Maybe not much of one, but he did get one. Just hate it for him. And he was definitely one of my favorite all time football Deacs because of the kind way he treated my son at Meet the Team Day.

Yeah. Dortch got plenty of chances. More than most undersized WR/KR/PR. And maybe he'll get a shot with the CFL, XFL, or some other league. He's only 22.

Back